Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you plan on getting the H1N1 vaccine shot?
Yes 25 21.93%
No 67 58.77%
Maybe 9 7.89%
Not Sure 13 11.40%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 07:52 PM

620 posts, read 1,771,819 times

Advertisements

No, I don't plan on getting it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 10:01 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,011,721 times
I wont be getting the H1N1 vaccine. But I did get really sick in june, I was sick for 3 weeks, I was tested and they said it was Influenza A. I was reading on the CDC website and it said "97% of all subtyped influenza A viruses being reported to CDC were 2009 influenza A (H1N1) viruses"

so did I really have the swine flu?

Old 09-18-2009, 12:01 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
I wont be getting the H1N1 vaccine. But I did get really sick in june, I was sick for 3 weeks, I was tested and they said it was Influenza A. I was reading on the CDC website and it said "97% of all subtyped influenza A viruses being reported to CDC were 2009 influenza A (H1N1) viruses"

so did I really have the swine flu?
I'm curious what you felt like... what were your symptoms? Did you have to go to the hospital? How did you treat the illness? Sorry so many questions... I'm just really curious. I haven't met anyone who has had the h1N1 flu, and none of us have had the regular flu, either. I need one of those "Flu for Dummies" books.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:43 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times
To HH - what happened this June and what normally happens when I get the flu:

I had a viral infection in June that felt worse than a cold but not as severe as when I have the flu. Usually when I get the flu, I have a 12-24hour period where I cannot walk, have a high fever and aches, and basically have little control over whether I am asleep or awake. This time, the sxs resembled more of a cold, except the fatigue was high (without completely disabling me as the flu does), but I was fatigued for about 3 wks afterwards, and it did come on rather quickly, like a flu does.

At 8am, I was in the garage getting paint, brushes, drop cloths, and a ladder to do some painting. At 830, I sat down for a few minutes to rest before painting b/c I was feeling tired. I never did paint. It took me over 2 wks before I felt well enough to try painting again.

The thing that made me wonder if it were more than a cold was the lingering fatigue.

I never did get tested but my pediatrician had 2 of the 3 confirmed cases in our county by that time. One of her suspected, but not confirmed, cases was a child around the corner from our house, who had it about a month before I was sick.

So, I don't know if it was H1N1 or not, could have been a mild form of EBV (mono). I felt like I lost a few wks of my summer sitting around getting tired from simply taking care of my family and not being able to do anything else.

Normally when I get the flu, it comes on within a matter of a few hours. I treat it with pain relievers/fever reducers (my fever is usually above 103 and my body is wracked with pain), tons of rest(really can't avoid this b/c I can't even walk), and lots of fluids (high pulp orange juice is particularly appealing to me when I have the flu). I have never gone to the dr or hospital for the flu. Within a day or so, the acute symptoms subside and a manageable level of fatigue continues for a couple of wks.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:50 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,011,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I'm curious what you felt like... what were your symptoms? Did you have to go to the hospital? How did you treat the illness? Sorry so many questions... I'm just really curious. I haven't met anyone who has had the h1N1 flu, and none of us have had the regular flu, either. I need one of those "Flu for Dummies" books.

With me, mine started with a minor sore throatm chest heaviness and fatigue for 2 days and a headache. Then my nose started runnuing and eventually my chest got congested and couldn't breath. I went to the ER because it got so bad, they tested me and said it was Influenza A, sent me home with 2 kinds of decongesent.

I was sick like this for 3 weeks. I thought it went away and a week later it came back bu only lasted for a few days. Then I got a bacterial skin infection that they claimed I probably got at the hosp.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:44 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
To HH - what happened this June and what normally happens when I get the flu:

I had a viral infection in June that felt worse than a cold but not as severe as when I have the flu. ...
Forgot to add that my nasal congestion/snot was so severe and copious that I got my first ever ear infection which turned into a ruptured eardrum.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:06 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
My wife and I got our annual flu shot last week.
The doctor said they didn't have the swine flu vaccine yet and when it does come out, it will be controlled by the state health department.
He said that neither of us, being retired seniors, are in the priority categories.

However, our daughter, who is in her 30's and works as a substitute teacher, should get both a regular and a Swine Flu shot as soon as it's available.
She doesn't have a doctor or health insurance so she can get the flu shot at the shot clinic at the grocery store for $30.
She will have to find out later how to get, and pay for, the Swine Flu shot.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:34 AM

21 posts, read 83,000 times
Default Swine Flu Hoax?

Get informed about the swine flu vaccine-NOT from the MayoClinic or the FDA or any other government agency-they all protect the big pharmaceutical companies that want to scare the world into unnecessary vaccinations.
Check out the following on the internet and judge for yourself:
-Dr. Mercola
-Dr. Tenpenny
-theflucase.com
Lots of other info on YouTube as well.
There was a scare in 1976 that aired on "60 Minutes". What followed was a huge lawsuit against the US government because some people did die and others became sick with some kind of nerve system disorder-from the vaccine-not the flu.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:47 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,977,263 times
I typically don't get seasonal flu vaccines, so I wasn't planning to get the H1N1 either. However, I do work at a university now. If I'm asked to get the vaccination for work I'll do it, more to protect the students and I might come into contact with if I did catch H1N1 and were infectious before I realized it.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:25 AM

125 posts, read 212,921 times
I will take the regular flu shot but as far as the H1N1, ain't no way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness