U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 12:28 PM

2,903 posts, read 11,173,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
I am wondering what types of physical conditions are considered to "compromise" one's immune system? I have coped with fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, and allergies for many of my 77 years, and yet I seldom get colds or other viruses. I do get yearly flu shots, and take vitamin C, as well as other OTC vitamins and minerals, but I have only taken them in recent years.
I have never been a germophobic ( is that a word? ). And I am not a house cleaning phobic. Two cats share my house, as well as an 83 year old husband who is far from being a neatness freak.
He has emphysema, and allergies, but he has not had the flu or a cold for a long time, and he does not take vitamins. He does get yearly flu shots.
We both get pneumonia shots as needed. ( There are differing opinions on how often they need renewed. )

Since we heat with wood, and I am the one who has been the one to carry it in, (for the past 2 or 3 winters), I get plenty of fresh air.
I also am a gardener, but my gardening now consists of potted plants that are out in warm weather, and inside in cold weather.
Maybe the house plants keep us healthy???
My impression just from reading this post is that you're happy and positive.
That sure helps one to be healthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 09:13 PM

2,539 posts, read 8,574,257 times
I know that most of the grocery stores where I live offer sanitation wipes for the carts -- I don't know how effective they are, but I always try to remember to grab a few and give the cart a good wipe before touching it with my bare hands.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:30 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,250,428 times
Children will not develop a healthy and robust immune system unless they are exposed to different germs so their body can 'learn and develop' defenses. Keeping children in a sterile environment is robbing them of immunities that will serve them well later in life.

This of course apples to those without other health issues that compromise their immune system, or the ability of their body to combat different bugs.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:50 PM

3,825 posts, read 6,185,666 times
I suggest wearing latex gloves. If you are allergic to latex they have other materials. They are cheap and disposable.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
I suggest wearing latex gloves. If you are allergic to latex they have other materials. They are cheap and disposable.
Why not just keep your hands away from your face when you're out and about?
Even if you wear gloves, you'll still come into contact with micro-organisms and if you're still touching eyes, nose and mouth, where's the protection?

Old 09-05-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Children will not develop a healthy and robust immune system unless they are exposed to different germs so their body can 'learn and develop' defenses. Keeping children in a sterile environment is robbing them of immunities that will serve them well later in life.

This of course apples to those without other health issues that compromise their immune system, or the ability of their body to combat different bugs.
Isn't it true that one of the reasons that older people have not been hit as hard by this recent flu outbreak is because they've been around long enough and have been exposed to similar flus enough and so they have a strong enough immunity to handle this one?
That's my way of agreeing with you ... exposure (and even getting sick for that matter) is not a bad thing as long as one doesn't die.
With this flu and children ... i dunno.
Getting sick and allowing the body to fight the invasion is strengthening even though it's no fun.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:27 AM

3,978 posts, read 7,470,651 times
Perhaps the answer is not allowing any children under the age of 18 in the stores!!!!
I am all for respecting things that can cause you harm, but I am not into paranoia.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:35 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,657,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post

EXACTLY!!!! This goes for the vaccine thread too

Old 09-06-2009, 01:42 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,657,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
I am wondering what types of physical conditions are considered to "compromise" one's immune system? I have coped with fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, and allergies for many of my 77 years, and yet I seldom get colds or other viruses. I do get yearly flu shots, and take vitamin C, as well as other OTC vitamins and minerals, but I have only taken them in recent years.
I have never been a germophobic ( is that a word? ). And I am not a house cleaning phobic. Two cats share my house, as well as an 83 year old husband who is far from being a neatness freak.
He has emphysema, and allergies, but he has not had the flu or a cold for a long time, and he does not take vitamins. He does get yearly flu shots.
We both get pneumonia shots as needed. ( There are differing opinions on how often they need renewed. )

Since we heat with wood, and I am the one who has been the one to carry it in, (for the past 2 or 3 winters), I get plenty of fresh air.
I also am a gardener, but my gardening now consists of potted plants that are out in warm weather, and inside in cold weather.
Maybe the house plants keep us healthy???
Are you around a good amount of people often?

That is probably why you both don't get ill. Not because of the vaccine. The more people you are around or public places, the greater the chance of contracting something.

I remember my great grandmother used to never get sick. She used to brag and brag. She said it was because she got her flu shot every year and "kept clean." I think she left her home once a month and rarely came to family functions. It wasn't because of the flu shot, it was because she never braught germs in and she rarely had visitors.

I work with alot of seniors. Very rarely do any of them get flu shots or any shots for that matter. We hardly ever see the flu or shingles. Our seniors are around many people including doctors and nurses and family. We go on trips with them as well.

Old 09-06-2009, 02:02 PM

3,978 posts, read 7,470,651 times
"Are you around a good amount of people often?" .....every sunday, and every tuesday!

I am a 'senior'.

And I am thinking your second paragraph, and last one contradict each other!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness