Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 09:11 AM

49,996 posts, read 63,313,910 times

Advertisements

I've never suffered with cold sores, for which I am very grateful, but I've always wondered.. why do they appear only on the lips? Why not elsewhere on the body?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 09:40 AM

1,869 posts, read 4,012,759 times
I second (3rd? 4th??) L-lysine. I got a little chapstick like bottle, in the chapstick section at CVS.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:29 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,159,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Thank you everyone for your advice. Where can I purchase L-Lysine as I've never heard of it? Also, where can I get the Tea Tree oil?
L-Lysine is an amino acid and can be found with the vitamins at health food stores, pharmacies and most grocery stores.

Here is some more info for you:
Cold Sore Remedies - Best Natural Remedies for Cold Sores
Herpes and Cold Sores Resource -

Quote:
I've never suffered with cold sores, for which I am very grateful, but I've always wondered.. why do they appear only on the lips? Why not elsewhere on the body?
You can get cold sores anywhere but they are easiest to spread from one mucous membrane to another and since people kiss, share drinks, chap-stick, etc they are most often spread lip to lip.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:43 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,159,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
This very issue is how I found out about city data. Used google to research mouth ulsers and city data came up, so there is another thread on this if you use the search function. The amino acid lysine does work for me.....BUT it is just one of the many amino acids your body needs so my advice is to purchase a protein supplement that has all the other Important amino acids as well as lysine.
There are two main amino acids which effect cold sores, arginine and L-Lysine. Arginine is almost like food for the virus. It helps cold sores replicate and produce symptoms. Taking supplements with arginine in them will make a cold sore worse. It's best to avoid arginine in supplements and in foods such as peanuts, chocolate, etc during an outbreak. L-Lysine competes with arginine and can actually repress arginine production, that's what makes it so helpful in combating cold sores. A supplement containing all of the amino acids may be fine in between outbreaks but if you feel a cold sore coming on or have an active outbreak you should avoid arginine and just take a L-Lysine supplement on it's own.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:30 PM

648 posts, read 3,078,195 times
my x put diluted bleach on his!

Old 10-05-2009, 03:05 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,609,929 times
when I feel a cold sore coming on, I take Lysine. also, I use neosporin on it. It seems to clear them up pretty quickly. If you seem to get cold sores from sun exposure, be sure to always use lip balm with at least a 15spf.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:02 PM

556 posts, read 2,080,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
If you seem to get cold sores from sun exposure, be sure to always use lip balm with at least a 15spf.
I agree 100% with sgresident! I have suffered from cold sores for all of my life - and in the last 10-15 years, I have used Hawaiian Tropic lip balm with 45 spf ANYTIME - let me repeat - ANYTIME I am going to be outside longer than moving from house to car.........and I find that my actual cold sore suffering has been almost eliminated.

I can't speak for Lysine, as I don't use it - but do use the Hawaiian Tropic Aloe Vera 45+ Sunscreen Lip Balm - all the time. In the odd event that I get an actual cold sore, I use Abreve at the first 'sensation, then for a few more days, along with the Hawaiian Tropic lip balm. I think I pay $1.67 per tube at Wal-Mart......hard to get unless you stock up at the beginning of the summer season - in early May.....I buy about 10 tubes when I first see it - have it in all my bags, purses, pockets, cars, etc.......so I'm never 'without' the SPF protection. And don't skip on cloudy days - the SPF on cloudy days is BRUTAL on those of us who suffer cold sores from sun exposure!

Old 10-05-2009, 09:33 PM

5,273 posts, read 7,328,801 times
Medicated lip balm blistex brand..............all the time...............helps prevent one. Of course I had a small one and used alcohol with a cotton ball directly on it and ICE ICE ICE..................................
KEPT putting ice directly on cold sore and poof gone in about 3 days! compared to two weeks! I hate those. Stress is a major factor....or weak immune system....winter or summer especially.

Old 10-06-2009, 04:22 PM

14,838 posts, read 8,471,334 times
Totally correct on the L-lysine and arginine .... arginine is food for the herpes virus (cold sores). And the best treatment is to prevent them ... especially those suffering chronic or frequent outbreaks. That preventative is avoiding foods that are high in arginine. One such common food these days is Soy. Avoid Soy, and products containing Soy. (Not good for you anyway, but that's another subject).

I've known a couple of people who suffered cold sores 3, 4 5 times a year. They eliminated Soy .. no more cold sores.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:01 AM

287 posts, read 1,007,560 times
I would get cold sores 5-7 times every winter. This is what worked for me:

Cold Sore & Genital Herpes Treatment. ViraSoothe, highly effective for cold sores, herpes and similar afflictions.

After taking that regularly I only got one cold sore last winter, and that's because I slacked off taking it for a bit. This really works and it's all natural. I'm so happy I finally found a solution I could do cartwheels...and no I'm not spamming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness