U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 11:41 PM

3,388 posts, read 5,552,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Yeah, but in the process of burning down to the filter there is a chance (with dumb, unaware people) that a fire is started with that unattended burning cigarette if it's dropped on the bed, carpet, etc..

Ugh, don't even get me started how horrible the FSC are now compared to before.

I have burned holes in more thing SINCE than I ever did before.

The cherries get too long and it takes much more than a normal tap to get the ash off, and you take the chance of tapping TOO hard and the whole cherry goes flying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 11:20 PM

6,237 posts, read 18,166,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Ugh, don't even get me started how horrible the FSC are now compared to before.

I have burned holes in more thing SINCE than I ever did before.

The cherries get too long and it takes much more than a normal tap to get the ash off, and you take the chance of tapping TOO hard and the whole cherry goes flying.
Great news for me...I live with someone who is very careless with his lit smokes...and it sounds like its going to get worse.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:22 PM

2,903 posts, read 11,180,267 times
Once again, i'll recommend American Spirit.
None of their tobacco has any of the many additives and some of their tobacco is %100 organic.
I have been told by the company that their cigarette papers are treated with 3 little rings that are composed of a seaweed derivative and a benign binding material (i think corn starch).
Even if American Spirit isn't being totally honest (and i'm not convinced either way at this point) about the way they have complied with this regulation, i am fairly confident that it is certainly a better alternative.
I haven't noticed any change in taste. I have noticed that there are 3 points down the length of the cigarette (where the rings are) where the cigarette will go out if it's not dragged on.
American Spirits cigarettes are more expensive (so smoke less during the day to make up for the extra cost and you'll benefit by smoking less) but to me, smoking tobacco that doesn't have all the many additives is worth the extra price.
If you're a Marlboro smoker (for example) and you switch to American Spirit (or any tobacco that isn't treated) and smoke them for a few months and then smoke a Marlboro all you will taste is chemicals.
And the way that American Spirit has treated their paper seems to me to be much preferable to how the other major brands are treating theirs.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 12-15-2009 at 12:32 PM..

Old 12-15-2009, 04:15 PM

Getting harder in my little town in South Carolina to find non-FSC Marlboro's.

I will look into American Spirit coyoteskye because I am not really sure I want to go the RYO route.

For RYO smokers: How is the burn on RYO smokes? This is one worry I have with them.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:21 PM

8,957 posts, read 17,037,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I think cigars are wrapped with tobacco leaves, not really a paper at all. I do remember that just plain tobacco has a tendency to go out on its own--whether in cigars or in a pipe.
QUALITY cigars (not the drug store or gas station variety) are 100% tobacco. All other cigars are wrapped in brown tobacco like paper.

The FSC "IS" and invention of the anti tobacco junk science that is the tobacco war. Just another way for the anti tobacco crowd to legally harass the people who choose to smoke.

FWIW, I'm amazed that more smokers don't quit cigarettes altogether to take up the pipe which is a much more rewarding way to enjoy tobacco. Pipe smoking is also way, way cheaper and much less offensive to other people. The pipe also doesn't have the risk factors of the cigarettes due to the fact that pipe smoke is NOT inhaled (its way to strong).

Old 12-15-2009, 05:13 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,321,195 times
Yes, and as 100% tobacco, they go out on their own.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:38 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,271,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
For RYO smokers: How is the burn on RYO smokes? This is one worry I have with them.
Generally, much slower than a commercially made cigarette. Big Tobacco sprays their product with many chemicals, some of which are designed to accelerate the burn rate of the cigarette. Back in the spring of this year, some RYO products were introduced that have a burn rate somewhat like commercial cigarettes. But, there are still plenty of RYO tobacco products that don't burn so quickly.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:32 PM

418 posts, read 915,757 times
I have been rolling my own since July when the tax went up another dollar a pack and I find that the tobacco, paper and filter is better than manufactured cigarettes. The tobacco is much fresher.
The paper ( Topps ) is made in France so I don't think it has all those chems in it.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Buettner View Post
I have been rolling my own since July when the tax went up another dollar a pack and I find that the tobacco, paper and filter is better than manufactured cigarettes. The tobacco is much fresher.
The paper ( Topps ) is made in France so I don't think it has all those chems in it.
Do you use tubes or do you buy each piece separately?

Old 12-18-2009, 12:08 PM

Well I had to buy my first FSC cigarettes this week. I choose American Spirit Lights and after smoking 2 whole packs and some of the 3rd I have to tell you that I hate this even more. Hubby took a few drags off of one cigarette and put it out saying he couldn't get a hit off it. He thinks if I get him a pack of his regular brand FSC that its going to be different. I've made the decision to try RYO.

It amazes me that as I go to the different stores looking for non-FSC 90% of the clerks know nothing about the change and some of them are smokers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness