U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Do you plan on getting the H1N1 vaccine shot?
Yes 25 23.58%
No 60 56.60%
Maybe 9 8.49%
Not Sure 12 11.32%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-06-2009, 06:49 AM
 
12,503 posts, read 17,914,151 times
Reputation: 13479
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I will get the H1N1 vaccine, when eligible to do so. I received the swine flu shot in 1976 and survived intact. I wanted to volunteer for the H1N1 vaccine testing at the local testing site, but there weren't any slots available as the University's medical personnel came out in droves to volunteer.

Although I am no longer in the medical field, I understand the purpose of mass vaccinations. This is not about ME, it is about not infecting those at greater risk of complications and/or death. It's also about ensuring that medical facilities (including primary care physicians) will not be overwhelmed with flu victims seeking relief. It's fine to say, "Well, I'll just boost my immune system and stay home if I get sick." Unfortunately, you are contagious the day before you come down with symptoms. Who have you infected before you realize that you have the flu? A 5 month old baby? The other issue is if you decide to forego the vaccination, you are unfairly burdening your co-workers by deciding that you will "just stay home if you get sick." If all of your co-workers did the same, the office would shut down. God forbid if you work in the public sector.

As an aside, my friend received a notice from the hospital where she volunteers. All employees, volunteers, and vendors must provide proof of their vaccinations or they will not be allowed in the hospital. So, those personnel who refuse the vaccinations can kiss their jobs good-bye. Looks like that particular hospital does not want to deal with the Mod cut: language
I would love to be the attorney representing the terminated employees in that class action lawsuit. That is a slam dunk! The hospital is to provide the vaccine but employees can sign a declination to not have the vaccine administered.

Mod cut: no soliciting

Last edited by Viralmd; 09-07-2009 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: No solilciting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-06-2009, 07:03 PM
 
Location: somewhere
3,667 posts, read 5,155,314 times
Reputation: 2051
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
You are wrong. It is not the same.

Vaccines do not give you LIFETIME IMMUNITY like actually gettting the disease.

so no, it is not "identical."
Agreed, if they did then there wouldn't be a need for yearly flu shots. You would take one and be immune for the rest of your life.

I won't be getting the regular flu shot or the H1N1 either. There has not been enough time for the researchers to know what kind of side effects there could be or for that matter they still don't know how many shots will provide immunity for the H1N1. When they get this all figured out then I will think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2009, 06:47 AM
 
2,549 posts, read 6,154,969 times
Reputation: 3604
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Agreed, if they did then there wouldn't be a need for yearly flu shots. You would take one and be immune for the rest of your life.

I won't be getting the regular flu shot or the H1N1 either. There has not been enough time for the researchers to know what kind of side effects there could be or for that matter they still don't know how many shots will provide immunity for the H1N1. When they get this all figured out then I will think about it.
Apples and oranges...

The flu strain changes each year which is why a new vaccine is developed each year..

Catching the flu doesn't give you lifetime immunity either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2009, 07:13 AM
 
Location: chicagoland
1,636 posts, read 2,594,255 times
Reputation: 1039
Catching the flu gives you lifetime immunity to THAT strain.

The vaccine is only 30-80% effective.

I know at least 10 people who said they got the flu shot years in a row and ALWAYS got the flu.

I also can say I know people who get the shot and don't get the flu.

You can't even say the reason they didn't get the flu was because of the shot.

But such a small amount of people die each year, I'm willing to take the chance of lifetime natural immunity for me and my family than inject such toxins and chemicals into our bodies only to get the flu anyhow.

85 children/average, die from the flu each year. These children are usually sick to begin with and have secondary infections they caught from their hospital stay.

If my kids gets sick, or I get sick, or anyone I know gets sick, we are going to try and stay away from hospitals as much as we can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2009, 08:45 PM
 
Location: WI
436 posts, read 1,097,383 times
Reputation: 472
I'm not decided yet. Part of me says no because every time I've had a flu shot I've gotten influenza - always a strain not covered by the shot. I've never had influenza in the years I haven't had the shot. Even my dr & oncologist said they won't push the shot with me this year because of this. Then again, my husband has been getting flu shots since I was dx'd with breast cancer 10 yrs ago with no visable side effects.

The part that is wavering is the mom in me. I have a 9 yr old and trying to protect her & do what's best is difficult with all the conflicting information. I've had her get mmr, etc but refuse to have her get gardasil. Pros have to be greater than cons. If it's best for her that we get the shot, then we'll get the shot.

For now I'll keep reading, talk to my dr and her pediatrician and pray I make the right decision when the time comes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2009, 11:26 PM
 
99 posts, read 256,389 times
Reputation: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
This is 2009. That was 2005. A lot has gone on over the last 3 / 4 years - won't you agree.

And again, IT MAY BE YOUR OPINION that flu shots don't work - but, my Physican, someone I feel is far more qualified than you to make that decision (as to working) feels significantly different than you do.

Now, who should "we", the readers here trust - YOU who admittedly has no medical background nor training, or our personal physicans who ARE trained professionals? And those trained professionals will make their recommendations based on many different criteria all relating to the SPECIFIC PATIENT - and they WILL NOT, as you have, make a BLANKET statement.
What are you saying that I should put my trust & possibly life in the hands of a person that is "practicing medicine" no thank you they are not going to practice there medicine on me. I have never had a flu shot & will never. Why are there so many kids with "ADHD, ADD , autism all of a sudden coincidence? Please !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2009, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,100 posts, read 23,899,123 times
Reputation: 4808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishin4sun View Post
What are you saying that I should put my trust & possibly life in the hands of a person that is "practicing medicine" no thank you they are not going to practice there medicine on me. I have never had a flu shot & will never. Why are there so many kids with "ADHD, ADD , autism all of a sudden coincidence? Please !
I do put my trust in those that are far more educated in the field. For instance, I use a CPA to do my taxes - as they know more about tax laws then I do. I take my car to the Dealership for repairs - as they have a lot more training in my model car than I do and can fix it and service it far better than I can.

The same with my physic-ans. They are far more knowledgeable than I am about medicine. I while I am known to want and get, second opinions, I trust my Doctors more than I.

As for the Flu Vaccinations: I have had the Flu vaccine for more years than I like to think about. Same with my adult children - and now my grandchildren. My Daughter in Law is a Physician. And I have asked her for her frank opinion of these vaccines in light of all the controversy. She has told me that there are those with certain risk factors that not having the vaccine could prove very dangerous. Likewise, there are those that can go without and not ever have a problem.

After looking into all the pros and cons - my wife and I are getting our "shots".

Each person needs to make their own, personal decision. I would hope though the individual makes this decision after talking with their health care professional and not relying on forums like this or rumors you hear on the streets to make those decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2009, 12:29 PM
 
Location: Wherabouts Unknown!
7,479 posts, read 11,015,381 times
Reputation: 8329
ajzjmsmom wrote:
There has not been enough time for the researchers to know what kind of side effects there could be or for that matter they still don't know how many shots will provide immunity for the H1N1.
An insignificant matter like potential side effects never stopped big pharma in the past... does anyone really expect that it would be any different with a hot, new, money making virus like H1N1?

I recently saw a commercial for a stop smoking drug called Chantix or something like that. At least 50% of this very lengthy commercial was a list of potential side effects. If I was a smoker ( which I'm not ), after listening to this commercial, I'd be strongly inclined to keep smoking and just die naturally of lung cancer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2009, 12:40 PM
 
Location: chicagoland
1,636 posts, read 2,594,255 times
Reputation: 1039
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
ajzjmsmom wrote:
There has not been enough time for the researchers to know what kind of side effects there could be or for that matter they still don't know how many shots will provide immunity for the H1N1.
An insignificant matter like potential side effects never stopped big pharma in the past... does anyone really expect that it would be any different with a hot, new, money making virus like H1N1?

I recently saw a commercial for a stop smoking drug called Chantix or something like that. At least 50% of this very lengthy commercial was a list of potential side effects. If I was a smoker ( which I'm not ), after listening to this commercial, I'd be strongly inclined to keep smoking and just die naturally of lung cancer.
I just saw on the news how they found a virus linked to prostate cancer. a MERE 20% of those with prostate cancer who WERE TESTED had history of the virus.

A new vaccine is in the making for this as well.

IMO, many cancers are caused by vaccines to begin with. We go messing and mixing the DNA of other mammals and messing with aborted fetus the possibilities are endless. It's been proven before that vaccines can and have caused cancer. Now they want a vaccine to be used which could cause cancer to prevent cancer from a virus in which ONLY 20% of those tested carry????? What if only 20 people were tested and only 20% carried it? That is hardly a good representation of the population.

I call Mod cut: language once again.

Last edited by Viralmd; 09-08-2009 at 02:49 PM.. Reason: Language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2009, 04:26 PM
 
2,549 posts, read 6,154,969 times
Reputation: 3604
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
I just saw on the news how they found a virus linked to prostate cancer. a MERE 20% of those with prostate cancer who WERE TESTED had history of the virus.

A new vaccine is in the making for this as well.

IMO, many cancers are caused by vaccines to begin with. We go messing and mixing the DNA of other mammals and messing with aborted fetus the possibilities are endless. It's been proven before that vaccines can and have caused cancer. Now they want a vaccine to be used which could cause cancer to prevent cancer from a virus in which ONLY 20% of those tested carry????? What if only 20 people were tested and only 20% carried it? That is hardly a good representation of the population.

I call Mod cut: language once again.
Care to provide any objective evidence that vaccines cause cancer??

Even just one case??

Good luck with that

There IS plenty of evidence that viruses play a role in cancer formation and the work to find vaccines, like Gardasil. is truly exciting and pioneering medicine.

"Many scientists believe that microbes cause or contribute to between 15 percent and 25 percent of all cancers diagnosed worldwide each year"

Cancer Vaccines - National Cancer Institute
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top