U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 08:50 PM

1,673 posts, read 5,527,060 times

Advertisements

I have been diagnosed by a Dr. as having adrenal fatigue syndrome. Under his care I must go without grains/flour, sugar and white potatoes for 6 mos! This is a very long time I admit but if I can get my health back it's absolutely worth it. Today is the first day and I have been feeling hungry all afternoon despite eating. I now have a headache which I'm wondering is from the withdrawal of this. I was told by a friend I need more red meat which has fat which will sustain my energy longer so I do intend to implement this. Has anyone else been this this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 09:25 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,877,668 times
One quick question about the symptoms of this, does this cause you to want to take off running? Try to get to any place besides where you are at that very moment?

I have had something like that happen before, the "fight or flight" thing, where I can be sitting and start feeling really weird and have to take off running outside or something.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:27 PM

2,903 posts, read 11,166,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
I have been diagnosed by a Dr. as having adrenal fatigue syndrome. Under his care I must go without grains/flour, sugar and white potatoes for 6 mos! This is a very long time I admit but if I can get my health back it's absolutely worth it. Today is the first day and I have been feeling hungry all afternoon despite eating. I now have a headache which I'm wondering is from the withdrawal of this. I was told by a friend I need more red meat which has fat which will sustain my energy longer so I do intend to implement this. Has anyone else been this this?
I have not but i'd just like to add that it would be, in my opinion, better to get your fat and protein from salmon (for example) as opposed to red meat.
The fat is salmon is good for you ... the fat of beef ... not so much.
There are many good sources of fat that are beneficial.
Animal fat is not one of those sources.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieChick1972 View Post
One quick question about the symptoms of this, does this cause you to want to take off running? Try to get to any place besides where you are at that very moment?

I have had something like that happen before, the "fight or flight" thing, where I can be sitting and start feeling really weird and have to take off running outside or something.
That sounds as though something else is going on as well.
Although it's true that the fight or flight response is related to the adrenal glands.
By the way, O.P. ... how is that diet supposed to help with adrenal burnout?

Old 09-06-2009, 09:46 PM

19,634 posts, read 53,495,108 times
Can't say I have the same problem, but when I had surgery 4 yrs ago, one adrenal gland was nicked and removed. I felt so awfull for weeks - I couldn't move beyond getting dressed most days. Finally saw my regular doctor who said the diuretic I was on worked through the adrenals and I had to get a new pill. Fixed everything.

I am on Lasix now and know it is safe. Are you taking a diuretic?

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:31 PM

1,673 posts, read 5,527,060 times
I haven't had the energy to respond until now. I am pretty listless, have a dull headache, and tired. My stomach feels empty yet I don't want food. Sounds like I would be fun to be around eh. At one point I was ready to ditch this diet due to talking with friends and just the way I feel. But then I remember my doctor said the withdrawals wouldn't be easy (although he never said what they would be). Well, from what I learned online I am probably going through sugar withdrawals. Hopefully in a day or two it will go away. The worst problem is the 'brain fog' and unable to focus. I am just glad I am not working today. Some symptoms of sugar withdrawal I found online area: headaches, cravings, fatigue, tremors, depression and anxiety - CHECK!. Let me answer a few of your questions from above:

I can't say I feel like running. Actually just the opposite. All day I have been lying around pretty much feeling miserable. Hopefully this too will pass. Drinking more water is recommended so I am trying to do this.

I will have to try salmon. I really never cooked seafood at home and usually go out for it but I might have to give this a try.

This diet is to get my adrenals stabilized. My doctor said they are up and down (probably due to my eating habits) so hopefully this will calm things down.

I am not taking a diuretic.

So, it seems giving up sugar isn't easy but hopefully as time goes on I will feel better. I will post again when I have time and have more info to add.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:58 PM

5,120 posts, read 9,416,029 times
While fresh salmon is wonderful (especially wild caught and not farmed) there is Wild Alaskan Salmon in cans right next to the tuna fish...it's easy to use in salmon salad just as you would make tuna salad--or just add to green salads..

When you're feeling more energy, you can make salmon cakes by adding some cooked lentils or brown rice and seasonings, moisten with a bit of vegetable broth and brown mustard, form into patties, and bake for a bit.

Good luck on your de-tox--please drink lots of liquids--room temperature water and herbal teas. Peppermint tea is especially soothing for upset tummies and digestive tracts...

Old 09-07-2009, 01:03 PM

15,527 posts, read 29,240,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
If your diagnosis was pancreatic fatigue then I would understand why your doctor would suggest this particular change in diet to reduce the acid level. However, adrenal fatigue is chiefly caused by stress and has virtually nothing to do with your diet.

Are you sure you heard him right? Google it for yourself if you do not believe me. (By the way, in case it is pancreatic fatigue, you would most certainly want to stop eating a lot of meat because a meat diet is very acidic. You want to eat lots of fresh vegetables and other foods that will put your body into a more alkaline state).

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-07-2009, 02:44 PM

(The letter after B on my keyboard is not working - therefore the blanks where that letter should be ... sorry).
I'm wondering if her diet it's loosely (but poorly) based on the Zone diet.
This diet is essentially about eating protein, fat and (arbs in the proper balan_e in order to a_hieve the most efficient insulin production, lose weight and balan_e hormone levels.
I'm wondering if "stabilizing the adrenals" (as she put it) has more to do with stabilizing the insulin produ_tion and i believe that stabilization is related to hormonal balan_e.
If she's having issues with her adrenal glands then perhaps the m.d. is addressing her endo_rine system with this diet ... but it sounds or seems in_omplete to me.
I dunno.
Just a thought.
But if this is so, i'd just do the Zone diet whi_h is, from my experien_e in the past, a very good one and i had amazing results with it.
I didn't go on the diet for weight loss although i did drop a few extra pounds and very qui_kly along with a lot of water weight.
I went on this diet as i was extremely fatigued and burn out and knew that my diet, in part, was key.
I felt great on it and never, ever was i hungry ... just the opposite.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:55 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,481,736 times
Citydweller, have you been recommended any vitamins or herbs?
I understand your sugar withdrawal as i went through it myself. brain fog will turn into brain clarity so keep it up!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness