U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-25-2009, 06:54 AM

521 posts, read 1,415,335 times
Just a follow up as I saw my urologist yesterday. First, the stone is large enough that it is not "passable". A 7mm stone won't just come out. Second, the stone is not appearing on an x-ray, but it did appear on a cat scan. That may mean that it is a uric acid stone, which would not be visible on an x-ray. Or it just may not be visible for whatever reason. The fact that it can't be seen on an x-ray makes treating it difficult, to say the least. Basically, involves inserting a catheter up my urethra (ouch) to the kidney with a small camera on the end, injecting the area with dye so the stone is visible, then blasting it with ultrasounds into small pieces, which then need to be passed. Horrible. I asked my urologist how he felt about not doing anything and he said he was comfortable with that and suggested I come back in 3 months. The bleeding has stopped and I am completely pain and symptom free. He said there is a chance that this stone will be with me for the rest of my life (I'm 41) and not cause any problems. The bleeding, by the way, is caused by the stone "scratching" the wall of the kidney (which isn't as bad as it sounds); streneous activity like running can cause the stone to do that and lead to bleeding.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 07:21 AM

33,378 posts, read 28,007,444 times
Sort of related story. I once had 13 gall stones. They went unnoticed until they blocked the bile duct. There was a great pain and lots of swelling. I went to the emergency room and by the time the stones were removed, the gall bladder went necrotic (gangrenous) and I spent three days in the ICU with intravenous antibiotics and continuous painkiller. Those things darn near killed me.

I suggest you just remain aware that this thing can cause a lot of problems if it ever blocks the urethra. I suggest remaining within a few hours of an emergency room at all times.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:23 AM

6,040 posts, read 6,535,698 times
I've passed many kidney stones and most were just little things like a grain of coarse ground black pepper. I did once pass a monster and it was very painful. It was full of little holes and sharp little points and was called a jack stone. It was shaped like a teardrop or pear shaped and it measured 6.5 mm x 8.5 mm x 10.5 mm and it only really hurt bad when it was migrating from the kidney to the bladder. Once it was in the bladder it didn't take long for it to find its way out with the stream and it didn't hurt very much on its way out. It was like peeing out a raisin and when I showed it to my doctor he said it was the largest kidney stone he had ever seen. Drink lots of water if you are prone to gout or kidney stones.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:51 AM
pll

924 posts, read 1,316,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeanyer View Post
Just a follow up as I saw my urologist yesterday. First, the stone is large enough that it is not "passable". A 7mm stone won't just come out. Second, the stone is not appearing on an x-ray, but it did appear on a cat scan. That may mean that it is a uric acid stone, which would not be visible on an x-ray. Or it just may not be visible for whatever reason. The fact that it can't be seen on an x-ray makes treating it difficult, to say the least. Basically, involves inserting a catheter up my urethra (ouch) to the kidney with a small camera on the end, injecting the area with dye so the stone is visible, then blasting it with ultrasounds into small pieces, which then need to be passed. Horrible. I asked my urologist how he felt about not doing anything and he said he was comfortable with that and suggested I come back in 3 months. The bleeding has stopped and I am completely pain and symptom free. He said there is a chance that this stone will be with me for the rest of my life (I'm 41) and not cause any problems. The bleeding, by the way, is caused by the stone "scratching" the wall of the kidney (which isn't as bad as it sounds); streneous activity like running can cause the stone to do that and lead to bleeding.
I'm surprised your Urologist hasn't suggested the lipotripsy procedure. It pulverizes the stone(s) and is a outpatient surgury. It usually very successful.
You may always be prone to stones. Be sure to always be hydrated. Drink a lot of water(not tea or soda) and exercise daily. That should cut down on the frequency of them developing.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:34 PM

6,040 posts, read 6,535,698 times
My large stone didn't show up on an ex ray either and my doctor told me there was no treatment for kidney stones and never suggested getting a ct scan. I don't see that doctor anymore he wasn't very good at anything other than writing prescriptions. A stone 6.5 mm x 8.5 mm x 10.5 mm is huge and was absolute agony in the first stages of passing. I was on the road driving on a lengthy trip during the worst part of it.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,344 times
Default 7mm stone

I have been battling kidney stone formation for eleven years now with occurances that require strong pain killers about every 2-3 years. I too have been on and off with medical ins. and sub-standard healthcare. for the past few years that has changed, I have some great coverage now and Dr's that can't believe that I wasn't diagnosed earlier with MSK. (my previous Dr prescribed muscle relaxers & painkillers to deal with the pain of 3mm stones he knew I still had without addressing why I was getting them) I had a lithotripsy for a 6mm stone in 2011 and I'll have another for a 7mm on the opposite side in about a week. I have a condition called medullary sponge kidney which effectively slows the flow of urine and makes a perfect environment for the production of stones. Increasing the intake of water is essential to prevention of kidney stones, using lemon in water or orange juice or grapefruit juice, effects the PH of the urinary tract to make the production of certain types of stones less likely to form and possibly stop growing. That being said for prevention, allowing a 7mm stone to "try" to pass is dangerous and unwise. Besides infection the pain will be excruciating and it likely will just get stuck doing unknown damage to the surrounding tissues. It is expensive to have treated but it is much more expensive to have it done in an emergency situation.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:46 PM

8,854 posts, read 15,790,715 times
I had lithotripsy for a 7mm stone about two years ago, but I still have a smaller stone in the other kidney. They can stay in there for years, maybe even decades.

I just started taking potassium citrate supplements to see if it helps with stone formation. Supposedly the citrate (also found in lemons) prevents stones from being able to form.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:21 PM

4,551 posts, read 6,164,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I had lithotripsy for a 7mm stone about two years ago, but I still have a smaller stone in the other kidney. They can stay in there for years, maybe even decades.

I just started taking potassium citrate supplements to see if it helps with stone formation. Supposedly the citrate (also found in lemons) prevents stones from being able to form.

I had lithrotripsy as well and I am on a potassium citrate as well. I also need to drink plenty of water which is hard sometimes to convince your employer that you should be allowed to drink water at your work station especially since I also take a diuretic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness