Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Two or Three beers a day bad (alcoholism)?
Yes 24 20.34%
No 94 79.66%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 02:57 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,647,419 times

Advertisements

I hope not...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 07:25 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Is it bad for you healthwise? No
The question stated "2 or 3". Doctors generally agree that one or two, depending on body weight, is good for your heart, but the high caloric content of alcohol may offset much of the cardiac value. Especially if the patient is either overweight already, or may be inclined to creep from "2 or 3" to 3 or 4 or 5 or 6.

A man could probably drink 2 a day, and otherwise watch his weight, and safely say that it not harmful to his health. But 2 is the upper limit and drinking two and keeping calories down could result in lowered consumption of nutrition.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:07 AM

8,036 posts, read 10,626,487 times
I drink a glass or two of wine most every night with dinner, and sometimes I worry that it's harmful or too much. I enjoy it, and find it relaxes me at the end of a long, and often stressful day.

I gave up cigarettes 10 years ago, thank goodness for that.

Stress can kill you too. I've decided that if I didn't drink a little now and then, the stress in my life would have killed me a long time ago.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:13 PM

17,988 posts, read 27,444,769 times
If you think drinking two glasses of wine is bad for you, then it probably will be somehow.

If you can drink a glass or two of wine a night and enjoy it, that would probably be good for you.

There are those out there who would lead you to believe that drinking two drinks per day can be better for you than just being a teetotaler.

Two beers, two glasses of wine? I suppose if I had this choice, I'd do the latter. The problem with me is that those would have to be "right-sized" glasses of wine.

For many many people, it's just food... not an abused drug.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 7,170 times
I'm fine drinking a 40 a night. sometimes 2. Everyone's body is different though. Just don't believe everything that you read.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:17 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,099,131 times
Alcoholism, or addiction to any other substance for that matter, is not defined by the amount of the substance the person in question actually consumes. Rather, what better defines addiction is that person's need, or dependence on the substance.
Ergo, if one guy absolutely needs those two or three beers every night, and spends an inordinate amount of time during the day thinking about them, and is also uncomfortable and irritable if per chance he doesn't get to have those beers one night, then I'd hazard to say that that person has a very possible addiction problem.
On the other hand, let's say Joe Blue Collar worker knocks back 5 or 6 beers after work with his buds on the tailgates of their pickups three or four times a week, but doesn't really care if he goes a week or so without doing this. (And he doesn't even give this practice enough thought to dream of posting the alcoholism question on CD.)
I'd say that, given these two scenarios, the "two beer" dude is more of an alcoholic.
Just my dos centavos as a recovering alcoholic.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:21 PM

18 posts, read 57,451 times
LOL!!!! Busted out laughing when I saw the "Only One Glass Per Day" link!! Thanks for the laugh!

Old 02-25-2015, 03:03 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,781,536 times
sorry to rejuvenate such an old thread but the medical opinion seems to be that as little as 2 beers a day can lead to cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, stomach and liver. Note that I said 2 beers a day without any breaks and if it's done over a period of years.. say 10-15 years.

Best is to drink occasionally 1-3 beers (for special events or once in a while) or not at all.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:28 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,976,518 times
I drink four to six a day, every day and more on weekends. My liver, kidney and other blood test results came back today and all is good! I should mention that it's lite beer I drink.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:56 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Several doctors have told me that 1-2 beers a day helps give you all the vitamins you need on a daily basis. I have been drinking 1-2 of 12oz beers a day just before dinner for the past 48 years and have not had any signs of the above mentioned diseases. I get a blood test every 6 months and all my organs test normal. I also have no vitamin deficiency either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness