U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Unread 10-20-2009, 09:42 PM

3 posts, read 2,074 times
I am currently recovering from the swine flu myself and work in a doctor's office. We've seen at least 50 cases since April if not more. It's fairly mild compared to the regular flu actually. Thankfully in my case, but even the cases we've seen in the office have been mild as well and we've seen a lot of children. I've heard that children in the southern part of the united states have gotten a much more severe case of it. Most people are not getting vaccinated that I know, because they are healthy individuals who can recover from the swine flu just as they would the regular flu. And until the vaccine is around long enough, I would lean toward not vaccinating. Especially after the swine flu vaccine scare in the 1970s that gave 70 children guillan barre syndrome which paralyzes you.

Unread 10-20-2009, 10:01 PM

371 posts, read 645,787 times
I don't have any of the web sites marked so you will have to do your own research, but I actually saw some studies done that showed if you get the seasonal flu shot- it makes you twice as likely to come down with the swine flu. I work in an ER and they have hit us hard with the vaccine, most people are getting it and no one has had any major side effects. I worry about the kids and pregnant women with side effects, though. Anyway, I opted out. I decided to try something called MucoCoccinum, a homeopathic immune system booster. I have thought really hard about this. It scares me because I see so many people every day who are sick and some who are intubated and admitted to ICU. But if the virus mutates, the shot won't do any good. I decided to try and just keep my immune system healthy enough that I will hopefully be okay if I do get it. I also have ordered some Elderberry syrup which has been shown in studies to decrease flu symptoms by a couple of days. Everyone has to make their own decision, I just wanted to make sure that the decision I made was one I could feel good about.

Unread 10-20-2009, 10:28 PM

1,867 posts, read 3,712,645 times
But isnt the regular Flu vaccine different every year also? If so, then the regular Flu shot should be just as risky as the Swine Flu vaccine right? Its not like they give us the same Regular Flu shot every year is it? They must guess which Flu is coming and rush to make the vaccine for that flu, leaving little time for long term studies! No?

Unread 10-21-2009, 05:38 AM

7,081 posts, read 22,452,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganAK View Post
I don't have any of the web sites marked so you will have to do your own research, but I actually saw some studies done that showed if you get the seasonal flu shot- it makes you twice as likely to come down with the swine flu. .
No, this is incorrect. In fact, it's just the opposite. See this paper from the British Medical Journal:
Partial protection of seasonal trivalent inactivated vaccine against novel pandemic influenza A/H1N1 2009: case-control study in Mexico City -- Garcia-Garcia et al. 339: b3928 -- BMJ

Last edited by Viralmd; 10-21-2009 at 05:56 AM..

Unread 10-21-2009, 07:46 AM

4,248 posts, read 6,074,837 times
I have a question. If this thing mutates and turns more virulent, will those who got the mild strain be protected from a more virulent strain? I was thinking about this last night and anyone know?

Unread 10-21-2009, 08:34 AM

371 posts, read 645,787 times
Just depends on what you read- that is why we all have to decide for ourselves.

Evidence emerges that seasonal flu vaccine increases risk of H1N1 swine flu by Mike Adams the Health Ranger (http://www.naturalnews.com/027102_vaccines_H1N1_flu_shot.html - broken link)

This web site states:
"CBC News in Canada is now reporting disturbing findings you need to know about: "Four Canadian studies involved about 2,000 people, health officials told CBC News. Researchers found people who had received the seasonal flu vaccine in the past were more likely to get sick with the H1N1 virus."

Unread 10-21-2009, 09:36 AM

2,192 posts, read 2,397,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
I have a question. If this thing mutates and turns more virulent, will those who got the mild strain be protected from a more virulent strain? I was thinking about this last night and anyone know?
Thats just it, when a virus mutates it can attack people who were previously immune or change its symptoms and what it is immune to. There are already strains of H1N1 showing up with immunity to Tamiflu. Thats because the flu itself is changing from person to person and finding ways to improve itself. Think of it as evolution, if you will.

Now here's the deal with the vaccine, or at least the way its intended to work. They take a guess at a certain strain and then make the vaccine out of that. If you run into a strain that is different, you're most likely going to get it anyhow as that vaccine offers no protection, in theory. Right now, from what I've read on the CDC and WHO websites, there are already two strains present in America alone. That means that vaccine they are shipping out can not possibly protect against both. I have doubts it does much of anything but mess your body up, but thats my opinion.

And to answer your original question, nobody knows. This is a new form of flu and as such there is still much studying that needs to be done. If I had to guess I would say you would have some immunity built up if you already had one version of it.

Unread 10-21-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganAK View Post
Just depends on what you read- that is why we all have to decide for ourselves.

Evidence emerges that seasonal flu vaccine increases risk of H1N1 swine flu by Mike Adams the Health Ranger (http://www.naturalnews.com/027102_vaccines_H1N1_flu_shot.html - broken link)

This web site states:
"CBC News in Canada is now reporting disturbing findings you need to know about: "Four Canadian studies involved about 2,000 people, health officials told CBC News. Researchers found people who had received the seasonal flu vaccine in the past were more likely to get sick with the H1N1 virus."
This was an initial study later proven to be not true. See post #24 above.

Unread 10-21-2009, 10:03 AM

2,081 posts, read 2,415,382 times
As a mother of older children and teens, I am very concerned about the H1N1 virus and if available to us, we would all get the vaccine. However, I have 1 high risk child and he in on a waiting list at the peds office.

H1N1 is not what otherwise healthy children are dying of, it's the coinfection of pneumonia that this virus causes that is so deadly. And it's a crapshoot who develops pneumonia and who doesn't.

Unread 10-21-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
As a mother of older children and teens, I am very concerned about the H1N1 virus and if available to us, we would all get the vaccine. However, I have 1 high risk child and he in on a waiting list at the peds office.

H1N1 is not what otherwise healthy children are dying of, it's the coinfection of pneumonia that this virus causes that is so deadly. And it's a crapshoot who develops pneumonia and who doesn't.
I got a pneumonia shot. What about that for your family?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness