U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 11:56 AM

4,247 posts, read 9,151,370 times

Advertisements

My friend just broke her leg yesterday and is in the hospital for surgery.

She's already in trouble at work as things stand. Does anyone know how long it takes to drive or be able to go back to work once a leg is broken?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 12:04 PM

5,007 posts, read 7,662,610 times
I had a broken left leg below my knee with a torn meniscus. I had surgery with pins inserted. I had two casts and a year of physical therapy, three times a week. I was out of work for four months. Then at the end of the year, they removed the pins. Plus I lived in a second story apartment and I had a stick shift car! Also, I had crutches and no walking cast boots like are seen everywhere today.

I was in my thirties when this happened - it also might depend on your friend's age and her general state of health.

Today though, they might give her a cast with a walking boot to get her back on her feet faster. Maybe she might be back to work sooner and quicker than ever. Medical technology is different today - lots of people have walking boots and no crutches.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
I had a broken left leg below my knee with a torn meniscus. I had surgery with pins inserted. I had two casts and a year of physical therapy, three times a week. I was out of work for four months. Then at the end of the year, they removed the pins. Plus I lived in a second story apartment and I had a stick shift car! Also, I had crutches and no walking cast boots like are seen everywhere today.

I was in my thirties when this happened - it also might depend on your friend's age and her general state of health.

Today though, they might give her a cast with a walking boot to get her back on her feet faster. Maybe she might be back to work sooner and quicker than ever. Medical technology is different today - lots of people have walking boots and no crutches.
Wow, four months! Even with today's medicine, any idea as to the soonest she could be back at work? She broke it below the patella (wherever that is).

Could she lose her job over this? This is NOT a good sign for her.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:30 PM

2,185 posts, read 3,888,771 times
I work with a nurse that had surgery on both knees. Only missed 4 days of work, she comes in everyday with crutches and works, never complains.. Toughest nurse in Texas.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:36 PM

5,007 posts, read 7,662,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Wow, four months! Even with today's medicine, any idea as to the soonest she could be back at work? She broke it below the patella (wherever that is).

Could she lose her job over this? This is NOT a good sign for her.
Did she break it near a joint? That was my problem - they operated on my knee and put my whole leg in a cast. The joint froze like a piece of wood very fast - like it had never moved! That's why I required physical therapy - and lots of it. To break up the scar tissue in the knee after the operation.

If it didn't happen near a joint, your friend may fare better than I did and heal faster.

It depends on what state your friend lives in. I've never heard of anyone in my life (though I have lived in California all my life) being fired over having a broken limb.

I wish your friend lots of luck and speedy healing.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
Did she break it near a joint? That was my problem - they operated on my knee and put my whole leg in a cast. The joint froze like a piece of wood very fast - like it had never moved! That's why I required physical therapy - and lots of it. To break up the scar tissue in the knee after the operation.

If it didn't happen near a joint, your friend may fare better than I did and heal faster.

It depends on what state your friend lives in. I've never heard of anyone in my life (though I have lived in California all my life) being fired over having a broken limb.

I wish your friend lots of luck and speedy healing.
Arizona. Thing is, she's already in trouble at work.

I am assuming it took a lot of force to break it? I suspect she was drinking at the time. This is a mess.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:44 PM

4,805 posts, read 19,556,085 times
Too many factors to say. The exact nature of the fracture and any other injury. The health of the patient. The type of procedure done--sometimes there is more than one way of fixing something. One doctor will choose a particular treatment because he/she thinks it results in a more solid repair, even though the recovery time is slower; others will choose a repair that heals quicker but may cause more arthritis or pain down the road. Some doctors eagerly implement new or experimental procedures, others won't.

Old 11-29-2009, 01:06 PM

3,627 posts, read 12,400,342 times
Too much to say. I broke my fibula and was out for 8 weeks. Saw a teenager with a similar but not exact injury on crutches in a few days and I am no wuss. It was the nature of the break.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:32 PM

12,054 posts, read 19,640,051 times
Your friend needs to check with her employer to see if they will allow her to come to work. I broke my shoulder and arm two years ago and could not go back to work until released by my doctor. That was 4 months.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:00 PM

10,089 posts, read 10,604,044 times
There is no way to answer all the questions you have in this and other forums with the small amount of information we (and probably even you) have.

Even two people who apparently have the same injury will respond and heal differently. We don't know what she does for work, such as how much she is required to stand and walk and how much weight she has to lift. We don't know how she travels to work (does she have a cast? can she drive with it?). We don't know if she is taking pain meds that affect her ability to do her job or drive to work. Beyond all that, having the answers to all these questions won't really help, because the answers are what the answers are, and they won't change how soon she can go back to work, whether she's going to lose her job, or any of the other questions you have.

Your desire to help your friend is commendable, but your friend will probably be better off if she discusses these issues with someone she knows, and who is in a better position to advise her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness