Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 07:08 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,343,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Ann789 View Post
I use name brand shave gel and I am going to look into the tinier razor. I have sensitive skin so I should probably avoid Nair.

And for the folks who are curious, I shave my armpits because I have an outdoor job in SC and do not like deodorant. No hair = I don't stink
Those little noxema razors come in a three pack.

I would think that a person could still perspire whether or not they have hair somewhere or not.

It may stink too. Could be that your sweat does not have a bad odor to it.

Let's take for instance a teenaged boy, when they are going through puberty, their underarms stink. I do not care if they have deo on or not.

I shave so I have no hair there. I wear deo/anti p and if I am in a stressful situation and sweat, it is not a good thing. Otherwise it is not bad.

I suppose it is just a persons chemistry. I cannot imagine working outside in SC... Glad you can handle it. I melted one summer I was in Charleston!

have a great week!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 07:35 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,804,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I would think that a person could still perspire whether or not they have hair somewhere or not.
I don't wear antiperspirant because I believe it is harmful to the body. It is essentially plugging up your body's natural ability to sweat. As for deodorant thats fine, its just masking the odor your body will naturally give off.

You will still sweat if you shave the hair but it won't just saturate and then stagnate. It will fall off the body or go into clothing instead. I don't actually sweat a lot from my arm pits but it just helps keeping the area clean and with everything else I mentioned. As someone who has tried working out with full hair there, and with hardly any, it is much easier to keep clean and odor free when there is little hair there. I often smell other guys in the gym who STINK to high hell! I can't help but wonder what they are doing wrong but its disgusting. Call me a sanitary nazi if you will but I don't stink before, during, or after working out.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:42 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,722,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
I don't wear antiperspirant because I believe it is harmful to the body. It is essentially plugging up your body's natural ability to sweat. As for deodorant thats fine, its just masking the odor your body will naturally give off.

You will still sweat if you shave the hair but it won't just saturate and then stagnate. It will fall off the body or go into clothing instead. I don't actually sweat a lot from my arm pits but it just helps keeping the area clean and with everything else I mentioned. As someone who has tried working out with full hair there, and with hardly any, it is much easier to keep clean and odor free when there is little hair there. I often smell other guys in the gym who STINK to high hell! I can't help but wonder what they are doing wrong but its disgusting. Call me a sanitary nazi if you will but I don't stink before, during, or after working out.
That is wise ... antiperspirant is not a good idea, especially for women.
That there is a debate about and even the slightest chance that there is a link between antiperspirant and breast cancer should, imo, give women pause and they may want to decide which is more important ... dealing with a bit of underarm sweat or dealing with breast cancer.
Deodorant is fine.
And sweating is very, very healthy.
Detoxification happens in a big way via the skin and sweating.
Blocking this is just plain stupid and once again, the general aversion to the nature of the body and it's natural functions is problematic.
Also, a healthy diet and a healthy "clean" system does not produce bad odor ... just the natural and healthy odor of the body ... that to me, if the man is healthy and the chemistry is right, ie; compatible, is a turn on ... and much preferable to chemical laden deodorant and / or cologne.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:17 AM

1,036 posts, read 1,820,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
It's subjective.
As I watched "Love And Death" by Woody Allen the other day I could not resist quoting this cute dialog

-Immorality is subjective.
-Yes, but subjectivity is objective.
-Not in a rational scheme of perception.
-Perception is irrational. It implies imminence.
-But judgment of any system of phenomena exists in any rational, metaphysical or epistemological contradiction to an abstracted empirical concept such as being, or to be, or to occur in the thing itself, or of the thing itself.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:58 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,722,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashM View Post
As I watched "Love And Death" by Woody Allen the other day I could not resist quoting this cute dialog

-Immorality is subjective.
-Yes, but subjectivity is objective.
-Not in a rational scheme of perception.
-Perception is irrational. It implies imminence.
-But judgment of any system of phenomena exists in any rational, metaphysical or epistemological contradiction to an abstracted empirical concept such as being, or to be, or to occur in the thing itself, or of the thing itself.

That's a Woody Allen moved i haven't seen.
Will do though.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:10 AM

1,036 posts, read 1,820,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
That's a Woody Allen moved i haven't seen.
Will do though.
This movie is a total masterpiece all the way thru. One of the best comedies I've ever seen.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:57 AM

672 posts, read 2,112,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Like Flamingo said and if you never had to do it I guess you are on a learning curve I think we sort of stretch a bit and the "pit" pops out a bit. I am thinking you should experiment a bit before the actual shaving starts. I have never cut my underarm and I do them almost every single day I also suggest something like a Schick Quatro and shave gel not cream
I have perfected my technique .

While standing in the shower, I put my hand to my shoulder, leaving my elbow at a 10 o'clock position. I put my elbow on my tub surround and walk forward just a bit and VOILA! The armpit becomes flat and super easy to shave with no nicks

I use a regular disposable razor with shave foam - that combo works the best for me.

Thanks everyone for your tips and the diatribes of hair/no hair etc. I enjoyed reading all of it.

Last edited by Mary Ann789; 06-03-2010 at 05:00 AM.. Reason: added more information

Old 06-03-2010, 08:23 AM

450 posts, read 5,020,766 times
I have very sensitive leg skin and so shaving my legs has always been troublesome--i.e. lots of nicks, but I never cut myself shaving my armpits.

I shave the area very lightly for one thing, and secondly, I make it easier to shave by not putting my arm over my head. Instead, I only raise my arm halfway up, because doing so makes the area flatter. Then I shave looking in the mirror (can't do it without the mirror). I only use regular soap lathered really well--never regular shaving creams. Works great and I have never had a nick. I also only use my husbands razors to shave. I think he uses a Mach 3. I've never used women's razors much, I find they don't work well for me, and that I get a closer shave with a men's razor.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:10 AM

23,859 posts, read 33,518,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass101 View Post
I think he uses a Mach 3. I've never used women's razors much, I find they don't work well for me, and that I get a closer shave with a men's razor.
This is my advice too.. a men's razor.
I also use the Mach 3. I don't like a head that is too big/bulky.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:14 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,680,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Ann789 View Post
I have perfected my technique .

While standing in the shower, I put my hand to my shoulder, leaving my elbow at a 10 o'clock position.
This is what I do too, but my elbow is up around 11 o'clock. I didn't know other women had really sunken pits. Shaving them would be ... well, the pits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness