U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2009, 09:57 AM

3,224 posts, read 6,511,350 times

Advertisements

I have had pain in my left breast for quite some time, and was afraid I had developed a lump. I went for my yearly exam with my doctor yesterday, and in the course discovered I have Fibrocystic Breast Disorder. My doctor told me this is benign and actually quite common.

Does anyone else suffer from this same disorder? How do you cope? What are your triggers? What do you do to alleviate the symptoms and pain? Please help!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 04:27 PM

350 posts, read 3,796,120 times
Hi,

I also have fibrocystic breasts--I get terrible breast pain, most of the time cyclical. I also have dense, lumpy, breasts that my breast surgeon says is very hard to examine. I also have 3 fibroadenomas in my breasts. These are benign, round, mobile, well-circumscribed lumps. I had two more, but I had those removed a few months ago, and then I got a few more this summer. They appear quickly and can grow fast. I go for a lot of ultrasounds, and have a clinical breast exam by a breast surgeon every 3 months. I am trying to decide what to do about these new lumps that just appeared. My surgeon says we can either watch and wait 6 months and see if they grow, or biopsy them.

Fibrocystic breasts are very common, and are also very frustrating. I hate having pain all the time, and I hate getting these new lumps. I have become very anxious about my breasts. It's gotten to the point where I no longer touch them at all, both because of the constant pain and tenderness and also because I keep finding new lumps.

My triggers are caffeine and dairy products. I gave up all caffeine 10 years ago, but find that even if I have a chocolate cupcake, I have a lot of pain afterwards, because chocolate has caffeine. I also find that eating a lot of dairy products makes the pain worse. As a result, I consume no caffeine and a very low fat diet. I find this has helped somewhat, though I still get a lot of pain.

I find that not wearing a bra also helps me, though one would think the opposite. I find that wearing a bra makes the pain worse.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:57 PM

324 posts, read 929,873 times
Avoid Caffeine, as the above poster mentioned and you can have them asperated if it gets really large or painful. That sounds terrible, but no big deal at all. I did the asperation once, but now I control it with reducing caffeine. Good luck.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:16 PM

2,178 posts, read 8,813,726 times
When I had it my doctor suggested with giving up caffeine, to take 2 400IU of Vitamin E... and that helped me a lot!

Old 09-18-2009, 02:40 PM

3,702 posts, read 16,871,342 times
Give up caffeine, chocolate, and lose a little weight. It will do wonders. I have had a number of cysts aspirated w/o much trouble. One thing to remember though is never, ever miss a mammogram (no matter how painful) or dismiss a lump as being just another cyst. Always get checked out on a regular basis. Strangely enough, I had sore breasts, cysts, etc. almost always on the right side. Cancer snuck up and clipped me on the left side when I wasn't looking, never did find a lump there (now I don't have to worry about it). If I hadn't gone in to check out the cysts, the cancer would not have been found. Always check regularly, especially if you have fibrocystic breasts like mine.

Old 09-19-2009, 10:16 PM

9,101 posts, read 14,945,815 times
I had it and after seeing a Naturopath (after medical doctors all said there wasn't really andything I could do) the Naturopathic Doctor discovered I had a dairy sensitivity and also drank too much coffee. For 4 months I became a vegan. I gave up dairy except for a tiny bit of whole milk in one cup of coffee per day and ate mostly and Asian; Mexican or Indian food. I had Vanilla Rice Dream on whole grain cereal for breakfast and never went back to milk on cereal as I found I like the taste of Rice Milk better. I also was told to take 800 IUs of Vit E; 10k of Vit A, Borage Oil (essential fatty acids); Aqua Flora to kill off the yeast that had overtaken my blood stream and was setting up a precancerous condition; homeopathic Thyroid drops and a gladular for thyroid since my Thyroid was slightly underactive.

I stuck with the diet and took the supplements religiously and in two weeks I had so much energy and felt so good I couldn't even remember when I had felt that good before. So, I kept up for another 3.5 months. My Naturopath said I'd done well; had gotten rid of the dairy sensitivity and could go back to eating dairy and no longer needed the supplements. The fibrocystic breasts were no longer lumpy or sore either.

Dairy is NOT a health food like the American Dairy growers want us to believe it is. Whatever food you crave and eat the most of is the food that is making you sick that you need to cut OUT of your diet, until you can handle it again.

Here is the place on the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine's site that has the studies linking dairy and other foods to Cancer PCRM >> Search Results (http://pcrm.org/pcrmSearch.cfm - broken link)

On mammograms I AVOID them. They do more to CAUSE cancer than to detect it as they have 1000 x the amount of radiation that a chest x-ray has. http://campaignfortruth.com/Eclub/22...mammograms.htm Thermograms on the other hand do a better job of diagnosing (there are fewer false positives) and you don't get nuked each time you have one. http://www.thehealthierlife.co.uk/na...ams-19098.html

http://www.anthonynunes.com/monthly_article/mammograms.html (broken link)

Last edited by emilybh; 09-19-2009 at 10:27 PM..

Old 09-20-2009, 09:19 AM

350 posts, read 3,796,120 times
Dairy also seems to be an issue for me; I have dramatically cut back on my dairy yet I am still getting lumps and have the fibrocystic areas. I've been a vegetarian for years, and I barely eat any dairy--I, too use the rice milks instead of actual milk, and when I do use cheese or sour cream on something I make sure it's organic.

I am also strongly considering seeing a naturopath for this condition--modern medicine has nothing to offer me by way of prevention or treatment (except for surgically removing the masses, which I have done, but I keep getting more!)

I also do not wear a bra--I read years ago that wearing a bra can possibly make the condition worse because it constricts the lymph flowing properly in the breast region. However, I haven't worn a bra in years and it doesn't seem to be making a difference though I much prefer being braless.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:22 AM

2,633 posts, read 3,658,241 times
Menopause is a wonderful cure for fibrocystic breasts. :-)

Old 07-24-2019, 07:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,145 times
I am exhausted!! Another flare up this week!! I can't continue with so many doctor visits!! Surgery last year took a chunk of my boob and now he is suggesting to remove all of my ducts! Don't know if I'm going through mental pause and can't afford the cost of having the flare ups drained all of the time!

Old 07-24-2019, 08:22 PM

2,361 posts, read 1,196,754 times
My pain went away after I had a child, but not the heaviness. I tried cutting the caffeine and chocolate but didn't seriously help. I was 100 pounds then so not due to excess weight. For my size I had larger breasts, 34c i think. I was in so much pain I was thinking of having a great reduction to at least lesson the weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness