Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2009, 12:10 PM

69 posts, read 334,273 times

Advertisements

ellen,

Yes it is because of the swelling, my entire leg swells as I broke my femur too. I was more upset this time, this was a much worse accident, first injury was a fall down the stairs this was car accident where i was in the hospital for 16 days. This was much harder to get thru and lots more to deal with. With this new injury my leg will look the same as the other far too much scarring, I swore I would not wear shorts out in public this summer but I got over it, you may have loved your legs but your family and friends I am sure the person you are on inside and that is what really counts

margie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 12:31 PM

5 posts, read 51,652 times
Margie,
Oh, I am so blessed! My family members have been real champs in helping me and they love me know matter what my legs look like. I know that it is silly but I guess it's just part of the process. I was in the hospital a week with each surgery and in the bed other than the potty b/c of excessive swelling for 5 weeks. I couldn't believe how weak I was but that has slowly improved.
Ellen

Old 09-04-2009, 01:31 PM

69 posts, read 334,273 times
Ellen

I was really lucky with both injuries as each one only required one surgery. I have all of my hardwear still in, I have a total of about 17 screws, a plate and 2 rods. With this injury they also placed Vena Cava Filter in my heart to prevent any blood clotts that might form from traveling to my lungs. I get scared just thinking about the stuff I already went thru and cannot believe it all inside my body it is so weird, the things they can do. The confindment is tuff and no one understands how you feel unless they have lived it.

margie

Old 09-04-2009, 05:25 PM

83 posts, read 296,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linnj68 View Post
Hi~
All this sounds so normal! You'll see a huge difference in healing progress within a month now that you are 50% WB. It made a lot of difference for me! Just keep on listening to your body......it will tell you more than the doctors can. I had to laugh really hard reading where you said you think that your brain forgot you had another leg! HAHAHA! That was too funny and I feel ya!
I wish you much success

Hehe. Thanks for the reply =) Many people have said the ankle pain is all very normal, i gave it a rest on Thursday and today i walked abit and the pain wasnt as bad which pleased me!
Although i really cannot see how im going to progress without the crutches, im way to dependent on them!

Old 09-04-2009, 08:57 PM

9 posts, read 58,019 times
hi just wanna say good day to everyone. i hope that everybody is doing well on our recovery. Just keep the spirits high. Everything happens for a reason. For me, the first moment that i broke my tib and fib the night of 8/25, i think right away that my plans was all down the drain. all the frustration and all the bad emotions came into me and i let out a loud yell not from the pain but from all this emotion.
today is my 10 days post op. this injury certainly bring me and my gf closer to each other. Considering we are planning to get married next year(JUNE), is a motivation itself for me to get better and and be up and about in couple of months. i am more appreciative of my family now,(i live in another country) though they not here i receive everyday call and text message from them.
Let's take it one day at a time. This will be one long journey for all of us. But at the end we will get to that destination , a new person, made stronger by this experience and more appreciative of life and evrything around us

Old 09-05-2009, 04:01 AM

83 posts, read 296,230 times
Im pleased to hear its brought you and your girlfriend closer together, its pushed me and my boyfriend further apart. His temper is very short with me, im staying with my parents and when he comes over he doesnt stay very long. I think he feels like ive ruined and put his life on hold for a while aswell, which really brings me down and doesnt make me feel any better =[

Old 09-07-2009, 12:39 PM

26 posts, read 243,807 times
So, I know I mentioned in one of my earlier posts that I did not like my air boot at all. Well...I still don't really like it and hardly ever use it, however, yesterday I was at an event for almost 6 hours and decided to wear it to be safe and have the additional support. Normally, my leg/foot would have swelled up like crazy for being out that long, but because of the boot it didn't swell at all. So...there's a "pro" for the air boot!!!

Last edited by NCG09; 09-07-2009 at 12:59 PM..

Old 09-07-2009, 12:49 PM

26 posts, read 243,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan1980 View Post
hi just wanna say good day to everyone. i hope that everybody is doing well on our recovery. Just keep the spirits high. Everything happens for a reason. For me, the first moment that i broke my tib and fib the night of 8/25, i think right away that my plans was all down the drain. all the frustration and all the bad emotions came into me and i let out a loud yell not from the pain but from all this emotion.
today is my 10 days post op. this injury certainly bring me and my gf closer to each other. Considering we are planning to get married next year(JUNE), is a motivation itself for me to get better and and be up and about in couple of months. i am more appreciative of my family now,(i live in another country) though they not here i receive everyday call and text message from them.
Let's take it one day at a time. This will be one long journey for all of us. But at the end we will get to that destination , a new person, made stronger by this experience and more appreciative of life and evrything around us

Love that this has brought you and your girlfriend closer together. It is true, you really see what your spouse/significant other is made of when something like this happens. My husband has been amazing....taking care of me, our son, our home, laundry, cooking, cleaning, etc. It's been 2 long months, though, and I know he is getting very ready for me to be up and walking around!!! I am doing more household chores now, which I never thought I would be so happy to do!!! And yes, your are right.....so many people have told me that this "accident" happened for a reason and I have to agree. I am someone who normally moves at warp speed with all that I do...and this has forced me to slow down, enjoy a slower pace and be taken care of for once!! Happy, healthy and rapid healing to all!!!

Old 09-07-2009, 06:18 PM

76 posts, read 415,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewlyBroken View Post
Im pleased to hear its brought you and your girlfriend closer together, its pushed me and my boyfriend further apart. His temper is very short with me, im staying with my parents and when he comes over he doesnt stay very long. I think he feels like ive ruined and put his life on hold for a while aswell, which really brings me down and doesnt make me feel any better =[
Dump him. My husband has been awesome for 23 WEEKS!

Old 09-08-2009, 10:20 AM

45 posts, read 297,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewlyBroken View Post

You wont believe how fast things start going once you start weight bearing! you are gonna do great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness