U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 01:29 PM

64 posts, read 150,692 times

Advertisements

I went back to college last year so I've been doing my budget annually and buying my cig's to last for half a year. We're only allowed to buy 5 cartons at a time. Outside of that legal boundary...

I've seen some comments about various legal issues about ordering cross state and online. I'm looking over the links for tobacco providers near me but can anyone enlighten me with what to be weary of when purchasing, ordering products? I don't want the tobacco police after me

Much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 01:45 PM

15,587 posts, read 22,415,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
It makes the cigarette taste terrible and gives me a headache. Originally they started selling them in New York only a few years ago. Then California caught on. Then Ohio...
Illinois went over in January 2008.

Old 12-25-2009, 01:49 PM

I talked to two of my NC friends today, one quit smoking very recently and the other currently smokes, neither of them were aware of the fsc thing.

Old 12-25-2009, 05:24 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,261,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnte View Post
I have no desire to become a ryo tobacco blend connoisseur.
Most people that RYO don't desire to be connoisseurs. And there's nothing wrong with that. Different strokes for different folks. Put as much effort in to it as you wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnte View Post
But I do think I would enjoy growing (I am a huge gardener and have the land/space) and rolling. I'm not in a position to have a huge outlay in experimental equipment.
Growing takes time and some effort. Additionally, the tobacco will need to be cured and cut after you pull it from the ground. It's possible to do it, but it's not nearly as simple as growing vegetables and whatnot.

Old 12-25-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Most people that RYO don't desire to be connoisseurs. And there's nothing wrong with that. Different strokes for different folks. Put as much effort in to it as you wish.

Growing takes time and some effort. Additionally, the tobacco will need to be cured and cut after you pull it from the ground. It's possible to do it, but it's not nearly as simple as growing vegetables and whatnot.
Thank you for responding, I recognize your name from another thread as well. From reading on this topic I see alot about blends, brands, "flavors", however one chooses to phrase it. I just mean that I don't want to put alot of time and money into trying various types. I did find that there are a couple of tobacco shops reasonably close to me. As I have no experience with this outside of my research, I am hoping I am able to find someone knowledgable when I visit the shops.

Again, thank you for the input. Since I'm not a "lace-panties" type of girl I am interested in looking into it. We raised and had butchered our own cows and pigs, kept chickens and a couple of horses and I do my own canning of my garden. So I do think it would be worth looking into.

Last edited by lynnte; 12-25-2009 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: typed within the posters quote

Old 01-09-2010, 12:46 AM

6,235 posts, read 18,152,183 times
Well I did it Monday...bought my first HH injector and tobacco and supplies. I am having some trouble injecting perfect sticks and I'm losing a lot of cherry's and wasting a lot of tobacco in the process. I have a problem with humidity in my home and I need to decide how I am going to deal with that issue. I'm not happy with the quality of sticks I'm rolling but now that I'm left with only "shake" I can't figure out where I am going wrong. I want to try another machine that others seem to like because I need a better quality smoke than I am currently making. Until I figure out these issues I'm smoking my regular brand but after smoking all natural for a few days they taste funny.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:41 AM

109 posts, read 258,269 times
buy tubes and reroll the tobacco.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:17 AM

8,957 posts, read 17,025,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Time to out and buy a pipe?
As a pipe smoker I invite all to try a pipe but beware that pipe smoking is VERY, VERY different than cigarettes.

There is a "method" that must be observed in order to gain the most from pipe smoking. Many cigarette smokers think (mistakenly) that all one must do is stuff tobacco in the bowl, fire up and suck away. Not so. If anything that is a recipe for a roasted tongue, and a failed effort to smoke a pipe CORRECTLY.

That said, for any who wish to learn more about the pipe and it's pleasures DM me for help. The effort to learn the pipe will make you wonder why you ever bothered with cigarettes in the first place.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:47 PM

2 posts, read 4,401 times
examiner.com has quite an article on FSC cigarettes. In 2004 the government passed a law requiring a fire safe cigarette. Some states complied then, some are now. Cigarette papers are constructed by gluing 2 or 3 thin bands of less-porous paper together with an ethylene vinyl acetate copolymer emulsion based adhesive (carpet glue). This is very toxic.. Yes, it has very slightly decreased the deaths from accidental fires, but complaints from smokers all over the U.S. have multiplied. My daughter cut a cigarette open, dumped the tobacco and held the paper to the light. It was FULL of the glue bands.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:57 PM

13,420 posts, read 42,789,579 times
Pipe, cigar (yes, different from cigarettes but it's tobacco) (I have never smoked cigarettes but on and off do smoke a pipe and/or cigars) or buy some loose cigarette tobacco and some Zig-Zags, roll your own.

I don't want to share working space with people smoking indoors, but I do think the pendulum has swung way too far against smokers. It's a legal product, anyone old enough to smoke legally should have enough sense not to smoke in bed, etc. where the FSC is supposed to mitigate risks.

If I did smoke cigarettes I would by now be rolling my own, both to escape the FSC (and other!) chemicals and "pencil trimmings" in most OTC smokes, and to save some $ - around here in WA a pack of smokes is in the $5-$7 range (and I mean a pack, not a carton).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness