Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 05:07 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
For now...

"The remaining NON-FSC cigarette brands still available are: NATIVE, USA GOLD, and TAHOE Brand cigarettes."

They have to switch by the beginning of the year.
Although there are still some states that don't currently have FSC legislation in effect, that doesn't ensure that the cigarettes in that state don't contain FSC. Many manufacturers have gone to full FSC production/distribution since the regulation is in force in the majority of their markets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
If I under correctly, rolling papers, or most of them, are non FSC. I've also read that this might change.
The cigarette tubes used by the do-it-yourselfers do not contain FSC, nor is there any legislation pending to enact it. I'd strongly encourage you, and others who wish to smoke non-FSC cigarettes, to visit this very informative and helpful site: RYO Cigarettes | Roll Your Own Cigarette Tobacco | RYO Revolution
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
This is from an old post of mine when there was a long thread about the new "safe" cigarettes.

They (American Spirit) use something called alginate which is a derivative of seaweed.
>>> Alginic acid, also called algin or alginate, is a viscous gum that is abundant in the cell walls of brown algae. ...
And the woman on the phone said she believes they use a bit of starch to hold the alginate together.
There are two little invisible bands around the cigarette.
She said you'd have to remove the tobacco and turn the paper inside out to see them ... or something like that.

Link to that old thread:
New fire-safe cigarettes. Are they SAFE??

Old 11-24-2009, 02:22 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,927,572 times
First, please don't hate me...I'm a non-smoker. But I come in peace, I promise!

Anyhow, I just wanted to chime in and say that I read about this last week and WOW, what the hell?! My question is...how many fires can be attributed to people smoking/from a lit cigarette? It seems like the number has to be small. And, also, are these cigarettes made to prevent things like brush fires (i.e., if thrown from a car) or just for man-made materials (i.e., bedding, drywall)?

Old 11-24-2009, 04:37 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,167,707 times
I switched to Murano Light 100 cigars when the FSC cigs came into effect.
I wont smoke that crap.
Murano is only $11.00 a carton plus tax. A carton costs me less than $12.00.
They are like cigs and about as strong as a medium flavor cig.
I live in Ohio and dont know how available they are in other places.
I get them at a smoke shop. They aren't sold in stores.
I thought about rolling my own but these are even cheaper than that and they don't have the FSC bull****.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:49 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
I switched to Murano Light 100 cigars when the FSC cigs came into effect.
I wont smoke that crap.
They are like cigs and about as strong as a medium flavor cig.
I live in Ohio and dont know how available they are in other places.
I get them at a smoke shop. They aren't sold in stores.
I thought about rolling my own but these are even cheaper than that and they don't have the FSC bull****.
What brand of cigs did you smoke previously, Robhu?

I might give that a try just for the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
First, please don't hate me...I'm a non-smoker. But I come in peace, I promise!

Anyhow, I just wanted to chime in and say that I read about this last week and WOW, what the hell?! My question is...how many fires can be attributed to people smoking/from a lit cigarette? It seems like the number has to be small. And, also, are these cigarettes made to prevent things like brush fires (i.e., if thrown from a car) or just for man-made materials (i.e., bedding, drywall)?
I would imagine it's to prevent all fires where a cigarette was involved but I have heard that smoker's are burning themselves trying to smoke them and that's just wrong. I believe the news was that these cigarettes would prevent the untimely death of about 1,000 lives.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:27 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,575,016 times
Quote:
I would imagine it's to prevent all fires where a cigarette was involved but I have heard that smoker's are burning themselves trying to smoke them and that's just wrong. I believe the news was that these cigarettes would prevent the untimely death of about 1,000 lives.
As compared to how many deaths cause by this new chemical they are putting in the cigarettes?.... Time will tell on that..

What they should be doing is getting chemicals OUT of cigarettes, not adding more to them. I have read somewhere on the internet that smoking related deaths are higher in the USA than anywhere.. we also add more chemicals than any other country... So, if we won't quit smoking, they can just kill us off?

While I am here, people who complainer about smokers have some nerve in my view. WHEN have you ever heard there was a ozone alert because to many smokers were outside smoking. You CAN get away from cigarette smoke but WHERE can you go to get away from car fumes? THAT should be a LOT bigger issue than someone smoking. Cigarettes seem like a awfully small issue compared to car fumes and the impact that is having on the air we breathe.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:56 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Hmm you know hubbie has been complaining lately and I never added it up..will have to read up on this....dam crack heads that can't remember they have a lit cigarette

Old 11-24-2009, 09:25 AM

2,038 posts, read 4,551,924 times
These are the only cigarettes sold in Maryland now (about a year). It took a while, but I've gotten used to them. One thing I do hate about them is, if you happen to not take a drag for 30 seconds or so, they burn out and lighting it back up is kinda nasty because you have this hard lump of ash at the end.

Adding more chemicals is a concern and I have actually bought an E-Cigarette. I haven't quite made the transition yet, but I hope to soon.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:26 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
As compared to how many deaths cause by this new chemical they are putting in the cigarettes?.... Time will tell on that..

What they should be doing is getting chemicals OUT of cigarettes, not adding more to them. I have read somewhere on the internet that smoking related deaths are higher in the USA than anywhere.. we also add more chemicals than any other country... So, if we won't quit smoking, they can just kill us off?

While I am here, people who complainer about smokers have some nerve in my view. WHEN have you ever heard there was a ozone alert because to many smokers were outside smoking. You CAN get away from cigarette smoke but WHERE can you go to get away from car fumes? THAT should be a LOT bigger issue than someone smoking. Cigarettes seem like a awfully small issue compared to car fumes and the impact that is having on the air we breathe.
I wonder how many chemicals go into those cigars that were mentioned a few posts back? And too how does the tax compare against cigarettes. You make a lot of good points that smokers have been making for years but the non's just push them off.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
They are light cigs and about as strong as a medium flavor cig.
In terms of cost, it is still possible to RYO for slightly less than what you're currently paying. But even better, with RYO you'll be getting real tobacco, unlike the stuff in the premade cigarettes, which is essentially reconstituted sheet powder sprayed with all kinds of interesting chemicals which likely pose an even greater risk to one's health than the FSC paper.

Try this experiment, break apart one of your premade cigarettes that you've purchased and compare the appearance of that tobacco to one of the RYO tobacco's. It will be crystal clear to you which tobacco is of superior quality. If our(RYO people) tobacco degrades to the point that it looks like the stuff in a commercially made cigarette, we call it "shake" and we throw it out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness