Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2009, 10:11 PM

46 posts, read 108,943 times

Advertisements

I plan to go into Planned Parenthood tomorrow and discuss the Paraguard IUD with one of the nurse practitioners; but wanted to see if I could get any insight from anyone that has used it.

I'm presently on Depo, have been for almost three years and recently decided I hate it. I'm experience some side effects I do not like (no sex drive, weight gain, my personality has changed quite drastically, carpel tunnel has gotten much much worse)

I'm interested in the Paraguard IUD due to the longevity of it. I don't want children, ever, but have been deemed "too young" to be sterilized (nor can I afford it at the moment).

I can't take most birth controls due to Factor V Leiden running in my family. From talking to the nurse practitionar the last time I was at PP, my only options at this point are the Mirena IUD, Paraguard IUD and Implanon. She does not feel that staying on the Depo due to the carpel tunnel getting worse would be a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 10:14 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,723,383 times
Geez, doesn't anyone use a diaphragm anymore?
It's safe ... doesn't mess with your hormones which, imo, is not a wise thing to do despite the party line.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:22 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,901,258 times
I use the mirena and I wish I had gone with the paragard. I have had some mood swings that feel eerily similar to when I tried Depo and also when I was pregnant. The paragard, as you know, is copper based and hormone free.

They swear the hormones in the mirena are only localized but I am not 100% convinced.

Anyway, the con of the paragard over the mirena is that your periods might get heavier. The hormones in the mirena make for very light or nonexistent periods.

The paragard is about as effective as the mirena (I think there is a slight disadvantage but still really high effective rate) and much lower risk of bc failure than a barrier method like a diaphragm (which I am sure some people love to use but I would hate to use one).

Old 10-30-2009, 12:29 PM

I don't really relish the idea of spending the next 20 or so years (however long it takes for a doctor to decide I do, in fact, know my own damn mind) using a barrier method. I've done it before, worried the entire time about it failing and would prefer not to go there again.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:43 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,714,260 times
I have used the Paragard IUD. I loved it. Used it for 4 years between baby #2 and #3. I would recommend it to anyone.

No method is 100% but this one is close. And you can have it removed at any time incase you ever do change your mind.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by definingsilence View Post
I don't really relish the idea of spending the next 20 or so years (however long it takes for a doctor to decide I do, in fact, know my own damn mind) using a barrier method. I've done it before, worried the entire time about it failing and would prefer not to go there again.
understandable ... it's just that hormonal health and balance is rather important to your health now and on into the future.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:47 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,901,258 times
Which is what is good about the Paragard - no hormones.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
Precisely.

I'm currently on hormonal birth control, it's screwing with me and I'm done.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
How does it work?
I answered my own question.
Interesting.
Hmmmmm.

Paragard

I'll stay with my diaphragm.
But that was educational ... i was misinformed.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:51 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,139,890 times
I've used a Copper T IUD for many years with no problems and/or failures. It's really convenient. Once it's inserted you forget about it for years. Only during the last few years of the last one my periods became really long and heavy. I'm guessing it was due the prolonged use of IUD because after having it removed things went back to normal... even way shorter than normal now for some reason... I wouldn't touch Mirena myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness