U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 09:34 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,133,839 times
According to this article (one month old) NY is requiring it. Not sure if it has changed since then.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/19/he...er=rss&emc=rss

Old 09-23-2009, 10:36 AM

7,715 posts, read 6,213,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
This sounds odd. I work in a hospital as well and I was never required to get the flu shot. As physicians, we were required to be vaccinated to work in hospitals to protect us and the patient since we have direct contact with them.
What? This sounds odd, indeed. Were you or weren't you? It sounds like you are contradicting yourself. Is there a typo?

Old 09-23-2009, 10:40 AM

7,715 posts, read 6,213,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblesandbits View Post
What can I do? They are making the flu shot mandatory. No excuses. I am 100% opposed to the flu shot and do not want toxic chemicals injected into me. Wearing masks for the entire flu season is not an option. It's either submit or be fired.

What can I do? I am losing sleep over this!
Are they paying your medical insurance? I remember when you could smoke in offices.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:46 AM

250 posts, read 559,350 times
Unless you're in the military and have 'orders' to get it, than likely the 'mandatory' statement is just highly recommended. You know states have mandatory laws on immunizations to enter into public school but what people fail to consider is that there are ALWAYS waivers and excemptions. In the state of CA schools pressured parents but in reality all that needed to be done was sign an affidavit stating you had a religious, philosophical (as you do) or medical reason why you didn't want your child injected with that crap (I agree w/you about all the chemicals--especially with a flu shot!). I would ask to sign an exemption stating you are opposed. You also might want to try and research your state laws National Vaccine Information Center – Vaccine Watch Dog

good luck

Old 09-23-2009, 10:50 AM

5,079 posts, read 8,490,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblesandbits View Post
What can I do? They are making the flu shot mandatory. No excuses. I am 100% opposed to the flu shot and do not want toxic chemicals injected into me. Wearing masks for the entire flu season is not an option. It's either submit or be fired.

What can I do? I am losing sleep over this!
I had the same issue. You have the right to "religious exemption". When the come around and tell you you have get one, just claim religious exemption - regardless of if you really have a belief. Beyond that, and by law they cannot force you to do something against your religion. They can have you review the risks of NOT getting it and then have you sign a religious exemption form but that is all you will need to do.

I work for a military installation and our occ health nurse was on my a$$ about for weeks citing it's "mandatory" - I said show me the document. She couldn't and then I just told her I was claiming religious exemption. Guess who didn't get a flu shot? ME!!

Old 09-23-2009, 10:54 AM

5,079 posts, read 8,490,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Not quite correct. The WHO (World Health Organisation) recently decided on this for health care workers and there's been a LOT of opposition to it. Google "mandatory vaccinations" and you'll find a slew of recent information and news articles about many health care worker groups who adamantly oppose such a program.
Healthcare worker here and work for a military base where it's "mandatory"which basically equated to "highly - strongly - recommended to which I kindly said "umm no thanks, I claim religious exemption" and that was it. I got counseled, signed a form and was excused from getting it. I have never in my life gotten one and have no intention of EVER getting one.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:55 AM

15,952 posts, read 11,869,173 times
Do you have a UNION? , this is why they exist

Old 09-23-2009, 11:02 AM

11,397 posts, read 25,413,162 times
On a legal basis, I suspect that most states would say that non-consent of a cogent person to have a substance injected under the skin is allowed. Doing so against that person's will would be assault.

That said, kids have to get shots to attend school, the military have certain required shots, and religious exemptions have to be at least somewhat consistent.

You could put together a legal document that if you agree to the shot the the hospital has full liability for any reaction you might have, along with agreeing to pay for any pain and suffering. Make it about ten pages long and filled with boilerplate, and then state that you'll be happy to have the shot if the CEO will just sign here...

Old 09-23-2009, 11:53 AM

5,814 posts, read 14,332,941 times
I think you may be over-worrying a bit. Talk to your supervisor and (calmly, professionally) explain you do not want the vaccine. If need be, talk to HR about it. I have worked in healthcare for quite a while and have friends who work in hospitals and other direct-care facilities; flu vaccines are always encouraged but I know several people who refuse them (including doctors). I assure you, you won't be the only employee who declines.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:00 PM

1,977 posts, read 2,968,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronenborg View Post
it sounds highly improbable that an employer would have any right to mandate flu vaccinations for employees.

im not quite sure i understand the big opposition though...is it really one of principle, or do you have a phobia or something? to go to the lengths of potentially quitting your job over something as trivial as a flu vaccination doesnt seem like a logical course of action. perhaps if you were up front with your employer about your concerns/fears (even if it might be somewhat embarassing), they might be sympathetic to your exemption from being vaccinated.

free flu vaccinations are supposed to be win/win arrangements for employees and employers alike, not a punishment or imposition. if you work in healthcare or an allied profession, i would have thought an understanding of the benefits of vaccination, and minimisation of risk to other hospital occupants would come with the territory.

bottom line: noone is going to physically restrain you and inject you against your will.

I do not do flu shots, have 2 family members paralized from the shot. I will not do it. I would be furious if my employer even suggested it going mandatory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness