Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you plan on getting the H1N1 vaccine shot?
Yes 25 21.93%
No 67 58.77%
Maybe 9 7.89%
Not Sure 13 11.40%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 08:21 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,018,590 times

Advertisements

I will get the H1N1 vaccine, when eligible to do so. I received the swine flu shot in 1976 and survived intact. I wanted to volunteer for the H1N1 vaccine testing at the local testing site, but there weren't any slots available as the University's medical personnel came out in droves to volunteer.

Although I am no longer in the medical field, I understand the purpose of mass vaccinations. This is not about ME, it is about not infecting those at greater risk of complications and/or death. It's also about ensuring that medical facilities (including primary care physicians) will not be overwhelmed with flu victims seeking relief. It's fine to say, "Well, I'll just boost my immune system and stay home if I get sick." Unfortunately, you are contagious the day before you come down with symptoms. Who have you infected before you realize that you have the flu? A 5 month old baby? The other issue is if you decide to forego the vaccination, you are unfairly burdening your co-workers by deciding that you will "just stay home if you get sick." If all of your co-workers did the same, the office would shut down. God forbid if you work in the public sector.

As an aside, my friend received a notice from the hospital where she volunteers. All employees, volunteers, and vendors must provide proof of their vaccinations or they will not be allowed in the hospital. So, those personnel who refuse the vaccinations can kiss their jobs good-bye. Looks like that particular hospital does not want to deal with the Mod cut: language.

Last edited by Viralmd; 09-07-2009 at 03:37 PM.. Reason: Language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 12:38 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,228,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc3217 View Post
I get a seasonal flu shot every year - as to the posted argument that our bodies are meant to fight off disease naturally by developing antibodies - well, that's what a vaccine does. It gives you a mini does of the virus so you can develop the antibodies without the illness. I am higher risk due to asthma, so I like to keep my lungs clear.

I am not sure I am high risk enough to qualify to get the H1N1 vaccine early on. My one so has asthma, so I will probably have both my kids get the vaccine. They usually get a flu shot anyway.

Why is there extra controversy about the H1N1 vaccine? Isn't it made just like regular flu shots? Why would it be more hazardous than any other flu vaccine?
Getting a disease naturally is NOT like getting a vaccine. Not at all.

I look at it like this. You take two people's immune systems. Each person's immune system is like a group of troops ready to go to war. In one person the disease (opposing troops) sends in one or two troops to "make nice." That person's immune system sends it's own couple of troops to "talk it over." They "make nice" and live as one.

The other person's immune system is just the same. But instead of "making nice" they say ********* and they allow the entire army to invade. The immune system troops fight and fight and fight and fight. They win!!! Yeeeeeeyyyy! They have beaten and killed the virus.

The first immune system never gets to practice it's natural fighting skills. They never build any "muscle." Instead they sit around and get "fat" and never learn how to truly combat and defeat their enemy.

The second immune system is used to fighting and gets learns how to defeat it's enemy thus giving it an advantage over other enemies. They have more muscle, they are more ready to go at it. They know how to fight.

I'd rather have the second immune system. I'd rather have the REAL immune system. Nature was meant to have the second immune system.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:43 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
I'd rather have the second immune system. I'd rather have the REAL immune system. Nature was meant to have the second immune system.
And, that is great for you - and obviouly your right.

But, don't begrudge or belittle those that choose to have the vaccine - that is their right.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
And, that is great for you - and obviouly your right.

But, don't begrudge or belittle those that choose to have the vaccine - that is their right.

I never once did so.

And actually, if you look back, it's a handful or rude know it all bullies who tend to do just that to me and any other person one here who doesn't buy into the load of crap the vaccine INDUSTRY throws at us.

But you are right. Your choice. I could care less about preaching or pleading my case to those who already made up their minds.

I can only hope that some of what I say or any other person who believes the same way, strikes a nerve for those who were on the fense and not yet decided.

And from what I've read, I have. I have done it many times on this forum and will continue to do so. I am willing to do whatever I can to save lives and keep the health of people and especially children.

Old 09-05-2009, 01:20 PM

559 posts, read 1,757,574 times
nope. i dont even get regular flu shots. until it actually starts killing more people than the regular flu; im not going to worry about it.

Old 09-05-2009, 02:14 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,750,378 times
Quote:

The other person's immune system is just the same. But instead of "making nice" they say ********* and they allow the entire army to invade. The immune system troops fight and fight and fight and fight. They win!!! Yeeeeeeyyyy! They have beaten and killed the virus.
Or they don't win. Or the win comes at the cost of lung or heart tissue scarring. That's the problem I have with your argument.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc3217 View Post
Or they don't win. Or the win comes at the cost of lung or heart tissue scarring. That's the problem I have with your argument.

I can understand that.

But sometimes immune system #1 says "no deal" and the vaccine fails to work and you go ahead and get sick anyway.

No vaccine is 100% and many vaccines are only 30-80% effective.

The way I see it, you try and trick the immune system thus allowing dangerous chemicals and toxins and cancer causing angents into your body by infecting the vaccine and you still get the disease?

No dice.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:15 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,227,361 times
Quote:

I look at it like this. You take two people's immune systems. Each person's immune system is like a group of troops ready to go to war. In one person the disease (opposing troops) sends in one or two troops to "make nice." That person's immune system sends it's own couple of troops to "talk it over." They "make nice" and live as one.

The first immune system never gets to practice it's natural fighting skills. They never build any "muscle." Instead they sit around and get "fat" and never learn how to truly combat and defeat their enemy.

The second immune system is used to fighting and gets learns how to defeat it's enemy thus giving it an advantage over other enemies. They have more muscle, they are more ready to go at it. They know how to fight.

What are you talking about?????

This fairy tale has absolutely nothing to do with how the immune system functions....

The immunity developed by the body in response to a vaccine is IDENTICAL to the immunity developed by exposure to the actual antigen(virus) with the added benefit of NOT having to suffer from the disease...

"Nature" doesn't care what type of immune system you have, "Nature" doesn't care if you live or die.....

Old 09-05-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
What are you talking about?????

This fairy tale has absolutely nothing to do with how the immune system functions....

The immunity developed by the body in response to a vaccine is IDENTICAL to the immunity developed by exposure to the actual antigen(virus) with the added benefit of NOT having to suffer from the disease...

"Nature" doesn't care what type of immune system you have, "Nature" doesn't care if you live or die.....

You are wrong. It is not the same.

Vaccines do not give you LIFETIME IMMUNITY like actually gettting the disease.

so no, it is not "identical."

Old 09-05-2009, 09:40 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,951,215 times
Wasn't there something (suspect) about children developing autism from being vaccinated? Did this include the flu shots? I see from research the additives that were used in the flu shot like aluminum, mercury and formaldehyde.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness