U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2009, 07:18 AM

2,945 posts, read 11,940,966 times

Advertisements

My doctor suggested I go to a facility that performs heart screening. This was a self pay and not submitted to my insurance. I called the facilty and asked for my results which they refused to give me. I had never experienced anything like this and told them by law they had to give me a copy of my results. In turn they informed me it would be a liability if they gave me the results, etc. It was unbeleavable on so many levels. I did get a verbal report from my doctor.

Short of paying an attorney, what was my recourse? How can a facilty refuse to give a patient their results?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 08:06 AM

4,268 posts, read 13,717,303 times
They can't refuse to give you the results! That doesn't even make sense!!

Have you tried asking your MD if he/she can get a copy of the report for you? I'm sure he got the the results if he's the one telling you the news about it.

I would raise hell about this though to the heart facility. Read up on HIPPA laws and see if there's anything that says about a facility having the right to refuse you the results of your tests. That just seems so absurd. Good luck.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:27 AM

2,945 posts, read 11,940,966 times
Thank you. I have never encountered anything like this. And I have been to
major hospitals and never had this happen before.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:31 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,226,597 times
Did you ask over then phone or go there in person? Due to all this privacy stuff now days, they can not just send out copies of all your stuff.. I would go in person and ask for a copy, if they refuse, I would tell them they will be hearing from my lawyer.

I have requested stuff over the phone but had to go in myself to pick up the copy.... be prepared to have to pay per sheet of paper they use for your copies. Some will charge you, others do not.

It is wise to keep a copy of everything for your own records and take then to any new doctor you go to so they can see what has already been done and the results.

Old 11-21-2009, 01:26 PM

19,639 posts, read 53,524,973 times
You do have to go in to sign the release of information form and they will charge you. You can call them and ask them to send you the form and then you fill it out and sign it and mail it back. However, I have always found it easier to just go in and sign b/c if you fill it out wrong, they can help you correct it on the spot. Ask at the info desk in the lobby where you go to get a copy of your records - it is usually down some back hallway.

Don't go in w/an attitude b/c it is not their fault, this is Federal law these days. You want their cooperation if you put the wrong thing on the form.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-21-2009 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: added for clarity, typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness