Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 10:16 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,305,220 times

Advertisements

To be honest I don't remember if what I had/have was hyper or hypo. I know my thyroid works to hard and produces to little of something necessary. It was to little but enough to not need any medications at the time according to the second Dr's opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 12:18 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,647,943 times
My ten year old daughter is hypothyroid. She has the autoimmune kind. We found out it when she was nine, also by accident like the OP. She had no symptoms, and the bloodwork was for an unrelated thing. We have had a tough year with her, but I think we are on the right path now, and she is feeling great!

My best advice would be to make sure they do the full panel of testing, not just the TSH. You may want to see an Endocrinologist that specializes in Thyroid problems. Ask questions, and let the doctor know if you are not feeling right, and if they don't want to do anything about it, find someone who will!

Getting enough vitamin D and selenium is very important to people with thyroid disease. Also take a good B complex - it will help with energy.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:21 PM

811 posts, read 1,386,439 times
I have a Dr. appointment this week for a checkup. For years I have had vague symptoms that I feared were MS, though my MRI didn't show anything. Looking at the symptoms of hypothyroidism, I have many of those symptoms- sluggishness/"foggy" mind, "blues"/depression, tingling in hands/feet (which I was certain is MS), HEAVY periods, thinning hair, especially eyebrows, etc. I would be SO relieved if this is my problem, as it could be treated. Though I never feel really "bad", I haven't felt "great" in years. So we'll see what this week's appointment will bring. (I'm nervous about it, of course).

Old 11-03-2009, 06:23 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times
I was diagnosed by accident a couple of weeks ago. I had all the symptoms but didn't put 2 and 2 together. I just kind of ignored it. I will start Levothyroxine tomorrow. I hope I don't get any side effects. the pharmacist today said 50% of women are hypothyroid. I still want to get my iodine checked to make sure I'm not deficent. I heard that can cause a low thyroid. The nurse didn't think it was necessary to check it.

I will get my thyroid levels checked in 10 weeks. Hopefully, I'll lose some of the weight I gained and the other side effects will go away.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:09 AM

65 posts, read 290,042 times
Hypothyroid is very common, especially in woman.
Feeling cold when everyone is normal. gaining weight when not eating much, Fatigue, brittle skin, hair falling out are some of the common symtoms. The good thing is that synthroid or another synthetic thyroid hormone can completely fix this problem. If your body is very sensitive to thyroid hormone, try staying on the same brand of pill. If you are on a brand name like synthroid , stay on that. If you are on a generic try staying on the same generic (which can be very hard) as sometimes there can be a 10% difference in bioavailability between drugs. THis may seem little but not for someone who needs 100mcg and is only getting 90mcg that will make a difference.

A primary care physician can usually treat hypothyroidism. A TSh is usually enough, unless patient is still symptomatic. Then one should go to an endocrinologist.

Synthroid's half life is about ~7 days. If you hypothetically took synthroid for 3 months straight and then completely stopped, it would take 6 weeks for all the synthroid to be out of your body. This means that even if you forget to take a dose or two, you will not experience hypothyroid symptoms. You will need to be off thyroid for a minimum of a 5-7 days to even feel the tiniest of symptoms.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:25 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times
I took my first does of Levothyroxine and so far no side effects!

Old 11-05-2009, 04:22 PM

811 posts, read 1,386,439 times
Well, I went to my doctor today, and to my disappointment, he suggested it's depression. I tried an antidepressant years ago for these similar symptoms and felt no different. He did order bloodwork, and I pray it shows SOMETHING is "off" to prove I'm not nuts! I will certainly consider going to an endocrinologist next.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:12 AM

8 posts, read 45,403 times
Thank you for hope....I am going to post a New Blog to see what knowledge is out there...

Old 01-06-2010, 05:36 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times
Levothyroxine is generic Synthroid. I've been on it for years with pretty good results and no side effects. I don't care for the fact that there is more than one company that makes it and sometimes refills have a new look. It's whatever the pharmacy happens to have on hand at the time.

Watch your diet also. Do a search on foods that are thyroid suppressives. Soy is in just about everything, but it's also one of those that suppress the thyroid function. Try to watch your intake of those foods, and concentrate on those that help the thyroid.

I recently tried to go on Armour but it seems there are manufacturing delays and pharmacies don't seem to have it on hand right now. And they don't know when they will have it. It's been several months now. I believe the Armour gives better results. Does anyone know what the production hold up is?

Old 01-06-2010, 06:23 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,444,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odessa3 View Post
Well, I went to my doctor today, and to my disappointment, he suggested it's depression. I tried an antidepressant years ago for these similar symptoms and felt no different. He did order bloodwork, and I pray it shows SOMETHING is "off" to prove I'm not nuts! I will certainly consider going to an endocrinologist next.
If you truly think you are hypothyroid then go to a endocrinologist Also get a copy of your test results and research them online.
If you are close to the results that point hypothyroid then you can talk to your
Dr. about it as the score range is not set in stone. It is merely a gaging point to start from.
Someone could be hypothyroid and be just within the range of normal but we are all different and what our bodies require are all different and a Good Dr. will take that into account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness