U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Unread 08-30-2009, 05:06 AM
 
Location: Happy wherever I am - Florida now
2,803 posts, read 6,512,688 times
Reputation: 2299
The community testing fairs that come around every couple of months will send a copy of your results to you along with your doctor if you request one. I do it all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 08-30-2009, 10:15 AM
 
Location: SC
8,555 posts, read 7,657,263 times
Reputation: 2840
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
Ok... so does anyone know if it's possible to get a CBC (complete blood count) run from a lab (like LabCorp) without having a doctor's orders?

The reason I ask is because I'm curious to see what my counts are, yet I don't really wish to go through the ordeal of having to go to the doctor's office and have them try to interpret the results to me - I can take care of that myself, and I'd obviously go see a professional if anything was wrong with my results. I'm perfectly healthy AFAIK, I'd just like to have an update on my levels.

Also, I'm on private high-deductible insurance, and to be honest I don't feel like having something like high cholesterol (if I were to have that) show up on my record and raise my premiums (I know, I know...how immoral of me).

Anyhow... if there's no way I can, that's fine - I'll just do it when I go to my yearly ob/gyn visit, but it would be nice if I could take care of it myself.

Much thanks in advance.
Sure you can. The Savvy labs know that both cost and privacy is an issue. You just need to search around on-line to find the ones that will do it.

I've been thinking of doing that too and would want to pay in cash and not have them keep any personal info ESPECIALLY with OBAMA's grand plan to computerize all our medical records so the government knows the details of every lab test and office visit you ever had. THAT system was described and money was earmarked for it in the stimulous package which was APPROVED. It SPECIFICALLY said that it was going to be used for BIOSURVEILLANCE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 09-04-2009, 09:55 PM
 
1,011 posts, read 2,201,959 times
Reputation: 704
$60 Cholesterol-Triglycerides-Hemoglobin A1c mail-in test kit . . Testing Cholesterol at Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 09-05-2009, 07:04 AM
 
2,742 posts, read 4,577,325 times
Reputation: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
Ok... so does anyone know if it's possible to get a CBC (complete blood count) run from a lab (like LabCorp) without having a doctor's orders?

The reason I ask is because I'm curious to see what my counts are, yet I don't really wish to go through the ordeal of having to go to the doctor's office and have them try to interpret the results to me - I can take care of that myself, and I'd obviously go see a professional if anything was wrong with my results. I'm perfectly healthy AFAIK, I'd just like to have an update on my levels.

Also, I'm on private high-deductible insurance, and to be honest I don't feel like having something like high cholesterol (if I were to have that) show up on my record and raise my premiums (I know, I know...how immoral of me).

Anyhow... if there's no way I can, that's fine - I'll just do it when I go to my yearly ob/gyn visit, but it would be nice if I could take care of it myself.

Much thanks in advance.
Yes, you can have any blood test or any other test done without a prescription. You only need the prescription for insurance purposes. If you dont have a prescription you will pay the full amount of the cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 09-05-2009, 08:04 PM
 
Location: San Diego, California
2,495 posts, read 4,986,306 times
Reputation: 1791
Thanks everyone, you guys rock.

I don't mind paying all fees out of pocket, as I have to hit 5k/year anyhow before my insurance kicks in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 09-08-2009, 10:38 AM
 
6 posts, read 52,582 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Sure you can. The Savvy labs know that both cost and privacy is an issue. You just need to search around on-line to find the ones that will do it.

I've been thinking of doing that too and would want to pay in cash and not have them keep any personal info ESPECIALLY with OBAMA's grand plan to computerize all our medical records so the government knows the details of every lab test and office visit you ever had. THAT system was described and money was earmarked for it in the stimulous package which was APPROVED. It SPECIFICALLY said that it was going to be used for BIOSURVEILLANCE!
I always wonder if they make it difficult to get blood work without dr's orders because they are in cahoots with the insurance companies and they want to know your health status so they can deny you or raise your rates. There is no other reason to make it difficult. I am sure the labs would/could directly report to insurace companies if you are not anonymous. Even people who pay their doctor out of pocket have their results reported.

Actually, last time I got blood work, I requested a lot of blood work that was not on my doctors orders and the lab did all of it as I requested. This was processed through LabCorp. The results were sent to my doctor who requested the CBC but I imagine if I hadn't had the orders, I could have had the results sent directly to me? I know certain tests you can get easily without orders but things like CBC or liver panel seem to be hard to get. Not only is it difficult to find someone to do the test, it is also very expensive.

Last edited by burbgirl; 09-08-2009 at 10:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 09-08-2009, 04:52 PM
 
3 posts, read 25,480 times
Reputation: 16
I don't normally post in forums however the comment about it being hard to get liver panels and CBC is way of as I got a liver panel for 40 bucks at PersonaLabs Panels

and a CBC for 20 bucks CBC w/ diff and platelet

Nowadays you can get any test online without your doctor being involved and no need for an office visit.

I hope the link assist.

Cheers
Jimmy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 09-08-2009, 07:47 PM
 
Location: San Diego, California
2,495 posts, read 4,986,306 times
Reputation: 1791
Quote:
Originally Posted by burbgirl View Post
I always wonder if they make it difficult to get blood work without dr's orders because they are in cahoots with the insurance companies and they want to know your health status so they can deny you or raise your rates. There is no other reason to make it difficult. I am sure the labs would/could directly report to insurace companies if you are not anonymous. Even people who pay their doctor out of pocket have their results reported.

Actually, last time I got blood work, I requested a lot of blood work that was not on my doctors orders and the lab did all of it as I requested. This was processed through LabCorp. The results were sent to my doctor who requested the CBC but I imagine if I hadn't had the orders, I could have had the results sent directly to me? I know certain tests you can get easily without orders but things like CBC or liver panel seem to be hard to get. Not only is it difficult to find someone to do the test, it is also very expensive.
I'm probably just going to be extra sneaky and use my old ID with my maiden name on it, so that they *really* can't report anything to my insurance company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 09-08-2009, 08:16 PM
 
Location: So. of Rosarito, Baja, Mexico
4,963 posts, read 8,730,402 times
Reputation: 3577
Has been over 20 yrs but still has it's claws in my throat.

Had a medical problem so the Dr gave me a slip for some blood work at the lab.

Paid the $60 office visit.

Went to the Lab for the blood work and they sent the results to the Dr and a also sent me a bill for the Lab work which I sent a check.

Return to ther Dr who says the blood work was okay.

Had to pay $60 for a 2nd visit to get the results of the Lab work.

This happened every couple months with the same results.

When I saked the Dr why the need for all the blood work.....

His answer was "You want to get better don't you"...the blood results could change at any time.

He did ask my opinion about a new Audi he was thinking of buying.

Well... I did contribute a little to the down payment.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 09-08-2009, 08:43 PM
 
4,630 posts, read 5,634,630 times
Reputation: 4093
Excellent links. Thanks to those who posted them. I can't imagine though that the CDC would allow anonymous testing for indications of a communicable disease. Would these not show up in a complete blood panel?

BTW, high cholesterol (the base-line of how high is too high increases every year) is enough for a number of insurance companies to deny initial coverage. I found that out the hard way; you are considered "high risk."

President Obama's got nothing to do with computerizing health records, other than approving of it. They are already computerized in a national data-base via CDC. Sorry, it's years too late to complain about that one...

"This happened every couple months with the same results." Hopefully, you've now found an honorable doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top