U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2007, 04:50 PM

9,362 posts, read 22,334,554 times

Advertisements

Can smoke from forest fires cause ringing in the ears? I have had ringing in my ears intermittantly for several days. Jax has a great deal of smoke from the forest fires in GA and south of here. Could that be the cause?

I don't want to pay $50 for a walk-in clinic only to be told it is a temporary issue due to the smoke. And I have tried googling it, but haven't found any smoke-ringing connection.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2007, 05:34 AM

9,537 posts, read 19,402,289 times
I googled respiratory and ringing ears and found there was a connection to sinus problems and ear ringing. So more than likely you are right to suspect a connection.

Old 05-05-2007, 05:43 AM

17,835 posts, read 29,403,652 times
on the news last night they said there were over 130 wild fires in Fla
It was so bad yesterday I was afraid they weren't going to let the kids out for the tree planting party. But all was good.
time to start doing the rain dance

karla

Old 05-05-2007, 11:53 AM

3,574 posts, read 12,838,127 times
On the other hand, there is a form of tinnitus (healthcare-speak for ringing in the ears) that can start without any prior warning signs, is more serious and can result in permanent hearing loss.....

Old 05-05-2007, 02:05 PM

I hope it's not tinnitus... I don't think there is any treatment for that, is there?

I'm treating it as a sinus thing- salt water nasal irrigation, holding my nose and blowing out to reduce ear pressure, staying inside. Haven't noticed it today and the smoke down greatly.

Now, what do you all make of this mole on my back...JK, LOL!

Old 05-05-2007, 02:16 PM

31,572 posts, read 12,705,655 times
HIF, I was talking to my Mom about you today and we were talking about all of the fires down there. I am so sorry. My Dad and I both have ringing in the ears, he says it's because of all of the loud noises we grew up with, ( he owned a machine shop), plus we had a boat and went to lots of drag races and other events with loud noise. The smoke can cause a lot of problems, I would check with your dr. about it. I will pray for rain for you guys.

Old 05-05-2007, 07:15 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,387,292 times
HIF -

I'd imagine the smoke wouldn't cause that, unless you had ear problems (infections, shooting pains) before. My uneducated guess would be that if your eyes aren't burning & you can breathe, it shouldn't affect ears. Holistically & in native circles, ear candling/coning is used to clear the ears & draw out impurities. In fact, I took classes to do it myself & helped 1 brother & 1 sister who've had a life time of infections & pain.

Perhaps seasonal allergies? I live in Boston & 2-yrs ago began having shooting ear pains, dizziness & nausea which progressed to vomiting, ringing ears & a monster headache within weeks. Dr told me to take over the counter meds (Sine-Off or Coricidin-D works for me) for seasonal allergies & at first, I though he was crazy. I was 46, never had allergies, but he said 50% of the patients he sees for allergies/asthma are 1st timers & over 50. Geesh! Just wanted to share in the hopes it will help you.

I hope you're feeling better! ...VV

Old 05-05-2007, 08:14 PM

Kittens-

My eyes are still burning and tearing even though the smoke has lessened. I think it is an allergy.

Funny what your doc said, as I never had any allergies or sinus until my 40s. And I don't even think about them being a problem until they get bad, as I never had them before. Last year I had an inner ear infection and didn't even know it. Just felt off balance, no pain or anything.

Guess I will take an OTC allergy medicine if it happens again. The nasal irrigation- you've probably heard of a netti pot- works best of all, but need to do it before the sinuses get infected.

I've seen those ear candles in natural food stores. Always wondered how they worked- seems as though they would burn or the wax would break off in the ear.

I am so bad about going to the doctor or taking meds- my friend came during Christmas and 80% of my OTC drugs had expired- some by more than 2years. And my son was prescribed an antibiotic for the first time in his life at 12 last year after coming back from camp with an infected mosquito bite on his rear end. Guess we've been fortunate to have healthy genes.

Thanks for the info.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:33 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,387,292 times
HIF -

I know what you mean, I dislike "having" to take meds, too, even OTC meds. It makes me feel old for some reason. But, I should feel lucky that I can get some needed relief. So, no worries, we're in good company since so much in our environment (pollution of all sorts, especially) is dredging up allergies/asthma in many of us. I live 1-mi from the Big Dig (which they're still working on) & it was predicted that breathing problems would drastically increase. And, in your area, breathing in any kind of smoke isn't good & I suppose, if you're allergic to the tree/grass/plants that are burning, it's only carrying it closer, I'd imagine.

Ear candles work fine if you place it into the ear properly. The small hole in the candle forms a seal if held right & was won't fall into the ear canal. Always good to have someone do it who has done it before. If you're interested, you can search around online & find folks who sell videos to train you how to do it. It's fairly easy, you just need to know what to do & not do.

Bravo to your son & the healthy family genes. That's great & seems to be less evident these days. Geesh, I grew up being fed antibiotics, but I think that drs back then more readily gave them for a whole host of things they wouldn't prescribe for today. For instance, I was diagnosed with asthma at 27. I was often given drugs for bronchitis & pneumonia up until then, but honestly, looking back on it, I think I had asthma all along, but no one ever took the time to test me for it. They gave antibiotics instead. I mean what 2-yr old or 16-yr old has pneumonia 3-times/yr? Sounds preposterous today.

Hope you're feeling better & that all is well down in FL!

Stay safe, have fun... VV

Old 05-09-2007, 05:21 PM

9,537 posts, read 19,402,289 times
Ugh, the smoke is terrible here now. It's giving me a terrible headache. I thought about your ears ringing today, my head was so stuffed up. No fun in FLorida this month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness