Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 10:55 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,725,069 times

Advertisements

I had a H.P. a couple yrs after hip replacement when everything started to go downhill for me. My start was filling out form at MD's office and then going to AAA with paperwork and they gave me one right there...the 2nd placard came automatically 2 yrs later thru the mail from DMV.

I had to stop driving last year and sold my car and no longer drive, so I'm out of their system.

Does that mean placard would stop? It has stopped coming to me.

My daughter takes me where I have to go and so do some friends and they have NO placard for this to help me.

Can one still get their placard and not drive or own a vehicle?

Hope this is right spot for this question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 11:10 AM

24,445 posts, read 25,974,673 times
^^ I'm gonna say yes. My MIL had Hip replacement surgery 7 years ago, quit driving and gets a new placard just before the old one expires. We use it when we take her places.

From CA DMV.

Permanent DP Placard Renewal
You do not need to renew your permanent placard. DMV will automatically mail your new placard and identification card to the address shown on DMV records. If your address has changed, you must file a change of address with DMV to ensure the placard will be mailed to your most recent address.

To file a Change of Address (DMV 14) form, you may:

Download the form at dmv.ca.gov, complete it, and mail it to the address on the form or
Call 1-800-777-0133 to have the form mailed to you.
DMV’s online service for filing the DMV 14 is not available for placards.

Once issued, a permanent DP Parking Placard does not require recertification by your licensed medical professional.

Old 03-27-2019, 11:13 AM

MM: So you are saying I should still be getting mine automatically?

Well, I just called 800# and 36 min wait..so left my number...

Last edited by jaminhealth; 03-27-2019 at 11:30 AM..

Old 03-27-2019, 12:03 PM

4,699 posts, read 3,277,042 times
I have a friend who has MS, I often drive when we go out. We use her handicap place card without any issues. My understanding is as long as the handicapped person is in the vehicle when you park the place card is valid.

My Mother in-Law also had a handicap place card. If memory serves me right she would get a letter before the expiration date and we would have to have some simple paperwork to be filled out by her doctor and a replacement would be issued.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:18 PM

Well, I just got a call back from DMV and due to massive fraud use of these cards they want to make sure the person is still alive and living in CA. She took my info and said a card should be coming to me by April 6.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:29 PM

24,445 posts, read 25,974,673 times
Sounds like you’re good to go.

Old 03-27-2019, 08:12 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,497,553 times
Here in Ohio, my mom had a card for many years as she was legally blind and was unable to drive, this no license. She kept her card in her purse so she had it no matter who her driver was for the day. I currently have a temporary (6 month) card as I broke my foot and then developed blood clots in my leg. When I got it at the BMV here in Ohio, they told me that the card is issued to the person, not to the vehicle, and can thus be transferred around to whatever vehicle the person happens to be in.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:53 AM

7,234 posts, read 5,110,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

Can one still get their placard and not drive or own a vehicle?

Could be that when you gave up your auto reg, then they stopped sending the placards too,? In IL the placard is issued for the car of the ride- provider in such cases, but just carry it from car to car as needed. Who's gunna know?

This topic always reminds me of a situation about 25 yrs ago: it seems the Chicago Bears were playing a home game, their guy intercepted a pass, made a nice run-back of 30 yds or so and got run out of bounds. His momentum carried him right up to a row of fans in wheel chairs on the field level in a special seating area. The player made the magnanimous gesture of giving the game ball to one of the fans.

Monday morning, it was announced that he was fined by the team and charged for the ball. It was a hot topic of discussion in all the papers for a few days....Well, come next Sunday, the same player again intercepted a pass, ran it back a little, then went obviously out of his way to approach that seating area again, and again gave the ball to another fan in a wheelchair.

I was watching the game in a bar and one grumpy old man throws his hands up in disgust and yells "The goof did it AGAIN!."...Other patrons jumped on the grouch quickly--"Fer Chrissake! Give 'em a break! They're CRIPPLES!"...The Grouch comes back "Well what the h*ll else do they want? They already get all the good parking spots!"

Old 03-28-2019, 10:06 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,955,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Well, I just got a call back from DMV and due to massive fraud use of these cards they want to make sure the person is still alive and living in CA. She took my info and said a card should be coming to me by April 6.
GOOD! Yes, I was going to say that whether the disabled person drives or not, which is YOU in this case, you should still have a placard because you still have to enter & exit the car of the other person driving you around, so you have to be as close to the place you're going to as possible. As long as YOU are being driven around, the other driver can use the placard.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:27 AM

23,859 posts, read 33,518,785 times
There was a large handicap tag thread in the retirement section a few months ago. They were saying that the tag goes with the car and if you do not drive that the person bringing you to the store can drop you off in the front of the store and pick you back up when you get out. I've never heard of doing it like that and have wondered if that's true or not. Hopefully DMV will give you an answer after you send them forms from your doctor saying you're still disabled. NJ is not automatic. It's only good 2 years then I have to do the doctor form.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness