U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2007, 06:41 PM

420 posts, read 965,688 times

Advertisements

My dad passed several years ago at age 88, many of his last years not being able to get up off the floor or the ground if he fell. My mom is 87, and has used a walker for the last 20 years. She moves the walker ahead with her arms, drags her legs up, and repeats. She is not able to walk on her own, and not able to get up off the floor on her own if she falls. One of my closest friends is 70, and has been having some age and mobility challenges the last few years. For a short time at the end of last summer, she had some problems getting up off the floor. Fortunately that was only for a short time as she's been doing more exercise and is again doing well on her own.

As a result of the circumstances with my parents, my friend and others, I wish to post about exercises people can do to maintain and regain their mobility. I am going on 61, like to exercise and have added the exercises to my own routines as well. Basically to keep your mobility, you need to keep practicing and keep using what you have. Wherever you are, here is where you can start and keep going. The beginning is to start with a mat on the floor, a chair, a counter, a bed, or whatever you have. Here are a few of the exercises that can help you to regain and maintain your mobility.

1) Chair "get ups"
Sit in a chair that is low enough to the floor that you can stand up from it. If the chair is too low then find one a bit higher. As you get stronger than move back to a chair that is lower. Place your arms across your chest, lean forward slightly and stand up. Focus on doing this gradually, using all the muscles in your hips and legs as you stand. Aim to do this by using the strength in your legs, hips, and back, rather than standing up by momentum. Sit back down in the same manner. Repeat until you have completed 10 or 20 repetitions or begin to feel tired. You can do these several times in a day, or do them once and keep increasing the number of repetitions that you do. As you master this exercise than move on to another one, and meanwhile keep doing these.

2) "Get out of beds"
From the laying position, turn and sit on the side of the bed. Notice where you are placing your hands, and where you are moving your legs, as you do this. Sit on the side of the bed, then lay back down as you were. Repeat. Then repeat this a number of times so you get used to the exercise and get stronger.

3) Stand up from the bed
Repeat these in the same manner as the others.

4) Turn over on the floor
Lay a mat or rug in the middle of the floor and lay down on your back. Now turn over so you are on your hands and knees facing down. Make sure you are in a good position as you do this. Take your time. There is no rush. It is better to do these exercises properly, and taking your time. Now slowly turn back over to the beginning position on your back. Notice where you are placing your hands and your feet as you do this. This is key, as you can place your hands and feet in the same positions each time. Now repeat. Move to your hands and needs again, then again on your back. Pause, and repeat this again.

5) Move up from your knees
From being on your hands and knees, move your body up so you are placed on your hands and your feet. Hold this position briefly, then move back to your hands and knees. Pause, then repeat several times.

6) Stand up
Move from your hands and feet position to standing. Pause, then move again to your hands and feet on the floor. Go to hands and knees, pause, hands and feet, standing. Pause and repeat. Then go through the whole sequence again from the start.

7) Arch your back
Lay on your stomach on the rug with your hands to your sides. Arch your back and lift your shoulders off the floor and head up. Lift your back as high as you can, hold this, then back to the floor.

8) Lift your legs
Lay on your back and lift your legs up as high as you can. If you can lift them all the way up in a V this is good. Reach out with your hands and see how close you can come to touching your toes. If you need to bend your legs to do this then go ahead and bend them. Do them both ways. Hold your legs in this position for as long as is comfortable, then let them go back to the floor.

9) Standing vs sitting
When you are standing you are holding all your weight with your legs, feet, back, and all of your body. When you are sitting, then all of your weight's on your butt. Have you ever had someone tell you to "sit down"? Doing so can be harmful to your health. A good exercise is to stand while watching tv. Many people sit while watching tv but it is better to stand. You can work into this by standing during commercials. Better yet, go into another room and do something else. When you come back, stand there for awhile before you sit down. If you sit down, then stand up again in a few minutes and get used to doing this. The more you stand and walk around vs sitting, the better this will be for your health and mobility.

10) Push ups
Okay these aren't the regular pushups where the body is stiff. Lay on a mat on your tummy in the pushup position. Push up with your hands while your body is still on the floor, then arch the rest of your body up on your knees then your foot. Most people should be able to do this. If not, then work up to this exercise by consistently doing the other ones. You can repeat this exercise over and over, and the same with the others. Keep doing the exercises for 5 to 15 minutes, mixing them up any ways that you wish. If you can do them twice a day that is great. The more you can do of these exercises the better.

I personally do floor exercises for 10 minutes continuously every morning to warm up for other exercises that I do like cycling, running, and rowing. My friend does them too on her own. Another friend told me about her mother who is very active at age 95. I asked what does she do to keep active? My friend said she does 15 minutes of exercises on the floor every morning and evening. She said that her mom keeps moving her arms and legs around continuously the whole time.

Perhaps you will find some other exercises that you like. Walking is excellent. I consider gardening to be one of the very best forms of exercise, as you are working your body in all different positions. A stationary recumbent cycle and an elliptical are good. A rowing machine is excellent too. First do the mobility exercises, then add on any other exercises that you wish.

There is no secret to keeping your mobility. Keep using what you have, and practicing to do the things that you wish. As long as you keep doing these things, then they will help you to keep your mobility, to keep your independence, and keep enjoying your life. All the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 11:34 AM

11,141 posts, read 2,147,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlvs2run View Post
My dad passed several years ago at age 88, many of his last years not being able to get up off the floor or the ground if he fell. My mom is 87, and has used a walker for the last 20 years. She moves the walker ahead with her arms, drags her legs up, and repeats. She is not able to walk on her own, and not able to get up off the floor on her own if she falls. One of my closest friends is 70, and has been having some age and mobility challenges the last few years. For a short time at the end of last summer, she had some problems getting up off the floor. Fortunately that was only for a short time as she's been doing more exercise and is again doing well on her own.

As a result of the circumstances with my parents, my friend and others, I wish to post about exercises people can do to maintain and regain their mobility. I am going on 61, like to exercise and have added the exercises to my own routines as well. Basically to keep your mobility, you need to keep practicing and keep using what you have. Wherever you are, here is where you can start and keep going. The beginning is to start with a mat on the floor, a chair, a counter, a bed, or whatever you have. Here are a few of the exercises that can help you to regain and maintain your mobility.

1) Chair "get ups"
Sit in a chair that is low enough to the floor that you can stand up from it. If the chair is too low then find one a bit higher. As you get stronger than move back to a chair that is lower. Place your arms across your chest, lean forward slightly and stand up. Focus on doing this gradually, using all the muscles in your hips and legs as you stand. Aim to do this by using the strength in your legs, hips, and back, rather than standing up by momentum. Sit back down in the same manner. Repeat until you have completed 10 or 20 repetitions or begin to feel tired. You can do these several times in a day, or do them once and keep increasing the number of repetitions that you do. As you master this exercise than move on to another one, and meanwhile keep doing these.

2) "Get out of beds"
From the laying position, turn and sit on the side of the bed. Notice where you are placing your hands, and where you are moving your legs, as you do this. Sit on the side of the bed, then lay back down as you were. Repeat. Then repeat this a number of times so you get used to the exercise and get stronger.

3) Stand up from the bed
Repeat these in the same manner as the others.

4) Turn over on the floor
Lay a mat or rug in the middle of the floor and lay down on your back. Now turn over so you are on your hands and knees facing down. Make sure you are in a good position as you do this. Take your time. There is no rush. It is better to do these exercises properly, and taking your time. Now slowly turn back over to the beginning position on your back. Notice where you are placing your hands and your feet as you do this. This is key, as you can place your hands and feet in the same positions each time. Now repeat. Move to your hands and needs again, then again on your back. Pause, and repeat this again.

5) Move up from your knees
From being on your hands and knees, move your body up so you are placed on your hands and your feet. Hold this position briefly, then move back to your hands and knees. Pause, then repeat several times.

6) Stand up
Move from your hands and feet position to standing. Pause, then move again to your hands and feet on the floor. Go to hands and knees, pause, hands and feet, standing. Pause and repeat. Then go through the whole sequence again from the start.

7) Arch your back
Lay on your stomach on the rug with your hands to your sides. Arch your back and lift your shoulders off the floor and head up. Lift your back as high as you can, hold this, then back to the floor.

8) Lift your legs
Lay on your back and lift your legs up as high as you can. If you can lift them all the way up in a V this is good. Reach out with your hands and see how close you can come to touching your toes. If you need to bend your legs to do this then go ahead and bend them. Do them both ways. Hold your legs in this position for as long as is comfortable, then let them go back to the floor.

9) Standing vs sitting
When you are standing you are holding all your weight with your legs, feet, back, and all of your body. When you are sitting, then all of your weight's on your butt. Have you ever had someone tell you to "sit down"? Doing so can be harmful to your health. A good exercise is to stand while watching tv. Many people sit while watching tv but it is better to stand. You can work into this by standing during commercials. Better yet, go into another room and do something else. When you come back, stand there for awhile before you sit down. If you sit down, then stand up again in a few minutes and get used to doing this. The more you stand and walk around vs sitting, the better this will be for your health and mobility.

10) Push ups
Okay these aren't the regular pushups where the body is stiff. Lay on a mat on your tummy in the pushup position. Push up with your hands while your body is still on the floor, then arch the rest of your body up on your knees then your foot. Most people should be able to do this. If not, then work up to this exercise by consistently doing the other ones. You can repeat this exercise over and over, and the same with the others. Keep doing the exercises for 5 to 15 minutes, mixing them up any ways that you wish. If you can do them twice a day that is great. The more you can do of these exercises the better.

I personally do floor exercises for 10 minutes continuously every morning to warm up for other exercises that I do like cycling, running, and rowing. My friend does them too on her own. Another friend told me about her mother who is very active at age 95. I asked what does she do to keep active? My friend said she does 15 minutes of exercises on the floor every morning and evening. She said that her mom keeps moving her arms and legs around continuously the whole time.

Perhaps you will find some other exercises that you like. Walking is excellent. I consider gardening to be one of the very best forms of exercise, as you are working your body in all different positions. A stationary recumbent cycle and an elliptical are good. A rowing machine is excellent too. First do the mobility exercises, then add on any other exercises that you wish.

There is no secret to keeping your mobility. Keep using what you have, and practicing to do the things that you wish. As long as you keep doing these things, then they will help you to keep your mobility, to keep your independence, and keep enjoying your life. All the best.

Good for all....

Old 04-15-2018, 12:39 PM

1,347 posts, read 534,276 times
I try to remember to do my back exercises every day, to prevent back problems. My neighbor is 89, the FAST squad and ambulance was just here, pretty sure it was yet another fall as they left without him. He can't get himself up and his caretaker can't either. I never want to be in that situation. I am 61 now.

Old 04-15-2018, 01:33 PM

2,903 posts, read 1,040,394 times
My 86 YO father refused to take these sorts of steps for himself. He lived alone and was independent for most of those years, but his condo became more and more of a hazard. His vision was poor, he started tripping over stuff and falling, but couldn't get up. He would lie on the floor and yell for a neighbor. He refused to wear a emergency response button. They would have had to break a window or unhinge the door to get in as he kept everything locked 24/7 and never answered a knock. Stacks of newspaper and magazines on the floor, phone cords snaked across rooms, unused dust-covered clutter piles, non-functional furniture he didn't use but wouldn't get rid of including a broken down bed he couldn't get off of, a deep shower/bath with no grab bars that he preferred to use instead of the walk-in shower in the other bathroom, etc. He was hospitalized several times and spent time in skilled nursing/rehabs to get back strength, get sent home with PT visits, but never followed up on the exercises given. Then he'd fall, end up in the hospital for dehydration or head injuries, lose more ground, spend time in skilled nursing/rehab, go home with PT visits, refuse to do the exercises, over and over again. Finally his kids confronted him with either accepting home help along with basic alterations like the grab bars, cleaning, clutter removal, cordless phones, a safer bed/mattress, or a move to assisted living. He refused to accept any of it until his PCP stepped in with a directive for supportive care. So in the end he lost the very independence he insisted on having.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:40 AM

4,543 posts, read 5,621,559 times
As we age the best thing to work on is balance, which takes good core strength. Planks are great for that. Balancing on a bosu ball, or teetering tools. Its the best way to prevent a broken hip, or other very debilitating breaks.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:36 AM
Status: "TRUMP 4 THE WIN......Trump onto Mt Rushmore, NOW!" (set 2 days ago)

14,393 posts, read 14,516,851 times
Lose all excess weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness