Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2014, 11:56 PM

1 posts, read 5,116 times

Advertisements

I live in a building where there is shared laundry machine and was wondering if I have athletes foot or similar fungus, would there be a risk of transferring it from my load of wash to another persons wash?

I haven't been able to find anything that suggests this using google so thought I would ask here.

Last edited by itchyguy; 10-04-2014 at 01:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 01:42 AM

44,540 posts, read 61,201,075 times
Depends on the conditions. Cold water washing may not kill the fungi and dirty the machine. Hot water washing and drying should kill the fungi. I guess you'll find out when you wash your clothes and put them on.

Athlete's foot Causes - Diseases and Conditions - Mayo Clinic

Athlete's foot is caused by the same type of fungus that causes ringworm and jock itch. Damp socks and shoes and warm, humid conditions favor the organisms' growth.

Athlete's foot is contagious and can be spread by contact with an infected person or from contact with contaminated surfaces, such as towels, floors and shoes.

Old 10-04-2014, 05:59 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,809,339 times
Prevent the Spread of Athlete's Foot in Laundry

This site has info on your question.

Sounds like you'll even need to clean your laundry basket so as not to spread it further.

Seems like you'll need to wash the affected clothing in very hot water. Some sites recommend using bleach, some sites disagree with the bleach theory.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:02 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,809,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Depends on the conditions. Cold water washing may not kill the fungi and dirty the machine. Hot water washing and drying should kill the fungi. I guess you'll find out when you wash your clothes and put them on.

Athlete's foot Causes - Diseases and Conditions - Mayo Clinic

Athlete's foot is caused by the same type of fungus that causes ringworm and jock itch. Damp socks and shoes and warm, humid conditions favor the organisms' growth.

Athlete's foot is contagious and can be spread by contact with an infected person or from contact with contaminated surfaces, such as towels, floors and shoes.

The temperature of the hot water in the washing machine has to reach a certain number to work.

Prevent the Spread of Athlete's Foot in Laundry
Use hot water (140 degrees F. or 60 degrees C.) and regular detergent for infected laundry. Lower temperatures will not kill the fungus and can transfer spores to other fabrics in the same load.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness