U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 11:35 AM

418 posts, read 914,070 times

Advertisements

Buy each piece separately and us a $6.00 " Top " roller cigarette maker. Works great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 03:43 PM

2,903 posts, read 11,164,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Well I had to buy my first FSC cigarettes this week. I choose American Spirit Lights and after smoking 2 whole packs and some of the 3rd I have to tell you that I hate this even more. Hubby took a few drags off of one cigarette and put it out saying he couldn't get a hit off it. He thinks if I get him a pack of his regular brand FSC that its going to be different. I've made the decision to try RYO.

It amazes me that as I go to the different stores looking for non-FSC 90% of the clerks know nothing about the change and some of them are smokers.

Hmmm, that's interesting.
I've been smoking American Spirit for many years and have not noticed a difference in those three little rings down the length of the cigarette.
The cigarette will go out at those points if not dragged on so i know the rings are there.
And i'm extremely sensitive to both taste and effect so it's interesting.

They don't treat the entire paper and, according to the co. (i know, i'm not supposed to trust them) the retardant is not a chemical but is made from a seaweed derivative and corn starch (i think) is used for binding purposes.
So, pardon me, but i'm questioning your objectivity here unless you're just speaking about a more difficult drag factor? (which i've not noticed)
I just have to get the truth about what American Spirit is using to treat their papers.
I've called the company a few times and get the same information.
Does anyone know of an separate "entity"/ agency that can confirm the information regarding American Spirits and their papers?
There must be some oversight / regulators that can provide with the truth about American Spirit? No?

Old 12-18-2009, 06:04 PM

6,233 posts, read 18,123,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Hmmm, that's interesting.
I've been smoking American Spirit for many years and have not noticed a difference in those three little rings down the length of the cigarette.
The cigarette will go out at those points if not dragged on so i know the rings are there.
And i'm extremely sensitive to both taste and effect so it's interesting.

They don't treat the entire paper and, according to the co. (i know, i'm not supposed to trust them) the retardant is not a chemical but is made from a seaweed derivative and corn starch (i think) is used for binding purposes.
So, pardon me, but i'm questioning your objectivity here unless you're just speaking about a more difficult drag factor? (which i've not noticed)
I just have to get the truth about what American Spirit is using to treat their papers.
I've called the company a few times and get the same information.
Does anyone know of an separate "entity"/ agency that can confirm the information regarding American Spirits and their papers?
There must be some oversight / regulators that can provide with the truth about American Spirit? No?
I just found them harder to drag on, at first I didn't notice it and I'm sure part of the reason is the speed bumps...I had many go out almost as quick as I could light them and to tell you the truth I just didn't enjoy the experience. If that was the only alternative I'd probably give it up altogether. I was lucky and went to my fav grocery store last night and they had 2 cartons non-FSC in my brand. I suppose when they run out I will have to have my supplies ready for RYO.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:28 AM

1 posts, read 3,149 times
Hey, is there anything we as smokers can do about this fcs? What gave them the right to add more chemicals?Because they added this tax or that tax and we didn't quit,so they're going to kill us off by adding this fsc crap that hasn't been tested to see if was even safe??

Old 12-20-2009, 12:10 PM

I would say our voice will be heard loud and clear when people stop buying ready made cigarettes. If they sit on the shelf the stores are going to complain and then the manufacturer will have to do something or go out of business. It's your call! Do we really need thousands more unemployed in this country?

Old 12-24-2009, 10:15 PM

64 posts, read 150,597 times
While reviewing my budget for next year and trying to find ways to cut back on expenses I did a search for a cheaper cig. I found this thread. I had no clue why my cigs were "dying" on me. In the past I've toyed with thoughts of growing and ryo, but had no information on it nor do I know any smokers that do either. So, many thanks for the information and useful links!

Old 12-24-2009, 11:33 PM

welcome to the discussion lynnte! I'm overjoyed we've kept it open this long.

Wow we've almost got 1,500 views!

Old 12-25-2009, 10:27 AM

64 posts, read 150,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
welcome to the discussion lynnte! I'm overjoyed we've kept it open this long.

Wow we've almost got 1,500 views!
Ty and I sent the link to one of my smoking friends.
Well this seems to explain a few things, (excuse my bluntness) I've noticed blood when I blow my nose and my throat has been dry and itchy lately. I thought maybe it was the weather or because I moved, or something. Who wouldve thought they poisoned my cig with more chemicals and didnt have the decency to at least run as many ads about it as they do about how smokers and smoking is going to cause the world to end. (I'm being sarcastic).

I have no desire to become a ryo tobacco blend connoisseur. But I do think I would enjoy growing (I am a huge gardener and have the land/space) and rolling. Especially given the cost savings. I smoke Doral ultra light 100's. I live in NC. I'm reading the links provided and would appreciate any advice for where to start with learning to ryo. I'm not in a position to have a huge outlay in experimental equipment. I've seen the term "starter kits" used. Also I have no clue where to purchase said products. Currently I purchase the cheapest cig around at walmart.

Thanks all!

Old 12-25-2009, 10:43 AM

418 posts, read 914,070 times
Thanks, Robhu I tried the Murano light cigars and they are very mild and cheaper than RYO. Good way to get around that damn tax increase.

Old 12-25-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnte View Post
(I'm being sarcastic).
I think we all feel that way too; at least I do. How quickly they've forgotten about fighting the cig companies over all those hidden additives...and now they make them put more in them. You are in the heart of tobacco country so you should not have any trouble growing your own. Hubby has considered that but I don't know if it will get past the thought stage. At least you would know it is pure. At least one of those sites compares their blends to pre-made cig brands and shipping is cheap or free with a small purchase. I will be making a trip to a local tobacco shop this week I suspect so I'll know more then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness