U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 12:12 PM

12,980 posts, read 17,728,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblesandbits View Post
What can I do? They are making the flu shot mandatory. No excuses. I am 100% opposed to the flu shot and do not want toxic chemicals injected into me. Wearing masks for the entire flu season is not an option. It's either submit or be fired.

What can I do? I am losing sleep over this!

What kind of work are you in?
What do you do?
What state are you in?

An employer cannot make it mandatory for you to get a flu shot. There are many reasons why people would NOT get it (allergies to eggs is one). I really suggest you contact an employment attorney because they cannot MAKE you get a flu shot.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:21 PM

784 posts, read 1,514,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieChick1972 View Post
<>I for one really oppose needles<>
Needles? or injections?
"no sharp pointy object required"

Old 09-23-2009, 03:35 PM

350 posts, read 1,917,248 times
Yes, I work at a hospital and they really are making this mandatory. It's been all over the news that several hospitals in the US, such as Loyola, are making the flu shot mandatory for all employees this year (in past years it has just been strongly recommended, this year they're using the language, "mandatory.") Just google Loyola Hospital in Chicago and flu shots and let me know what you think. I don't see any way to get out of this. They are not letting people get by with exemptions--allergies or religious--easily. It is very, very difficult to prove an exemption. I refuse to get a flu shot. Many people in my family have had negative experiences with them and I will not be getting one.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:19 PM

5,793 posts, read 14,222,059 times
If you've actually already attempted to decline the shot, including talking to Human Resources, I would think your next step would be to consult with your state's labor board. You won't be able to do anything unless they actually fire you, but it would be good to know what your recourses might be if it comes to that.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:38 PM

7,387 posts, read 6,220,679 times
Quote:
Yes, I work at a hospital and they really are making this mandatory. It's been all over the news that several hospitals in the US, such as Loyola, are making the flu shot mandatory for all employees this year (in past years it has just been strongly recommended, this year they're using the language, "mandatory.") Just google Loyola Hospital in Chicago and flu shots and let me know what you think. I don't see any way to get out of this. They are not letting people get by with exemptions--allergies or religious--easily. It is very, very difficult to prove an exemption. I refuse to get a flu shot. Many people in my family have had negative experiences with them and I will not be getting one.

You mentioned earlier possibly quitting over this, I would NOT recommend that at all. You stick with it.

They can NOT force to have these shots, nor can they make it difficult to prove exemption. You might want to see if can search and find the laws and possible statutes online tonight and then first thing in the morning call State Labor board. Get your information in order and then you can go at this fully prepared.

There are many who feel the same way that you do in this.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:43 PM

2,868 posts, read 6,010,996 times
Quote:

They can't make you if your allergic to eggs...That is putting your health at risk..

Old 09-23-2009, 05:44 PM

another possible contact is the ACLU.....

Old 09-23-2009, 06:05 PM

1,194 posts, read 2,374,766 times
If your job doesn't require you to kiss others all the time or come into close contact with potential clients or you are not in the military then your employer cannot mandate you to receive any injection you do not want...

Initiate a one on one with your employer and they just need to understand you do not want the shot unless you have the flu and your life is as risk. They are in the wrong on this matter...

Old 09-23-2009, 06:28 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,000,938 times
Personally, I'm somewhat ambivalent about mandatory flu vaccination for ALL hospital employees.

I think frontline staff, nurses, docs, PA's, NP's etc owe it to their patients to get the flu shot, and I do every season as do the majority of nurses, docs etc.

Many of the posts on this thread keep re hashing the same refrain.

They can't make you...

This isn't legal...

No way would any employer force this..

The OP has already stated the pertinent facts, he or she works in a hospital and that hospital IS mandating flu shots for all employees....period...

It is happening and has happened elsewhere...

Folks HAVE lost their jobs over refusing to get the shot already this season, it is being required, mandated, laws passed etc...

There is no point arguing about whether or not this is possible or legal...it IS happening, right now.

I think the most valuable advice folks have offered is to talk to your HR representative, union rep if you are part of a nurses union. Find out if you have any recourse. As you have already stated, you may lose your job over this if you stick to your guns.

Ultimately you have to decide if you can do that....

The Associated Press: Health workers under pressure to get flu shots

News Release Detail

Old 09-23-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Personally, I'm somewhat ambivalent about mandatory flu vaccination for ALL hospital employees.

I think frontline staff, nurses, docs, PA's, NP's etc owe it to their patients to get the flu shot, and I do every season as do the majority of nurses, docs etc.

Many of the posts on this thread keep re hashing the same refrain.

They can't make you...

This isn't legal...

No way would any employer force this..

The OP has already stated the pertinent facts, he or she works in a hospital and that hospital IS mandating flu shots for all employees....period...

It is happening and has happened elsewhere...

Folks HAVE lost their jobs over refusing to get the shot already this season, it is being required, mandated, laws passed etc...

There is no point arguing about whether or not this is possible or legal...it IS happening, right now.

I think the most valuable advice folks have offered is to talk to your HR representative, union rep if you are part of a nurses union. Find out if you have any recourse. As you have already stated, you may lose your job over this if you stick to your guns.

Ultimately you have to decide if you can do that....

The Associated Press: Health workers under pressure to get flu shots

News Release Detail

why discredit others advice and thoughts? There is nothing better the OP could do at this point that to arm his/her self with knowledge and laws on this type of thing. While this may be happening, it doesn't make it right OR legal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness