Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 10:58 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,428,379 times

Advertisements

My husband is now 3 months post op from a lumbar spinal fusion. From the time he was released from the hospital it was one complication after another. About 6 or 7 weeks post op he finally seemed to start healing.

However, his incision site never really seemed healed. We'd mention it to the surgeon each time we saw him. He said it takes time to heal. After a couple months he said it's scar tissue and will be sensitive for a while.

About 10 weeks post op (couple weeks ago) it seemed healed, though it had white things sticking out of it. My husband thought it was the interior sutures poking through and that the sutures inside should be dissolved by now. So in his infinite wisdom, he got tweezers and decided to pull them out.

Well, they seem to have been attached to something inside and all he accomplished was ripping the skin open around the ............... whatever they are. So we cleaned it and bandaged it and he left it alone.

We went back to the surgeon last week and he told him again that it's still incredibly sensitive. He can't touch anything on his lower abdomen without it being extremely painful. The doctor again told him it's scar tissue, it will be fine in time.

Last night after he got ready for bed he told me he'd found blood in the waist band of his jeans and asked me to look at the site again. I found a hole in his stomach about as big around as a dime and very deep!!!

I don't see the white things that were there before, but you can see all the tissue and everything in there. It's pretty bad.

I cleaned it out with alcohol and peroxide and put the anti-biotic ointment on it that he got from the hospital when he was released. I covered it loosely with a few banadages so his shorts wouldn't irritate it anymore.

So I'm now waiting for a call back from the surgeon. I'm a bit worried, seeing as how we're now at 13 weeks post op. He's leaving for Florida next week. He can't be going down there for 10 days with a hole in his stomach can he?

Anyone have any idea what's causing this? Could something have been left in the site that's causing it? Could he have a reaction to the sutures that were used? Any ideas at all?

I've got a photo of the site if posting would help. Thought I'd ask first though so I don't gross anyone out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 11:47 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,445,519 times
get to a DR NOW. a different one today if possible!

Old 11-13-2009, 12:34 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Why did they go through his stomach? I've never heard of anything but an approach from the back. But whatever, he needs an emergency consultation w/another doctor. That is a huge risk. When I worked in a hospital we sometimes had bad gastric bypass jobs come in - they had to heal from the inside out but it took special handling of the wound. So sorry your hubby is going through this - and you, too!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-13-2009 at 05:13 PM..

Old 11-13-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Why did they go through his stomach? I've never heard of anything but an approach from the back. But whatever, he needs an emergency consultation w/another doctor. That is a huge risk. When I worked in a hospital we sometimes had bad gstric bypass jobs come in - they had to heal from the inside out but it took special handling of the wound. So sorry your hubby is going through this - and you, too!
I think he's going to have to. His surgeon still hasn't called back - almost 6 hours later!!!!

They talked about going through the back but the chances of doing nerve damage were higher and because he already has so many problems with nerve damage they felt that going in abdominally would be a better way for him.

His father had his through the back and his recovery time was much less.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:47 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,978,619 times
I don't like the way your husband's surgeon didn't respond to your concerns. I don't know much about human medicine, but in veterinary medicine at least an incision should heal in 10 to 14 days. I think seeing another doctor right away sounds like a great idea.

Last edited by kansas sky; 11-13-2009 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: to change 7-10 to 10-14

Old 11-13-2009, 01:04 PM

Now my stupid Mod cut: languagehusband decides he's not worried either and he'll just keep it clean and it will magically be better in Johnny land. I'm beyond livid. Why are men so damn stupid? I'm pissed.

Last edited by Viralmd; 11-13-2009 at 04:55 PM..

Old 11-13-2009, 01:06 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Now my stupid F*n husband decides he's not worried either and he'll just keep it clean and it will magically be better in Johnny land. I'm beyond livid. Why are men so damn stupid? I'm pissed.
Call 911 and have them drag his a$$ off to the hospital!

Old 11-13-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Call 911 and have them drag his a$$ off to the hospital!
He'll just deny service, which is his legal right. They can't force him to go. I did send his parents an e-mail and told them I'm beyond pissed and asked if they could try to talk some sense into him. I'm just furious.

And in all this, his reasoning is it's no worse than me wanting to drive to Florida. Huh???

We're going to Florida next week. I can only take a long weekend, but I wanted him to have time to see his family. His parents are in their late 70s and his father had some cardiac issues last month. He needs to see them while he's there.

His sister is coming down with his 7 month old neice that he's never even met. His other neice and nephew will be there as well. He needs to see his family. That's so important.

So I bought him a plane ticket (he's disabled so a drive there is just too difficult for him) so he can go for 10 days. I"ll leave work (Nashville) Thursday afternoon and drive half way, get a hotel and finish the last 5 or so hours of the drive Friday morning.

Now, I drive 4 hours every single day to and from work. I spend my weekends doing transport, sometimes 14 or 16 hours a day. Driving is second nature to me. It's not big deal.

But he and his parents think it's too dangerous and want me to fly. Sorry, but tickets for that time frame are ridiculously expensive. I'm not paying that kind of money when it'll cost me less than $100 in fuel round trip. And his parents and giving us a bunch of stuff I need to bring home. I can't take a stereo system and desk top computer back on an airplane.

But because I refuse to spend the money to fly and insist on driving and they are worried, he's decided that's the same as him not having a crater that opened up on his stomach 3 months after surgery looked at.

Why are some people so stubborn and stupid? I'm so angry I could punch him in the nose!

Old 11-13-2009, 01:21 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
My husband is now 3 months post op from a lumbar spinal fusion. From the time he was released from the hospital it was one complication after another. About 6 or 7 weeks post op he finally seemed to start healing.

However, his incision site never really seemed healed. We'd mention it to the surgeon each time we saw him. He said it takes time to heal. After a couple months he said it's scar tissue and will be sensitive for a while.

About 10 weeks post op (couple weeks ago) it seemed healed, though it had white things sticking out of it. My husband thought it was the interior sutures poking through and that the sutures inside should be dissolved by now. So in his infinite wisdom, he got tweezers and decided to pull them out.

Well, they seem to have been attached to something inside and all he accomplished was ripping the skin open around the ............... whatever they are. So we cleaned it and bandaged it and he left it alone.

We went back to the surgeon last week and he told him again that it's still incredibly sensitive. He can't touch anything on his lower abdomen without it being extremely painful. The doctor again told him it's scar tissue, it will be fine in time.

Last night after he got ready for bed he told me he'd found blood in the waist band of his jeans and asked me to look at the site again. I found a hole in his stomach about as big around as a dime and very deep!!!

I don't see the white things that were there before, but you can see all the tissue and everything in there. It's pretty bad.

I cleaned it out with alcohol and peroxide and put the anti-biotic ointment on it that he got from the hospital when he was released. I covered it loosely with a few banadages so his shorts wouldn't irritate it anymore.

So I'm now waiting for a call back from the surgeon. I'm a bit worried, seeing as how we're now at 13 weeks post op. He's leaving for Florida next week. He can't be going down there for 10 days with a hole in his stomach can he?

Anyone have any idea what's causing this? Could something have been left in the site that's causing it? Could he have a reaction to the sutures that were used? Any ideas at all?

I've got a photo of the site if posting would help. Thought I'd ask first though so I don't gross anyone out.
I would NOT wait for a call back, I would take your husband into the ER and DEMAND that something be done to fix what is a HOLE for heavens sake in your husbands abdomen.

Sometimes medical people are idiots and you have to be a loud and clear advocate for yourself and your family. Don't allow them to put you off. I agree with what others have said and I would get help from another doctor. Regardless of putting the ointment on it, he could get a horrible infection INSIDE his body.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Regardless of putting the ointment on it, he could get a horrible infection INSIDE his body.
I told him that. The nurse at his neurologist office said that. He doesn't care. He knows it all.

Wound up having to hang up after saying some things I don't mean. Well, I meant them at the time, but should have shut up. He just pisses me off when he doesn't take care of himself and he's getting worse every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness