Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 03:25 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times

Advertisements

A fracture can heal is about 6 weeks, but YMMV. If she is a pig wrestler it will take longer. If she is customer service on the phone she can go back to work asap. By federal law employees are limited in their ability to fire someone for injuries even off the job. They actually cannot inquire into the nature of the problem unless she volunteers. She needs to work with her doctor (surgeon?) and he employer HR people, not with us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 05:16 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,448,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
There is no way to answer all the questions you have in this and other forums with the small amount of information we (and probably even you) have.

Even two people who apparently have the same injury will respond and heal differently. We don't know what she does for work, such as how much she is required to stand and walk and how much weight she has to lift. We don't know how she travels to work (does she have a cast? can she drive with it?). We don't know if she is taking pain meds that affect her ability to do her job or drive to work. Beyond all that, having the answers to all these questions won't really help, because the answers are what the answers are, and they won't change how soon she can go back to work, whether she's going to lose her job, or any of the other questions you have.

Your desire to help your friend is commendable, but your friend will probably be better off if she discusses these issues with someone she knows, and who is in a better position to advise her.
My friend does a job that requires driving between sites. I spoke with her today and the Dr. says she cannot drive for nine weeks. What I am doing to support her is to say they cannot fire her for a broken leg and they'll have to make accomodations for her. I figure it's best I err on the side of positive. This will help her heal better.

You do raise excellent points. I myself broke a rib and was prescribed Vicodin. I found it made me fuzzy and interfered with my job so I did not take it. It took me about six months to heal or more. It wasn't fun.

Thanks for your input.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:13 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,011,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
My friend does a job that requires driving between sites. I spoke with her today and the Dr. says she cannot drive for nine weeks. What I am doing to support her is to say they cannot fire her for a broken leg and they'll have to make accomodations for her. I figure it's best I err on the side of positive. This will help her heal better.

You do raise excellent points. I myself broke a rib and was prescribed Vicodin. I found it made me fuzzy and interfered with my job so I did not take it. It took me about six months to heal or more. It wasn't fun.

Thanks for your input.
They would be better of letting her go. If she can't find a way to make it in to work, that's her problem not the employer.

When I was in a minor car accident, my car was in the shop for 3 months, I was also a little messed up too and in pain. But they needed someone to do my job and I needed the money. they didn't care how I got to work. I ended up having my Dad drive me everyday for 3 months, it was embaressing, but I kept my job.

Looks like your friend is trying to find a way to get out of working for a few weeks.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:48 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times
A lot of the reality your friend faces depends on where she lives and if she can afford the lawyer if they do let her go.

I certainly recall folks being seriously hurt AT WORK in the South and hiding it because they knew a "lost time accident" would cost them their job and getting sick or hurt was a reason for being fired.............There was no justice ......... If I were her I would not be copping an attitude with anyone right now.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:43 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
To echo some other posters, this is something your friend will have to address directly with her employer. You won't find any answers in this or any other forum relevant to her particular situation.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:09 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
My friend does a job that requires driving between sites. I spoke with her today and the Dr. says she cannot drive for nine weeks.
Does she have short-term disability insurance, or any short-term disability accommodations from her employer? That's where I'd look first.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:20 AM

2,382 posts, read 4,590,155 times
Quote:
My friend just broke her leg yesterday and is in the hospital for surgery.

She's already in trouble at work as things stand. Does anyone know how long it takes to drive or be able to go back to work once a leg is broken?
Could be weeks, months or even years depending upon the type of fracture and any complications she may encounter. She could be driving earlier, depending on the situation as a whole. Is the vehicle automatic or standard? Which leg was broke?

Quote:
Wow, four months! Even with today's medicine, any idea as to the soonest she could be back at work? She broke it below the patella (wherever that is).

Could she lose her job over this? This is NOT a good sign for her.
She shouldn't, but she could. If an employer wants to they could find a reason that won't get them in trouble. I knew someone who, like your friend, was on really shaky ground to begin with and then had an injury that kept her from working for quite awhile. She had all of the doctor's excuses and everything but in the end they determined that due to the type of injury and what her job entailed, she was unable to perform the duties. Of course they were much more creative in their reasoning than that She lost her job and did try fighting it, but lost.

Quote:
Arizona. Thing is, she's already in trouble at work.

I am assuming it took a lot of force to break it? I suspect she was drinking at the time. This is a mess.
Not necessarily. People have broken legs from twisting them the wrong way or stepping the wrong way. It would also depend how "good" her bones were to begin with.

Quote:
Nine weeks for sure or will she need to go in earlier than that to be re-evaluated? Generally a doctor will re-evaluate at certain points to see how things are going and either extend or lessen the restrictions. More and more employers are requiring people to come back to work in a limited capacity versus having them off entirely. If your friend was given that choice and refused, they could fire her based on her unwillingness to perform the duties required.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:19 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,011,721 times
I worked with a guy who had stomach cancer, he came to work every day puking his guts out because of the chemo. Never missed a day, he sometimes took a half a day because of treatments.

Does she have a desk job or does she drive around?

Old 12-01-2009, 09:52 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
The fact she --" already is in trouble"--at her job is probably the biggest thing against her.

Since it did not happen at work ( workmen's comp) the company has little incentive to let her come back tp work early by giving her a job she can handle.

Hire a lawyer ?
Why waste money ?

Most places of employment have specific guidelines how long you can be gone from work for non work related injuries before losing your job.

I was off work twice for rotator cuff surgery ( 3 months for one,5 months for the other) The company policy allowed you 6 months before you were terminated.

The last place I worked, I would have been terminated if that happened.
6 weeks were all they allowed and you had to prove you could do every phase of your job before being allowed back. They made no exceptions !

As stated,the fact she is --"already in trouble at work"-- is probably her biggest worry cuz I doubt they will bend the rules for her.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:21 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,448,045 times
Thanks for all the replies. In posting this and other threads I have realized what a codependent I am, but that is a whole other thread.

Her job does involve driving so I don't know what she is going to do. What I know I am not going to do is to offer to be a chauffer, even though I am not working. I can just feel my blood pressure shooting up over everything and this is not good.

I cannot keep worrying about her situation. I do thank you for all of your replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness