Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2013, 05:18 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,406,825 times

Advertisements

My mom now has arthritis in her tibia plateu which she broke last August. She had a cortizone shot but she felt the pain got worse after that. Now her doctor wants her to come in every week so that they can inject liquid into her knee to lubricate it. Anyone else have this? Who knows if her insurance will even cover that. She is not sure she wants to go that route. If that doesn't work the doctor mentioned surgery again. For what??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 03:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,193 times
I had a rod incerted in tibia for a spiral severe break almost going through skin. 7 weeks with continued pain just got the results of a 3rd xray for checking post op alignment. Come to find out my fibula has a severe break beginining about inch and a half below ball and travels all the way almost vertical but complete break with seperation to about the middle of my fibula. Going back to xrays frm the other visits weeks earlier the complete break was there and missed. now it is very unstable and not aligned complete seperation and also the tibia shifted and no longer aligned like the month before. i have been "recovering" 7 weeks now and only tried to walk because the Dr said toss crutches. I told him the area of pain before trying to walk on it and now have to go back to him monday morning emergency visit to see what we do now. the doctor of rehab/ pt found the problem and my dr had been out since i had xray done. I dont know the proceedure from here. very nervous and of course was told get off the leg. I am curious if anyone ever had this happen and does all of this require surgery and what is typical proceedure to align and repair this mess

Old 05-18-2013, 04:47 PM

347 posts, read 314,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracilynn ss View Post
I had a rod incerted in tibia for a spiral severe break almost going through skin. 7 weeks with continued pain just got the results of a 3rd xray for checking post op alignment. Come to find out my fibula has a severe break beginining about inch and a half below ball and travels all the way almost vertical but complete break with seperation to about the middle of my fibula. Going back to xrays frm the other visits weeks earlier the complete break was there and missed. now it is very unstable and not aligned complete seperation and also the tibia shifted and no longer aligned like the month before. i have been "recovering" 7 weeks now and only tried to walk because the Dr said toss crutches. I told him the area of pain before trying to walk on it and now have to go back to him monday morning emergency visit to see what we do now. the doctor of rehab/ pt found the problem and my dr had been out since i had xray done. I dont know the proceedure from here. very nervous and of course was told get off the leg. I am curious if anyone ever had this happen and does all of this require surgery and what is typical proceedure to align and repair this mess
While I'm not a doctor, I think you will be looking at surgery with internal or external fixation. Doctors choice on how to do the repair I think.

I'm a workers' comp adjuster, and had my own external hardware in my leg after a fall off a roof, crushing my ankle basically, and popping the femur on the right leg.

You should turn out ok though, I'm fine now after a 2 story fall. You will get through it.

The missed diagnosis sounds like malpractice from here though. It sounds severe, and should have been seen. If you have been weight bearing at some point, that almost certainly made it worse.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 3,164 times
Hi to all my name is Paseka,I had a tibial compoud fracture 3months ago just about a week ago i went to hospital to take the plaster out and i can walk again without crutches but the doctor said i must walk with them fot two weeks,so my only concern is that my leg is heating up or swelling when i seat down and a lil opain but i can detect a change of healing everyday so what are you guys recomend or what should i do? i love you all by sharing those fruitful info guys

Old 06-09-2013, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,094 times
Hi everyone, new in the forum, great forum nothing better than reading other people experiences, make me think I'm not alone on this, we'll I'm in my 3rd week post surgery recovery, I broke my fib/ tib and ancle dislocated, need to go back to my doc on June 26, for me like everyone else it's been hard especially when im struggling to pay my bills and not been able to work, doctor tell me i be off for up to 14 weeks, no insurance and I already have a pile of hospital bills, does anyone know how to deal with this problem? I benn hearing recovery stories which are great but not so many about how to deal with the hospital bills. Please let me know.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,972 times
Hi, new to this thread. I have been doing research and have been reading through many comments for a little while now. I was hit on my motorcycle while riding around 40mph on 5/2/13. I had a compound fracture of Tib/Fib, at surgery later that evening. Ortho had to remove pieces of Tib that shattered. I had a rod and four screws put in Tib, Ortho didn't do anything with Fib. I ended up having a bone graft done on 6/26 because my Ortho said the amount of bone removed would not grow back, I also had no bone growth. I didn't start pt until about a week ago so my knee cap is very stiff and hurts to bend. My ankle is swollen and also tight. I was non weight bearing until after the bone graft, last week I was told I could put up to 50% as tolerated. I am only able to put about 40lbs on my left leg. I have pain just pushing on my left foot with my right on the top and bottom. I just got an Exogen bone stimulator 1.5 weeks ago. Anyone have any experience using this kind? I've done a lot of research and it appears high impact fractures take a while to heal. Wanted to find out how long it took for others to walk without crutches? My ROM is horrible so PT is going to be a lot of work. Any advice would be appreciated, Mike.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:32 AM

4 posts, read 10,708 times
Hi all,

just found this forum. I'm in my 9th week of post-op recovery. Fractured Fibular and dislocated Tibia. I have a YouTube account and I am turning my experience into a feature documentary film. The first video I want to show you is the night I went to the ER and they readjusted my Tibia. This video is the minutes after the ordeal, after I was doused with sedative and morphine:

Me After getting my foot re-adjusted from the tibia - YouTube

This second clip features clips from my documentary called BUT STILL HERE, which is an appropriate title because as those of us with fractured fibs know, we're down but not out for the count:

"But Still Here..." teaser promo - YouTube

This third clip is me directing an actress to do a kick -- me, a handicap

handicapped film director choreographing kick - YouTube

THis is behind the scene footage of me directing a scene for a martial arts film:

D.H.A.R.M.A. 9 behind the scenes for IRON BAT - YouTube

And this is a teaser trailer for said martial arts film, which I directed while on a wheechair which became a defacto dolly for me:

teaser trailer: D.H.A.R.M.A. 9 (2013) kung fu action - YouTube

In about 5 days from this post I will be going back to my doctor who is going to tell me when I will be headed back to the table to remove the screws by my fibia, and when walking rehab will start. I will keep you all posted.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:55 AM

Here is my newest video with clips from my documentary, BUT STILL HERE, set to the tune of Coldplay's "Paradise." I did it more for myself as a reminder of how far I've come in this journey, as I am only two days away from the news I am hoping to hear, which is when I'll get my followup surgery and when I can start walking again.

I hope whoever comes to this thread sees the video and is inspired by the hope that they, too, will soon walk, but that they must endure the obstacles a fractured leg brings. They must own the pain and depression that comes with it, but press on, look towards a goal and fight for that goal, even in your weakest state. The payoff will be huge.

If you have a fractured fibula and are homebound for a while, chin up. I dedicate this video to you. As one who has been homebound for months, I understand. We will get there.

Coldplay - Paradise (But Still Here mix) - YouTube

Old 09-08-2013, 06:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,781 times
Default broken fibula and tibia bones

I broke my fibula and tibia bone and toes, had rod, plates, screws, due to motorcycle accident, I was the passenger. June 24th was the accident but the hospital didn't have the hardware to do the surgery, due to swelling I waited until July 2nd. It is Sept 8th now and am still no weight on my leg or foot yet. I started PT last week, there is still swelling and pain and it is very hard to get around with crutches. I am 55 year old female. It has been a long summer and spending most of it in bed with my leg elevated. Dr is saying at least another 3, 4 weeks before I start to put any weight on it. I am down to the boot cast and it is such a relief to get air on my leg again!

Old 09-13-2013, 09:07 AM

I just had follow up surgery this past Wednesday the 11th. This is my video showing my progress. As of this post, I am walking alot better, and the independence has been a big time blessing. My life is starting to come back to me, Thank God.

Walking again - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness