Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 12:52 PM

4,790 posts, read 5,875,750 times

Advertisements

I have developed a habit that I hope will protect me from colds, and possible Flu. I never place anything in a grocery cart kiddie seat. Not my purse, or any item.

I do use the cleansing cloths if the store offers them, and I wipe down the pushbar. I am taking other precautions, too. I wish that people would not allow their children to ride in the main basket of the cart. Imagine the stuff that they can pick up from the parking lot on their shoes. Flu Spit, grease, battery acid, gasoline, chewing tobacco, bubble gum etc. I don't like the idea of putting my food into the main basket with that in mind, and I don't want to have to clean the whole thing with wet wipes.

I am thinking of buying my own personal grocery cart. The little poly shopping cars that kiddies use and vending machines should be disinfected regularly, too. I am not paranoid, but with this cold and flu season upon us, I don't think that we can be too careful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 12:54 PM

350 posts, read 4,146,883 times
I think that's an interesting idea. It reminds me of something similar I once read, about not putting your purse down on the floor in a public bathroom stall. The article I read about that mentioned how you can pick up tons of germs that way. It also said that cleaning the bottom of your purse in general is a good idea, since you set it down on a lot of surfaces.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:44 PM

18,923 posts, read 43,211,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
I wish that people would not allow their children to ride in the main basket of the cart. Imagine the stuff that they can pick up from the parking lot on their shoes. Flu Spit, grease, battery acid, gasoline, chewing tobacco, bubble gum etc.
I'm not sure if viruses and bacteria would thrive (or even survive) on a hot asphalt parking lot.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:41 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,574,293 times
I never thought about that, in terms of protecting myself. I bought a grocery cart padded fabric seat for my grandson, to protect him! It covers the seat and handle bar, with holes for the legs.

I guess I need to start taking precautions. Thanks for the clue!

Old 09-03-2009, 03:33 PM

4,790 posts, read 5,875,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I'm not sure if viruses and bacteria would thrive (or even survive) on a hot asphalt parking lot.
Maybe not where I live at the current temperature, but, I don't relish getting any kind of "splap" on my cartons, and all. I Googled dirty grocery carts, and there was a newfangled thingy that we can place in the basket. It would keep groceries from touching some of that gunk that settles in the plastic carts, especially. I may drive people nuts, but I insist upon a clean cart. I hate "wobble wheels" loaded with debris, and hairs, or worse, a cart that wants to pull you in the wrong direction, or it thumps and clanks. And some carts are way too big. They are like a 747. I like the little carts. It's easier to zip past clusters of chattering "aisle blockers." (Most times)

Old 09-03-2009, 05:31 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,560,959 times
That's a good heads up! thanks! I always wipe down w/the disinfectant cloth first...but I never thought of what could be in that baby seat part, ewwwwwwww. Im gonna start keeping my purse out of that for sure.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:53 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,645,603 times
Quote:
I am not paranoid,
Yeah you are.

Quote:
but with this cold and flu season upon us, I don't think that we can be too careful.
Meh, whatever. If you're not immune-system compromised or something it's no big deal. You come into contact with a whole lot more every single day than just what's on a grocery cart. Do you use a credit or debit card to pay for those groceries? Do you swipe it in a reader that thousands of other germy people have touched with their infected fingers? Does the cashier swipe it for you after sneezing into their hand? Do you know how many dirty little children have touched the same box of food you choose off the shelf? How about that change you receive when you pay in cash...which guy's pocket was it in, who went to the bathroom and didn't wash his hands? Personally, I don't worry about it, I just wash my hands when I should, and I don't stick my fingers in my mouth, eyes, or nose.

I think people are far too paranoid about germs, as evidenced by the plethora of anti-bacterials and sterilizing products on the market. I think that paranoia has probably contributed to the weakening of the species, because parents aren't letting their kids' immune systems get a proper workout.

I visit foreign countries and eat food from street vendors and ride their public transportation and I've not come down sick from anything yet. Of course I also have a proper respect for the appropriate vaccines when necessary too, unlike a lot of paranoid people these days.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:40 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,574,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
........................ You come into contact with a whole lot more every single day than just what's on a grocery cart. Do you use a credit or debit card to pay for those groceries? Do you swipe it in a reader that thousands of other germy people have touched with their infected fingers? Does the cashier swipe it for you after sneezing into their hand? Do you know how many dirty little children have touched the same box of food you choose off the shelf? How about that change you receive when you pay in cash...which guy's pocket was it in, who went to the bathroom and didn't wash his hands? .......................
Ewwww. You just ruined my next shopping trip!

Actually, I have always believed that a little dirt keeps your immune system on its toes, but you made explicit what I don't like to think about!

Old 09-03-2009, 07:54 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,690,166 times
Quote:
I have developed a habit that I hope will protect me from colds, and possible Flu. I never place anything in a grocery cart kiddie seat. Not my purse, or any item.

I do use the cleansing cloths if the store offers them, and I wipe down the pushbar. I am taking other precautions, too. I wish that people would not allow their children to ride in the main basket of the cart. Imagine the stuff that they can pick up from the parking lot on their shoes. Flu Spit, grease, battery acid, gasoline, chewing tobacco, bubble gum etc. I don't like the idea of putting my food into the main basket with that in mind, and I don't want to have to clean the whole thing with wet wipes.

I am thinking of buying my own personal grocery cart. The little poly shopping cars that kiddies use and vending machines should be disinfected regularly, too. I am not paranoid, but with this cold and flu season upon us, I don't think that we can be too careful.
It doesn't matter what your hands come into contact with as long as those same hands don't make contact with mouth, nose, eyes.
Protecting your purse or your kids shoes is silly.
It's the hands that need to be kept away from the face unless they are clean.
I am so trained .... so in the habit for more than 20 years ... to keep my hands away from my face when out and about that it's second nature.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:02 PM

6,888 posts, read 22,420,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
It doesn't matter what your hands come into contact with as long as those same hands don't make contact with mouth, nose, eyes.
Protecting your purse or your kids shoes is silly.
It's the hands that need to be kept away from the face unless they are clean.
I am so trained .... so in the habit for more than 20 years ... to keep my hands away from my face when out and about that it's second nature.
Me too and if I feel the need to touch...out comes the Purell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness