Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 10:09 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
I'm not backtracking. I believe/know it is safe. And it IS what I would do and have done
Speaking as someone who has actually TREATED patients with this condition, it isn't safe and it isn't logical.

If you would actually let your kids suffer for 5 days or more untreated and expose all their classmates and friends......I guess that is your right.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:22 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,229,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Speaking as someone who has actually TREATED patients with this condition, it isn't safe and it isn't logical.

If you would actually let your kids suffer for 5 days or more untreated and expose all their classmates and friends......I guess that is your right.

By the time you treat it, those around you have already been exposed. You are contagious BEFORE symptoms.

I also have delt with people/children with strep. I work with doctors who have been in the "business" for YEARS. But then again, you might know more than them, hey could be a possiblity. . . .

Old 10-06-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
By the time you treat it, those around you have already been exposed. You are contagious BEFORE symptoms.

I also have delt with people/children with strep. I work with doctors who have been in the "business" for YEARS. But then again, you might know more than them, hey could be a possiblity. . . .
Once again, left untreated those with Strep REMAIN contagious longer than those who are treated...

But hey I only actually treat patients, I don't just work with "doctors" who have been in the "business" for years(Osmosis is a wonderful thing).... Then again you MIGHT know more about this than me, hey could be a possibility

Old 10-06-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Once again, left untreated those with Strep REMAIN contagious longer than those who are treated...

But hey I only actually treat patients, I don't just work with "doctors" who have been in the "business" for years(Osmosis is a wonderful thing).... Then again you MIGHT know more about this than me, hey could be a possibility
I was trying to be nice oh well.

And yes, you are not God because you TREAT what shouldn't always be treated

This is getting old between you and your friend. Pretty boring if you ask me. . . . .

Old 10-06-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
I was trying to be nice oh well.

And yes, you are not God because you TREAT what shouldn't always be treated

This is getting old between you and your friend. Pretty boring if you ask me. . . . .
Never said I was God, just pointing out that I have more of a basis to comment on this than someone who has never treated a patient...

And for the final time, Strep should ALWAYS be treated, that is not my opinion that is based on hard evidence and supported by every major medical body.

"Strep throat is an infection caused by a particular strain of streptococcus bacteria. This
infection can also damage the heart valves (rheumatic fever) and kidneys (nephritis), cause scarlet
fever, tonsillitis, pneumonia, sinusitis, and ear infections. Because of these possible complications, a
strep throat should be treated with an antibiotic
"

http://www.davidwitsellmd.com/AAO%20...e%20Thoats.pdf

And with that I am done arguing a point that is beyond argument...

Old 10-06-2009, 03:21 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,311,148 times
OK, now I'm curious .. can strep throat clear up on it's own without antibiotics?

I used to get it when I was younger, and it's awful and always required antibiotics to clear it up.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone-ground View Post
OK, now I'm curious .. can strep throat clear up on it's own without antibiotics?

I used to get it when I was younger, and it's awful and always required antibiotics to clear it up.
Yes it can and has.

If left alone most cases WILL clear up on their own. You get over a cold right? You don't live with an infection for the rest of your life right?

There are risks. If I hadScarlet Fever symptoms (not strep) then I would get to a doctor for some antibiotics. Hasn't happened in my family. In fact my daughter's ped would also agree to wait a couple of days before taking an antibiotic.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Yes it can and has.

If left alone most cases WILL clear up on their own. You get over a cold right? You don't live with an infection for the rest of your life right?

There are risks. If I hadScarlet Fever symptoms (not strep) then I would get to a doctor for some antibiotics. Hasn't happened in my family. In fact my daughter's ped would also agree to wait a couple of days before taking an antibiotic.
I absolutely, positively guarantee that is FALSE.

If your daughter had a positive rapid Strep your pediatrician absolutely would NOT wait to start an antibiotic, if he or she did do that they would absolutely be guilty of not practicing to the community standard of care and would be liable for any complications...

Old 10-06-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:

If your daughter had a positive rapid Strep your pediatrician absolutely would NOT wait to start an antibiotic, if he or she did do that they would absolutely be guilty of not practicing to the community standard of care and would be liable for any complications...

Nope, not false. I've asked ahead of time about many things, this being one of them. He also would NOT tell his patients to medicate a fever

Old 10-06-2009, 06:49 PM

264 posts, read 819,607 times
Quote:

I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness