U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 08:01 PM

688 posts, read 1,825,282 times
Unhappy Have you ever had your appendix taken out?

My weekend was spent in the hospital getting my appendix taken out. I finally got home today. They told me I can't lift anything or do much for 2-3 weeks!
I have a 9 month old baby to take care of! We don't have anyone to help us and my hubby can't take off work because he is 2 men short. Has anyone dealt with this before? Is it really that imperitive that I do not pick up my baby and things like that for so long????
Any advice?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 09:17 PM

3,350 posts, read 10,057,078 times
The problem is that the muscles in your abdomen have been cut and weakened. These are the muscles you use to lift. It's important to let them heal. Today's surgery is much less invasive than it used to be, the instructions remain the same.
Ask the doctor or nurse for some Physical Therapy and get some lessons on how to lift the baby.
There are ways to lift and not put strain on the incision. The fear is it will tear open if strained too much.
I'm sure you can get help in learning how to lift and not be in danger.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:40 PM

149 posts, read 722,201 times
I was in the same situation when I had my appendix taken out. I over-did it and ended up back in the hospital. Be careful. Let your house go messy, and eat take-out, it's better than a set-back.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:37 AM

8,789 posts, read 14,909,246 times
I still have my appendix. Even though it's a useless thing. (so they say anyway until it ruptures )

Take it easy and follow doctors directions.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:10 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,486,208 times
I had my appendix out and I had no problem whatsoever. Mind you I didn't have kids at the time so I was able to take it easy. I felt great so I can see how it would be easy to overdo it because you feel ok (at least I did). At the time I worked at a nursing home in recreation so I was pushing wheelchairs to and from all the time and I was told not to push anything too too heavy for about a week.
And actually the appendix is not useless just like the tonsils. They help with immunity in some way. My husband has his tonsils out and he has a lot harder time with sicknesses than I do.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:35 AM

3,684 posts, read 8,320,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLu108 View Post
My weekend was spent in the hospital getting my appendix taken out. I finally got home today. They told me I can't lift anything or do much for 2-3 weeks!
I have a 9 month old baby to take care of! We don't have anyone to help us and my hubby can't take off work because he is 2 men short. Has anyone dealt with this before? Is it really that imperitive that I do not pick up my baby and things like that for so long????
Any advice?
Thanks!
I had a hysterectomy when my child was that old and I was in the same situation. I had to lift him after 5 days so I did. But I limited it to only really necessary lifting. I set up all his stuff and myself downstairs so I would have access to the kitchen and not have to carry him or myself up and down the stairs. Then I set out blankets on the floor and sat on the floor with him and napped with him there as well. By changing him, playing, feeding and napping on the floor I didn't have to lift him that much because I was allowing him to climb into my lap and move around with him. I was sore at the end of the day but I never pulled a stich or anything. Just be sure that when your husband comes home you let him take over and you go lay down. I hope you feel better soon and be careful not to lift unless it's absolutely necessary.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:13 AM

688 posts, read 1,825,282 times
Thank you to everyone! Very good advice! ShaneSA, I will be asking my doc about an alternative way to lift, that's good news! Again, thanks to all!

Old 06-26-2007, 12:11 AM

4,679 posts, read 7,691,126 times
To tag onto this thread, as I am going through similar situation...

Just a quick post to share experience that I've recently had, in the hopes that if you yourself or someone ya know has similar to not beat around the bush, and to get yourself to the ER or other medical establishment, asap.

Arrived in Williamsport, PA a week ago this past Friday night {June 15th} [~1:30 am Saturday actually (yawwwwn)], spent the weekend bopping about, getting lost in the hills and enjoying the beautiful scenery of NE and North Central PA - absolutely amazing. Had a job interview scheduled for Tuesday, so on Monday spent the time w/ a realtor who took me to the south of town, to get a feel for the area. Didn't eat any lunch, and as soon as returned to the hotel, grabbed some snacks and drinks, along w/ my maps and camera, and headed west and then south. Got abit out of town, and noticed that gut didn't feel quite right, but,,, me being the stubborn Missouri mule I am , paid little mind to it, thinking that just hunger pains, and pressed on. Looked at some nice scenery, took photos here and there, and then stopped to get some fuel for the rental.

Upon returning to the car, gut was having issues, went back inside, went to the restroom, and then back out a bit later. [at this point, will ignore the issue of finding a nail in the sidewall of the rear tire...] Drove a bit more, maybe 30-40 minutes, and then with the gut not doing any better, started treking back to the hotel. Stopped for some Pepto-Bismol, tried that,,, took a hot shower and then a bath. Laid down for a bit. Nothing seemed to relieve the pain. Called the insurance hotline, talked w/ a lady there, who highly recommended me going to the ER... gave me numbers, address. Drove over to closest one there, and well, many hours later, and after drinking nasty milk shake crud, getting a CAT scan, probed, etc., had laparoscope surgery to remove the swollen offending appendix. Had fun tho the next day, as walking down the hall in my hospital gown, w/ the back flap not all the way closed... gave a little show...

Anyhow, just very glad that this happened when and where it did - the day before [Sunday] I was out in severe boonies, as had explored and hiked the 'Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania' just west of Wellsboro, bopping over various rocks and fallen trees to take photos of the waterfalls, etc., and then upon driving back to Williamsport via PA144 and PA44, let me warn ya that make sure that you have all the provisions, esp. fuel, between Oleona and Waterville, as there is very little to no cell reception or any place to get anything. Just beautiful gorgeous scenery - and as the sun sets, deep dark woods... [and them thar woods are indeed filled w/ bears, and wild cats!].

So, lastly, make sure that don't take any pain in that area of your abdomen for granted - I never had the 'normal' pain in the lower right part, just the area surrounding the belly button. If it had ruptured [doc said a few more hours it could have...], then surgery and recovery and all is much longer, complicated, and serious. As it is now, I was able to escape the afternoon after my surgery from the hospital - nurse was even kind enuff to take me by the pharmacy and then to the hotel. I walked around quite a bit, anywhere from 6 to 15 blocks around the hotel - even walked up the 5 flights of stairs a few times. Doc is going to be so pleased w/ my progress... Rescheduled the interview for the following day [Thurs], and then the doc appointment on Fri [22nd] morning. My folks and wife drove to PA from MO, as I'm not allowed to fly nor drive [ha! we'll see about that! ], to take me back to IN.

I sit here in my house now, almost exactly one week after this surgery. My stomach muscles are still somewhat sore - can definitely feel aches and such if/when I do a bit too much... [like lifting the 40 lb bags of water softener salt... ] Yet, it is very true that do not desire to go to the point where a stitch will tear, or a muscle is damaged - then the recovery is longer. As it is, waiting another week before I get back on my bike is way too long... Regarding lifting, when I have done such, I've made absolutely sure that my legs and back muscles were doing the vast majority of the work - my arms and stomach where just along for the ride, if you will. Walking, IMHO, is a very excellent means to help speed recovery - keeps the blood flowing, helps your muscles retain their movement, and allows you to keep your spirits up, as not just sitting/laying about.

A couple good resources that found during this time:
Appendicitis
http://www.addenbrookes.org.uk/consent/forms/cfpi_132_gensurg_appendix.pdf (broken link)

Old 06-26-2007, 12:26 AM

1,074 posts, read 2,584,140 times
LuLu, you can see by the other posts that you are not alone here. I have had multiple surgeries and not one was at a convenient time. Most have been abdominal and most have ben full laporotomies with either a vertical or horizontal incision.
You want to lift as little as possible, you only have one chance to heal right. Please do your best not to lift, if you have to use your arms and legs only. Walk as much as is comfortable as this will help you heal faster than anything else. Also drink plenty of water.
You may want to see about getting a belly band, so you don't strain your belly or supportive undies.

MBG

Old 06-26-2007, 07:41 AM

6,957 posts, read 16,144,113 times
I have had several abdominal incisions, and you really don't don't want to risk straining the muscles in that area until they are well healed.

Put the baby on the floor, block off doors if you have to, feed him, change him and play with him on the floor. fix a spot where he can take his nap on the floor. When you get up, pull yourself up with your arms and use your leg muscles instead of your back and stomach muscles. The time will pass much quicker if you don't injure yourself.

Oh, and resist the temptation to let him bounce on your tummy. That won't do at all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness