U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 10:13 AM

3,385 posts, read 7,757,034 times
My husbands cardiologist is in synch with him taking supplemental CoQ10 - not an argument there Though it would be nice to know a recommended dosing for someone on statins.

However, my husband has also taken excess vitamin C for decades, and has had two heart attacks, albiet minor, since 2003. I on the other hand take whatever vitamin C is in my multivitamin and don't think about it and have excellent arteries [at least based on heart cath and dopplers] . I am 55, overweight (working on it) on zero BP medicines with resting BP of 110/70.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 10:56 AM

345 posts, read 818,378 times
Homocysteine plays more of a role in artery disease than cholesterol and the medical community knows this. They a going to bleed this cholesterol myth dry as a bone and make as much money as they can and THEN officially recognize that high homocysteine (which is VERY common) is the REAL cause of atherosclerosis and lipid buildup on the aterial walls.

Old 06-18-2010, 04:10 PM

This is one of hundreds of articles explaining the homocysteine/ CAD (and stroke) link.

Moderately High Homocysteine Tied To Stroke, Alzheimer’s Risk

Old 06-18-2010, 04:40 PM

19,081 posts, read 11,757,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino127 View Post
Homocysteine plays more of a role in artery disease than cholesterol and the medical community knows this. They a going to bleed this cholesterol myth dry as a bone and make as much money as they can and THEN officially recognize that high homocysteine (which is VERY common) is the REAL cause of atherosclerosis and lipid buildup on the aterial walls.
Quote:
This is one of hundreds of articles explaining the homocysteine/ CAD (and stroke) link.

Moderately High Homocysteine Tied To Stroke, Alzheimer’s Risk
You charge the medical community and then link the medical community in your next post. 2:1 there are several major players in a plethora of conditions.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
You charge the medical community and then link the medical community in your next post. 2:1 there are several major players in a plethora of conditions.

admit it, this is the first time you've heard about homocysteine

and.... Science Daily ISN'T the medical community

stop trying to cause trouble and stick to the subject

Old 06-19-2010, 06:07 AM

Quote:
admit it, this is the first time you've heard about homocysteine
Well, I came across homocysteine in college in a few biochem courses and vaguely recall the correlation. It's been some time, tho.

Quote:
and.... Science Daily ISN'T the medical community

stop trying to cause trouble and stick to the subject
Um, you are the one with the medical community conspiracy theories. You follow them up with an article discussing research coming out of the medical community 8 years ago. If you don't want your posts, or aspects of your posts, discussed, then I'm not sure why you're posting.

I'm looking at the Mayo clinic site right now and found this...
"Homocysteine is a substance your body uses to make protein and to build and maintain tissue. But too much homocysteine may increase your risk of stroke, certain types of heart disease, and disease of the blood vessels of the arms, legs and feet (peripheral artery disease).

Your doctor may check your homocysteine level if you've had cardiovascular problems but don't have any of the traditional risk factors, such as smoking. Your doctor may also suggest screening if any family members developed heart problems at a young age or have high homocysteine levels.
Your homocysteine level may drop if you get plenty of folate (folic acid) and B vitamins in your diet through foods such as green, leafy vegetables and fortified grain products or through supplements.

But it's not known if reducing your homocysteine level actually reduces your risk of death from heart disease."

So, it doesn't look like it's being ignored. Again, there are multiple players in most conditions and heart disease in an umbrella term. Also, keep in mind that personalized medicine is on the horizon, so treatment plans will begin to vary to a greater degree.

Last edited by Braunwyn; 06-19-2010 at 06:36 AM..

Old 06-19-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Well, I came across homocysteine in college in a few biochem courses and vaguely recall the correlation. It's been some time, tho.

Um, you are the one with the medical community conspiracy theories. You follow them up with an article discussing research coming out of the medical community 8 years ago. If you don't want your posts, or aspects of your posts, discussed, then I'm not sure why you're posting.

I'm looking at the Mayo clinic site right now and found this...
"Homocysteine is a substance your body uses to make protein and to build and maintain tissue. But too much homocysteine may increase your risk of stroke, certain types of heart disease, and disease of the blood vessels of the arms, legs and feet (peripheral artery disease).

Your doctor may check your homocysteine level if you've had cardiovascular problems but don't have any of the traditional risk factors, such as smoking. Your doctor may also suggest screening if any family members developed heart problems at a young age or have high homocysteine levels.
Your homocysteine level may drop if you get plenty of folate (folic acid) and B vitamins in your diet through foods such as green, leafy vegetables and fortified grain products or through supplements.

But it's not known if reducing your homocysteine level actually reduces your risk of death from heart disease."

So, it doesn't look like it's being ignored. Again, there are multiple players in most conditions and heart disease in an umbrella term. Also, keep in mind that personalized medicine is on the horizon, so treatment plans will begin to vary to a greater degree.

I read your cut and paste from Mayo and they are downplaying the importance of checking homocysteine levels. MOST doctors DON"T check at all. This leads to 30 year old patients dieing from heart attacks because "they had no signs of heart problems"

The reason "meat and potatoes" men have a higher incidence of CAD is NOT cholesterol but the very high levels of methionine in these foods.

Alcohol, smoking, caffeine, environmental toxins, stress, nutritional deficiencies, celiac, preservatives, pesticides, among other factors, depletes cobalamin, folate and B6 in the body which is necessary for proper processing of methionine. Without these VERY important nutrients the methionine turns to homocysteine and is NOT processed back into methionine.

YES, It's being ignored. Insurance companies do not recognize the homocysteine/CAD connection and most will not cover the test to check for high levels of homocysteine.

In a "full workup" blood test there is also no test for this dangerous amino acid.

Mayo clinic is in the "business" of making money first and treating diseases second. This is why they downplay the importance of homocysteine testing.

P.S. I am not a conspiracy theorist and your label is offensive. I am a past victim of bad doctors who pass out drugs like candy. The only doctors that I respect are the ones who set my broken bones, stitch up my lacerations, clear up my poison ivy and remove deeply embedded bullets.

Last edited by Rhino127; 06-19-2010 at 08:24 AM..

Old 06-19-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
I read your cut and paste from Mayo and they are downplaying the importance of checking homocysteine levels. MOST doctors DON"T check at all. This leads to 30 year old patients dieing from heart attacks because "they had no signs of heart problems"
Based on what I'm reading high homocysteine levels are attributed, in part, to heredity, which can certainly result in young people (30) developing cardiovascular disease. Frankly, it's not the norm for 30-yr olds to die of heart attacks. This may be the reason the risk is not addressed to the general population. From what I understand, trends are addressed and currently personalized medicine is the responsibility of the individual. Hopefully, this will not always be the case, but for now it seems to be.

I'm in a similar boat, tho not with homocysteine. I have high cholesterol and TGs. It's in my family and my grandmother has suffered three heart attacks as well as other family members. My ex-primary care physician told me to lay off animal products. Being a vegetarian it's not an issue. I suspect my issue is related to my body producing high TGs as a result of glucose and insulin, which together, loosely put, act as transcription factors for genes that produce lipids. Correct advice on his part would have been to tell me to lay off starch and processed foods all together. Frankly, I had no expectation of him having such knowledge (or retaining it).

Quote:
P.S. I am not a conspiracy theorist and your label is offensive. I am a past victim of bad doctors who pass out drugs like candy. The only doctors that I respect are the ones who set my broken bones, stitch up my lacerations, clear up my poison ivy and remove deeply embedded bullets.
Eh, imo people are only victims of their own laziness. Being informed or not informed is typically a choice in the west. The broad brush of the 'medical community', which is unspeakably vast, doesn't make sense to me.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:15 AM

A vegetarian is a prime candidate for high homocysteine. Without animal products there is NO way to get B12 unless there is supplementation (which most in the medical field say is a waste of money and unnecessary).

Meanwhile there is methionine in beans, garlic, onions, potatoes etc.

So, without B12 this methionine turns to homocysteine and NEVER is processed back to methionine which in turn is processed into glutathione, taurine and SAM-E (*) (the most important product of methionine)

(*)

Methionine: An Essential Sulfur-Containing Amino Acid (http://www.healthnews.com/natural-health/amino-acids/methionine-essential-sulfur-containing-amino-acid-643.html - broken link)

Old 06-19-2010, 11:58 AM

2,537 posts, read 6,064,146 times
Quote:
typical for you.. whenever there is real proof posted, you plug your ears and scream loudly "blah, blah, blah, blah , can't hear you !" like a 6 year old.
"Real proof"????

Where would THAT be.....certainly wasn't any contained in ANY of the posts I responded to in this long ago thread...

As for you, I have yet to see even ONE referenced article to support any of the specious claims you make....

Typical for you it seems....make a claim...fail to back it up...move on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness