U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 11:31 AM

14,794 posts, read 17,229,096 times
Default Unexplainable Sudden Craving for Sweets

I am no sweet eater. Usually, when everybody else is having dessert, I will pass because I really do not care for sweets at all.

The past week it seems that I simply cannot get enough sweets. I have been eating candy bars (unheard of), and anything else sweet that I can get my hands on. I even had a Hershey bar for breakfast today. (I never, ever EVER eat sweets for breakfast). This is just so NOT ME.

I can't understand why I have this sudden craving for sweet stuff. What can this mean? Lately I have been eating A LOT more fresh veggies and fruit and taking supplements to keep my immune system strong in the face of all this flu that is going around. Could this be making me crave sweets?

I am so confused by this because it is so unusual for me. Any ideas out there?

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 12:00 PM

374 posts, read 664,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I am no sweet eater. Usually, when everybody else is having dessert, I will pass because I really do not care for sweets at all.

The past week it seems that I simply cannot get enough sweets. I have been eating candy bars (unheard of), and anything else sweet that I can get my hands on. I even had a Hershey bar for breakfast today. (I never, ever EVER eat sweets for breakfast). This is just so NOT ME.

I can't understand why I have this sudden craving for sweet stuff. What can this mean? Lately I have been eating A LOT more fresh veggies and fruit and taking supplements to keep my immune system strong in the face of all this flu that is going around. Could this be making me crave sweets?

20yrsinBranson
I would have a test for sugar level possible hypoglycemia or diabetes or maybe you are very tired.
I tend to crave sweets with not enough sleep.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:02 PM

2,895 posts, read 7,875,559 times
Quote:

20yrsinBranson
If you're eating A LOT more fruit, while that's good, you're also eating a lot more sugar even though it's coming from a good source, ie; fruit.
I'd see what happens if you cut way back on your fruit intake (this will not decrease your ability to avoid the flu, btw) and avoid eating candy and other sugars, keep eating vegetables and other good foods and get your carbohydrates from whole grain rice, quinoa, and other whole grains.
To maintain a steady energy level, it's ideal, imo, to eat meals that are fairly balanced in carb, protein and good fats.
In Chinese medicine, a constant craving for sweets indicates an imbalance/weakening of the spleen / pancreas.
(i'm speaking on a more subtle level here and not suggesting you run to the m.d. and talk with him about your spleen nor is it time imo, as another poster suggested, to run to the m.d. and get blood tested for hypoglycemia / diabetes!)
I believe that the high sugar intake from the fruit as well as the damp cool of the fruit would be impacting the spleen/pancreas.
Also, in the winter, it's a time for warming foods ... bone broths, soups, stews as opposed to raw vegetables, salads, etc.
I'm not qualified to speak about this in detail but i'd nip this sugar intake in the bud and focus on eating foods that are strengthening, warming, dense, harty, good fats, etc. and ease way back on the fruit.
Despite your intense cravings, giving into it is really something you want to avoid and high sugar intake does not support strong immunity ... not at all.
Also, i don't know how you're supplementing and with what kind of products but you could be overdoing it or doing it with insufficient awareness in a way that, if not directly causing sugar cravings, is causing some kind of imbalance(s) that is manifesting in these sugar cravings.
There are people who can eat a tremendous amount of fruit and there are people who can do well on an all raw diet and not experience imbalance but too much of anything is not generally the way to go.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:02 PM

8,086 posts, read 13,029,692 times
You need to quit raiding your childrens' Halloween candy.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:37 PM

2,895 posts, read 7,875,559 times
Just to put it more simply, it could be that in eating A LOT of fruit, you've been getting used to these quick hits of energy and have set yourself to need these quick hits and are now turning to candy bars, etc. to do the job.
Again, quit this while it's relatively easy to do so.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:12 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,083,402 times
Default hormonal fluctuations

Quote:

20yrsinBranson
I hate to have to mention the "H" word, hormones; however, hormonal fluctuations and swings can lead to cravings of sweets. Of course, I don't know whether this is applicable for you, but it's a thought.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:48 PM

14,794 posts, read 17,229,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
You need to quit raiding your childrens' Halloween candy.
If you knew me better you would know that was the most impossible thing you could possibly say. Do an advanced search on my user name and the world "childfree" and you will see what I mean.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-01-2009, 03:27 PM

8,086 posts, read 13,029,692 times
Well if you did a not-so-advanced-search on my posts, you'd see that I'm going for the laugh.

Blissfully child-free and two cats? You and I are from the same mold. That's why we love vacationing in Branson so much... in Menopause Manor, there are very few screaming children and unruly parents.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:25 PM

2,839 posts, read 6,458,548 times
I find that the more sugar I eat, the more sugar I crave. I bet if you cut down the sugar (including the fruit) cold turkey, your craving will get really intense for a day or two, then disappear.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:33 PM

7,479 posts, read 11,009,555 times
20yrsinBranson wrote:
I can't understand why I have this sudden craving for sweet stuff. I have been eating candy bars....
Perhaps you are the victim of subliminal messages to eat candy bars. Have you fallen asleep with the TV on recently?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness