U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 08:10 PM

2,903 posts, read 11,164,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Me too and if I feel the need to touch...out comes the Purell.
Yeah, or a knuckle (an "upper" one) if absolutely necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 08:19 PM

6,039 posts, read 9,211,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Ewwww. You just ruined my next shopping trip!

Actually, I have always believed that a little dirt keeps your immune system on its toes, but you made explicit what I don't like to think about!
Exactly my point, though

She can swipe the cart handle all she wants, but she's still surrounded by air and surfaces that are seething with bacteria so what's the point? Just wash your own hands when you should, and keep 'em out of your face.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:29 PM

18,434 posts, read 28,520,978 times
I realize all the nasty stuff that we come into contact with on a daily basis and do find myself always washing my hands.

I cough or sneeze into my elbow/upper arm area as to try not to spread my germs to others.
When at the dr, I use purell after being up at the counter where I have to touch things like pens that are up there. I try to have my own pen with me but it doesn't always happen.

Being a female, I also try and wash my hands before and after going to the bathroom.

Of course always before and after handling food...

There are really a lot of things we can do that are preventative.

I cannot stand to touch money, it is probably the most disgusting thing arounf but how can we not? I just go wash my hands.

Of course with all the washing of the hands comes the using of the lotion because the hands dry out...

oh bother....

Old 09-04-2009, 08:53 AM

7,091 posts, read 10,487,344 times
I try and wear a full bio hazard suit around small children and their families.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:32 AM

3,978 posts, read 7,465,688 times
It is really quite sad to me how paranoid people have become. Do you spray any visitors with disinfectant?
And you had better wear a spaceperson's headgear everytime you go shopping, or to a recreation, or a party! And don't forget the oxygen tank!
Also, every item you handle in any store, has been handled by scores of other people!

Old 09-04-2009, 10:48 AM

4,636 posts, read 4,946,459 times
I guess a lot of people will be licking doorhandles to build up their immune systems. You "tough guys" must not have any sympathy for people with compromised immune systems ? What about the macho football players who get the flu ? Didn't they take in enough dirt or e.coli? What about nurses and doctors who get sick ? Were their immune systems not exposed to enough pathogens ?

Old 09-04-2009, 11:17 AM

2,903 posts, read 11,164,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
It is really quite sad to me how paranoid people have become. Do you spray any visitors with disinfectant?
And you had better wear a spaceperson's headgear everytime you go shopping, or to a recreation, or a party! And don't forget the oxygen tank!
Also, every item you handle in any store, has been handled by scores of other people!
True.
Remember the t.v. show, "Northern Exposure" where the guy was so paranoid that he ended up living in Alaska in a bubble?
A strong immune system is weakened by fear and contraction not to mention stress, bad diet, lack of sleep and a whole host of other things that this modern culture requires us to deal with.
Obviously, common sense practices of washing hands and keeping your hands away from your eyes, nose and mouth when out and about are good.
But it's as important to stay open and strong and not retreat into fear and hyper sanitary behaviors which ultimately weakens the system.
Trying to "hide" from micro-organisms to a neurotic degree is counter to good health.
To be exposed to this and that and allowing the body to naturally counter this and that strengthens it.
Focusing on a strong immune system is key as is countering / dealing with fear.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I try and wear a full bio hazard suit around small children and their families.
Thats what my SO does too... lol

Old 09-04-2009, 11:21 AM

Well, my immune system is compromised in having Rheumatoid Arthritis.

I have been doing really well for a good while until this past Sunday.

Guess what started living in my house on August 20?

An 18 month old. Ah well. I love her to little pieces...

Old 09-04-2009, 11:43 AM

3,978 posts, read 7,465,688 times
I am wondering what types of physical conditions are considered to "compromise" one's immune system? I have coped with fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, and allergies for many of my 77 years, and yet I seldom get colds or other viruses. I do get yearly flu shots, and take vitamin C, as well as other OTC vitamins and minerals, but I have only taken them in recent years.
I have never been a germophobic ( is that a word? ). And I am not a house cleaning phobic. Two cats share my house, as well as an 83 year old husband who is far from being a neatness freak.
He has emphysema, and allergies, but he has not had the flu or a cold for a long time, and he does not take vitamins. He does get yearly flu shots.
We both get pneumonia shots as needed. ( There are differing opinions on how often they need renewed. )

Since we heat with wood, and I am the one who has been the one to carry it in, (for the past 2 or 3 winters), I get plenty of fresh air.
I also am a gardener, but my gardening now consists of potted plants that are out in warm weather, and inside in cold weather.
Maybe the house plants keep us healthy???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness