U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-11-2009, 01:53 PM

1,935 posts, read 725,901 times
Question Where can I buy Potassium salt, the kind used to lower Blood Pressure?

My mom who lives in India has high blood pressure, and her Dr. has advised her to use Potassium salt (KCl) instead of ordinary salt (NaCl). Problem is, Potassium salt is not easily available there, and even when they are, it's very expensive. So I figured I'll buy some from here in US bulk and send it to her. But, I can't find any good place here to buy it from. Couple of years ago, I bought some brand from Amazon and sent it to her, but she said the salt was very bitter.

Any ideas? Does anyone else use Potassium salt regularly in their diet? If so, where do they buy it from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 06:11 PM

2,074 posts, read 8,130,612 times
How about just eliminating as much salt as possible from your dailey diet? Actually, I've never heard of KCI - kinda of interesting, tho.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:06 PM

264 posts, read 515,054 times
there is one called AlsoSalt that you might look into ... side note: K salt should not be used by people who are on certain medications (mainly some for bp and/or fluid) or who have kidney problems

Old 09-12-2009, 08:49 AM

7,092 posts, read 6,925,568 times
It's pretty easy to find in no salt seasonings, amazon is usually where I see it.

Be careful to, it should taste very close to the same as regular salt. You can have an allergy to it (I know because I do) so extremely bad tastes or a rash could be something more.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:54 AM

1,935 posts, read 725,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
How about just eliminating as much salt as possible from your dailey diet? Actually, I've never heard of KCI - kinda of interesting, tho.
Because she cooks for the whole family, it's kinda difficult to use one seasoning for her food, and something else for the rest. Ideally, I want something which the whole family can use as a whole with no ill-effects. It's KCl (Potassium Chloride - K is chemical symbol for Potassium, Cl is chemical symbol for Chlorine).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonmom3 View Post
there is one called AlsoSalt that you might look into ... side note: K salt should not be used by people who are on certain medications (mainly some for bp and/or fluid) or who have kidney problems
Thanks for the tip on AlsoSalt. Their website says FoodLion has it. I am going to run down later in the evening to see if my neighborhood FL has it. I also will try and sample it first, if they'll allow it, to see if it has any aftertaste or not. Expensive though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
It's pretty easy to find in no salt seasonings, amazon is usually where I see it.

Be careful to, it should taste very close to the same as regular salt. You can have an allergy to it (I know because I do) so extremely bad tastes or a rash could be something more.
After my bad experience with my last Amazon purchase, I'd stay away from ordering anything online, unless I can sample it first. Otherwise, there'd be no way of knowing whether they have an aftertaste or not.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:49 PM

11,399 posts, read 25,434,477 times
Anyone on calcium channel blockers, like Lisinopril, should NOT use such a salt. And yes, KCl does taste a little bitter compared to NaCl.

One of the better substitutes in some foods is vinegar. It can multiply the saltiness of foods or mimic the effect of salt on french fries, greens, and some other foods. Vinegar gets the tang from acetic acid, which is not a sodium product. Another thought is that MSG (monosodium glutimate) is a better flavor enhancer than salt that is used in miniscule amounts. Adding a small 4" x 1/2" section of dried kelp (contains a natural MSG) in a soup about 20 minutes from the end will pop the flavors without significantly increasing the sodium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness