Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 07:06 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,526,677 times

Advertisements

Before I get started I respectfully request non-smokers to stay out of this discussion. Do not turn this thread into a fight that needs to be closed.

Just today here in my home state of SC I refused to buy my first FSC cigarettes. I've read the discussion at http://www.city-data.com/forum/healt...they-safe.html and am very disturbed by this new trend/law.

I want to know what you are doing about FSC cigarettes?

Is there a brand that does not now contain this designation? Is there a brand that will not in the future contain this designation?

How has FSC affected you?

When the last cigarette settlement was being discovered and then sent to trial or whatever that was...the internet was not as widespread as it is now. Use it to make your view known.

If you are on Facebook do a search on fsc cigarette and join every group that comes up. On one group there is a link to a petition to sign...sign it.

Again, this discussion is intended for people that choose to smoke and non-smokers are respectfully requested to keep their comments to themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 09:59 AM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
For now...

"The remaining NON-FSC cigarette brands still available are: NATIVE, USA GOLD, and TAHOE Brand cigarettes."

They have to switch by the beginning of the year.

Buy NON FSC Cigarettes: NON-FSC Cigarettes!, We Have NON FSC Cigs - Carolina Cartons

If I under correctly, rolling papers, or most of them, are non FSC. I've also read that this might change.

Time to out and buy a pipe?

Old 11-23-2009, 10:44 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,725,818 times
arrgggghhhhh, i'm so disgusted with this.
I still smoke a little .... letting them go slowly ... too slowly.
I smoke American Spirit (organic) and i've been assured a number of times by directly contacting the company that all they do is put three little rings around the paper and that those rings are made from ... can't remember the name at the moment but it's derived from seaweed and then there's a bit of something or other (non chemical ... spacing on the name of it too) to help bind the substance derived from seaweed and that's it.
I know the 3 little rings are there. I know when the cigarette will stop burning at these 3 places along the cigarette.
What's the story?
I'm confused and will probably start rolling my own.
If the gov. insists that rolling paper also be treated .......... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Old 11-23-2009, 10:52 AM

This is from an old post of mine when there was a long thread about the new "safe" cigarettes.

They (American Spirit) use something called alginate which is a derivative of seaweed.
>>> Alginic acid, also called algin or alginate, is a viscous gum that is abundant in the cell walls of brown algae. ...
And the woman on the phone said she believes they use a bit of starch to hold the alginate together.
There are two little invisible bands around the cigarette.
She said you'd have to remove the tobacco and turn the paper inside out to see them ... or something like that.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:00 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
I hadn't heard of these before now. Although I do not now smoke for monetary reasons, I used to, and don't have a problem with those who do.

Pipe tobacco and cigars would go out on their own, if you did not continue to puff on them--but cigarettes would burn down to the filter if left unattended for ten minutes. So I don't understand why they're having to put a chemical retardant on it. Maybe the fact that the paper holding the tobacco continues to burn causes the remainder of the tobacco to burn at the same rate, but that does not seem likely.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I hadn't heard of these before now. Although I do not now smoke for monetary reasons, I used to, and don't have a problem with those who do.

Pipe tobacco and cigars would go out on their own, if you did not continue to puff on them--but cigarettes would burn down to the filter if left unattended for ten minutes. So I don't understand why they're having to put a chemical retardant on it. Maybe the fact that the paper holding the tobacco continues to burn causes the remainder of the tobacco to burn at the same rate, but that does not seem likely.
Yeah, but in the process of burning down to the filter there is a chance (with dumb, unaware people) that a fire is started with that unattended burning cigarette if it's dropped on the bed, carpet, etc..

Old 11-23-2009, 11:10 AM

That's not what I was saying.

I was saying that they must use some sort of chemical to keep a cigarette burning now, since cigars and pipes go out on their own.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:16 AM

2,191 posts, read 4,806,615 times
It makes the cigarette taste terrible and gives me a headache. Originally they started selling them in New York only a few years ago. Then California caught on. Then Ohio. Pretty soon it will be everywhere. In my opinion it ruins the flavor of the cigarette and like I said, it gives me a headache. I only smoke when I drink so thats only a handful of times per year now...but I don't enjoy it anymore and do it more out of habit I think. I've actually considered getting an E-cigarette as they just contain the nicotine with no other harmful chemicals. In that sense I could see the smoking from it being no more harmful than drinking a pepsi.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
That's not what I was saying.

I was saying that they must use some sort of chemical to keep a cigarette burning now, since cigars and pipes go out on their own.
Oh, i see.
Well, cigar paper is really thick isn't it?
And pipes .... well, that's a different story.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:20 PM

I think cigars are wrapped with tobacco leaves, not really a paper at all. I do remember that just plain tobacco has a tendency to go out on its own--whether in cigars or in a pipe.

It's only cigarettes than continue to burn down to ash when no one is actively puffing on them...and that means, most likely, some sort of chemical is being used to keep it burning. I can recall a few being wasted by setting them down and forgetting about them--and it's worse overseas. Those things burned up like crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness