Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 09:23 AM

531 posts, read 2,899,302 times

Advertisements

Every once in a while, probably every 3 months or so, I have a day where I feel absolutely horrible. Today is one of these days. Just so unbelievably tired, headache-y, overall major lethargy. I'm a 41 year old male in decent health although not physically active. I generally get about 7 hours of sleep/night, although it is often interrupted as I have 2 young children. Last night I slept ok and only had one or two small sleep interruptions. I went to bed at 11 and slept until 6:45.

My guess is that there is no big secret as to what the problem would be, but I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this or similar experiences. I'm guessing the problem is not enough sleep and not enough exercise and a not great diet (although my diet is not horrible). But I'm wondering if some type of allergy could be at play or if something else is going on. I know this is a generic description but wondering if others have days like this and what they do to help perk up and get past it. I've had 2 cups of coffee already so that hasn't helped!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 09:56 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,718 times
Wow, bummer, sorry to hear that. Have you scheduled a physical yet? I'd start there.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:06 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
The problem might be related to what psychologist's call "anniversary dates." Are there any traumatic events in your past which coincide with these periods of depression? (and that's what it sounds like).

If so, recognize it and suffer through. Medication, including self-adminstered alcohol, works for short-term relief until the episode is passed.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:37 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,726,610 times
It may be that every once in awhile you hit a wall of sorts and your body goes into something like a depression.
You may be going along in your life and fulfilling your "duties" as husband and father but every so often you wanna "get off the bus" ... break patterns and take a rest from your life, "curl up in a ball" and take care of yourself.
Since it's probably not easy for you to do it consciously, you may manifest physical symptoms that allow you to focus your energy on your self.
This is not to say that your physical symptoms are not real.
Of course, a better diet, a decrease in caffeine intake and some daily exercise might help you.
This is just what came to me but i'm aware that i may be way off.
Regardless, do take care of yourself.
I don't think you need to run to a doctor as someone suggested since these symptoms of malaise are not constant and happen every 3 months or so but you may want to start taking a little bit better care of yourself (or a lot better care of yourself if you're into it) so that you can get through your 40's, 50's and on up with as much energy and vitality as possible.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:50 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,427,075 times
You are a product of what you are putting into your body. For example whenever I eat battery chicken (not free range) in the evening, the next morning my mind and body is nowhere as sharp as per normal. That is just one example different things effect different people differently. Could be a possiblity in your case something you are consuming. Then again there are a long list of possiblities as to what is going on.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:11 PM

556 posts, read 2,087,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
You are a product of what you are putting into your body.
I was thinking along the same lines as dave nz - and wondering if there was a common 'dinner the night prior' that you could put your finger on, as the possible culprit to a 'down in the dumps' feeling the next day.

Maybe start journaling your food and beverage intake and see if you can find something that repeats, about the same time as your lousy overall feeling.

Good luck...I think for me - I'd be putting 'diet' as my first possible culprit....and going from there.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:23 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,040,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeanyer View Post
Every once in a while, probably every 3 months or so, I have a day where I feel absolutely horrible. Today is one of these days. Just so unbelievably tired, headache-y, overall major lethargy. I'm a 41 year old male in decent health although not physically active. I generally get about 7 hours of sleep/night, although it is often interrupted as I have 2 young children. Last night I slept ok and only had one or two small sleep interruptions. I went to bed at 11 and slept until 6:45.

My guess is that there is no big secret as to what the problem would be, but I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this or similar experiences. I'm guessing the problem is not enough sleep and not enough exercise and a not great diet (although my diet is not horrible). But I'm wondering if some type of allergy could be at play or if something else is going on. I know this is a generic description but wondering if others have days like this and what they do to help perk up and get past it. I've had 2 cups of coffee already so that hasn't helped!

You know, people today have this idea that every day we are suppose to be chipper and full of energy. Not true. It's just a fact of life that each day will be different and all you can do is deal with it the best you can.

On a side note there are many forces that we are unaware of (e.g. audio signals, electromagnetic light spectrum, planetary movements) that effect us in ways that we have yet to explain.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:47 PM

65 posts, read 191,915 times
As long as you didn't drink the night before, I would guess it is a hypothyroid problem. Assuming you are planning a physical I would have them order a TSH level test. I know that hypothyroid will make you CRASH with exhaustion, an exhaustion that seems unexplainable. Some days you are fine, other days you need 2 naps and fall asleep at 8:00 pm in your chair. If you have troubles with weight gain and have issues with being cold/having cold hands and feet, then I would just about bet money on it.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:05 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,726,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buona sera View Post
As long as you didn't drink the night before, I would guess it is a hypothyroid problem. Assuming you are planning a physical I would have them order a TSH level test. I know that hypothyroid will make you CRASH with exhaustion, an exhaustion that seems unexplainable. Some days you are fine, other days you need 2 naps and fall asleep at 8:00 pm in your chair. If you have troubles with weight gain and have issues with being cold/having cold hands and feet, then I would just about bet money on it.
Do you think that someone with a hypo thyroid condition would manifest symptoms only once every 3 months or so?

Old 10-05-2009, 09:10 PM

65 posts, read 191,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Do you think that someone with a hypo thyroid condition would manifest symptoms only once every 3 months or so?
Well with me it crept up on me, so yes, if it was just beginning, maybe it would. I was just suggesting that he get his TSH level tested since there are a ton of hypothyroid people out there who don't know they are. I know with me there were days I felt great, but over the last four years there were an increasing number of days where I felt so tired I couldn't stand it, and I would practically pass out about one oclock, even though I have never been a big sleeper even as a baby. I think any time there is severe exhaustion involved that seems unexplained then that could be a culprit. I am not a doctor, just trying to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness