Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 12:32 PM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,665,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Our government is on the way to cutting smoking rates as we read/write in this thread. Have you heard of FSC (Fire Safe cigarettes)? If you don't drag on them often enough they go out; the drop hot ash all over and I've heard more people are burning themselves trying to smoke them and supposedly they have carpet glue to keep the paper together but it doesn't work. What it is doing is making smoker's sicker than they have ever been. All of this to save few lives lost in smoking related fires. When these FSC cigarettes hit my state I will have to stop buying the brand I have faithfully bought for 30+ years.
Yes I heard about this. Getting smokers sicker? One more chemical is doing that? Hmmm. I highly doubt that. So now there are 4,001 chemicals in cigs. Great! 1 more reason to quit folkes.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:32 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,687,088 times
I respect anyone's right to make their own choices including smoking. However, there is absolutely nothing you can do more harmful than smoke cigarettes short of walking in front of a train. The idea that you have to die from something just doesn't cut it. That would be OK if everybody just fell over dead, but typically that is not the way it happens. Smokers endure heart failure, emphysema, and host of other maladies before they do die and they suffer greatly in the process. I know of four sisters in which three smoked and one did not smoke. All three died either from heart failure complications or emphysema. The one who did not smoke is pushing ninety and would be a good stand-in for the energizer bunny. The only defense for smoking is insanity.
Quitting is tough but dying is a lot tougher and more permanent.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:57 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttz View Post
No, there is only one thing that is going over anyones head and it's your head. You are killing yourself one cigarette at a time. Expect a ~12 year life expectancy decrease for the average smoker. (1 pack a day) Roughly 1.5 hours lost for every pack you smoke. And don't foget to add the ~5 minutes it takes to smoke that one cig. So in essence you are losing 10 minutes of your life for every cancer stick you suck down. Who is not getting what here?

Only a smoker can come back with the following come backs. I have seen them here dozens of times:

-everyone dies
-you could get hit by a bus tomorrow
-you are killing thyself with sugar, fat and other chemicals
-you are dieing breathing in car pollution
-bla bla bla

Bottom line is adding all the above, it comes nowhere close to what tobacco smoking does to you. You are decreasing your health and life dramatically by smoking. Do you want to have to carry an O2 tank with you every where you go? Do you want to greatly increase your chances to getting Cancer? Hard questions to swallow I know.

Remeber this: Quitting smoking and enduring the very temporary withdrawals IS A LOT EASIER than being in pain, gasping for air and dieing of CANCER.

Prove it. Don't give me the odds because I'm not a gambler. Give me iron-clad, measurable PROOF that ANYONE ever died "early" from smoking.

You can't do it. Know why? Because nobody, including the most radical of health-nut's, knows how long someone was supposed to live in the first place. Hence, there's no standard of measurement.

Or, prove the reverse: That someone actually lived longer by not smoking. Can't do that either for the same reason.

Old 11-13-2009, 02:05 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,448,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sswaring View Post
I don't really know anyone who smokes anymore. It seems to me that smokers are less likely to be college educated these days and I live in a neighborhood of professional types.
A librarian at my local branch smoked right up until she got cancer. She is a grandmother. I KNOW she knew better. And I'm sure her smoking was much reduced over the years.
I have an MBA, live in an upscale neighborhood with a house that is paid for. I smoke.

Old 11-13-2009, 02:09 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
I think it was more common decades ago to smoke than it is now. I did see this subject on another debate board recently, and someone shared some statistics that backed this up. But now with a struggling economy, and people feeling the stress, I wouldn't be surprised to see the numbers start to rise. I personally quit smoking 21 years ago, after smoking for 10 years. For me it was pretty easy, and I never had the desire to start it up again. I hate the smell of cigarettes now, and hate spending time with our friends who smoke. It gets in your hair and clothes, and I just feel nauseous from it. Fortunately, bars and restaurants in my state don't allow smoking. I'm grateful for the public smoking bans that have passed here.

My dh, who years ago had promised to quit along with me, never did. To this day it is a trouble spot in our marriage. He never smokes at home, and our grown children were actually grown before learning he smoked, but he just smells awful. I have to throw his clothes in the laundry basket each night and cover them up, or throw them straight in the wash. And of course it's only a matter of time before it affects his health, and the cost is ridiculous. I understand that for some people it's hard to quit, but he won't even try. I think that is the problem, some smokers just don't want to quit, and you have to really want to quit to be successful. But it's a free country, and as long as people are doing it in the privacy of their own homes and not in my presence, I guess I can't really judge. People make all sorts of unhealthy choices all the time, smoking is just one of them.

Old 11-13-2009, 02:35 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Cigarette smokers need our love and support not more guilt-tripping. I know. I used to smoke. Believe me I hated myself a little bit every time I lit one up. And yes, I fully knew it wasn't a healthy habit. And when some stranger would come along and tell me "You know, those kill.." I always wanted to say, "I know...how would you like to be the first...?" But I never said that. Just swallowed my words and felt more self-hate and guilt about my addiction.

But guess what? One day I decided, and my doctor encouraged me, to quit, and with the help of a several month class put on by the American Lung Association, I did quit. It's been 15 years now.

So if you smoke, if a loved one smokes...don't give up on yourself--or them.

Love yourself--love them...and when they are ready, they will find the will and the way to quit.

Old 11-13-2009, 02:37 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times
seriously I think people just need to mind their own business. Period!

Old 11-13-2009, 02:56 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,694,513 times
I'm just truly happy I don't smoke. I can inhale deep and long with no coughing or choking. I truly would hate to have to cough up a whole trough of morning mucus every single morning without fail and to know it is only going to get worse. I cannot control aging, but, I can control placing a cigarette in my mouth and I so glad I am free from that addiction I can buy shoes instead

Old 11-13-2009, 03:16 PM
ttz

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Prove it. Don't give me the odds because I'm not a gambler. Give me iron-clad, measurable PROOF that ANYONE ever died "early" from smoking.

You can't do it. Know why? Because nobody, including the most radical of health-nut's, knows how long someone was supposed to live in the first place. Hence, there's no standard of measurement.

Or, prove the reverse: That someone actually lived longer by not smoking. Can't do that either for the same reason.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that sucking down toxic smoke is bad for your health. It has been proven that smoking destroys lung tissue (and can also cause lung cancer of said tissues.) Even non smokers who are exposed to second hand smoke! They have proof. They can SEE the larger holes in the lungs from the damage! That Sir, is enough proof for me!
Mod cut: copyright violations
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-rap040407.php

http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...819144,00.html

Last edited by Viralmd; 11-13-2009 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: Copyright violations

Old 11-13-2009, 03:32 PM
ttz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I'm just truly happy I don't smoke. I can inhale deep and long with no coughing or choking. I truly would hate to have to cough up a whole trough of morning mucus every single morning without fail and to know it is only going to get worse. I cannot control aging, but, I can control placing a cigarette in my mouth and I so glad I am free from that addiction I can buy shoes instead
You must be an ex smoker or know someone who does! Good for you for "getting it"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness