U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2009, 10:23 AM

354 posts, read 730,142 times

Advertisements

What impact does stress have on your heart and your risk of developing heart disease? How important is it to keep your stress level low after heart surgery? Have you or someone you know had any direct experiences with stress and heart disease?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 09:55 PM

746 posts, read 3,118,056 times
I am sure there are lots of articles on this you can find with a search engine, but i will give you my personal take. Yes, stress - especially anger - can have a big impact on my heart. As my arteries narrowed over the decades, I began to have the early signs of coronary artery disease (CAD) which I have now lived with for almost two decades.

There is no doubt that when I used to allow myself to get stressed out, or become really worked up and angry, I would feel it in my chest through angina. If I had a blowout I would feel as if I had just been in an auto crash for a day or two afterwards.

So in addition to a belated change in diet, I had to change my emotional response to things. This involved a lot including a change of attitude on the job, and learning how to be more, um, peaceful with myself and others.

It took a while, but everytime I fell back into old habits I was punished by being made to feel poorly physically. So that negative reinforcement kept me focused on being calmer, even serene.

Funny thing is, I can write pretty strongly, yet not get emotionally invested in the words. I still express myself fully, without getting stressed out over it.

Mainly, I do not disagree with people directly, and do not have to win every argument. Above all, I no longer try to tell other people how they should live. I am too busy improving myself to do that. And if there is one thing I know, it is how difficult it is for us human beings to change.

Heck, if I can't easily change myself, how can I expect a few words to someone else to have any effect.

One of the biggest helps I had in the process of changing is utiliziing one of the famous 12-step programs, you know the ones with the slogans like Live and Let Live, First Things First and that famous Serenity Prayer. Believe it or not, corny as they are, they helped a lot.

Still living with CAD and functioning, just passed the 70 mark.

I'm a happy puppy. And surprised!

Old 10-29-2009, 10:04 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,113,623 times
The real problem is that as doctors have said anger is not reallty the stress that kills.Stress is what keeps you awake at night even when your tried.If you have trouble getting something off you mind then that is stress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness