U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 02:15 PM

2,115 posts, read 4,388,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Glad I'm not the only one who has that f***ed up feeling when I'm coming out of a nap. I thought it was just me. I also tend to avoid daytime or early evening naps unless I'm totally wiped. I envy those folks who can take a quick nap and come out of it feeling refreshed.
Word.

Those people who go on and on about how much they love naps...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 02:16 PM

25,907 posts, read 34,966,446 times
I try not to nap for more than 30 minutes for that reason. Longer naps just mess me up. I set a timer or ask my husband to wake me at a certain time.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:45 PM

16,227 posts, read 21,978,457 times
Yep...for some reason, I feel guilty when I take a nap, but its getting much easier with each one.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:39 PM

5,007 posts, read 7,662,610 times
This is a strange thread because I took a nap today for the first time in months! It was a long nap, too - like an hour and a half. But I woke up refreshed, and didn't feel guilty or like I missed out on anything.

My ex-husband used to take 20 minute naps. He said he read somewhere that's all we really need. I never really felt those 20 minutes.

I do feel like some of the people on this thread - that by taking a nap you're missing out on life. But for some reason today, I NEEDED to take one.

Now, watch, I'll be up til midnight, reading or watching TV.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:50 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,876,356 times
I have fallen asleep in the afternoon/evening only to wake up very disoriented, like forgetting who I am, or where I am.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:06 PM

543 posts, read 939,251 times
I have the same problem when I take naps for longer than 30 mins. I wake up feeling tired and down, i feel totally off.

Today i dozed off sitting up for about 25 mins, felt alright when I woke up.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:22 PM

3,284 posts, read 2,725,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
I don't think it's a panic attack because the feelings are much more mellower if that makes any sense.

It's as if I'm in this dull, disorientated state in which I feel very out of touch with myself and life.

It's so weird! I hate feeling like that, especially because it's so foreign to me.
I know exactly what you are going through. Happens to me all the time. Days following some heavy drinking I will often find myself very anxious, almost borderline panic attack status. When I start to calm down and feel normal, daytime naps do just exactly that.

It can also happen during times of stress or anything else that may trigger anxiety. (caffeine, alcohol, etc.)

Just roll with it. My trigger is drinking so I have cut wayyy back.

Last edited by Jays1983; 12-01-2009 at 08:32 PM..

Old 12-03-2009, 12:24 AM

574 posts, read 1,161,071 times
Wow!! I thought I was the only one. I love the internet LOL. I hate taking naps because I feel that same feeling.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:05 AM

25,165 posts, read 47,301,031 times
It could be senility and dementia. I'd get a brain scan if I were you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
Occasionally, I'll take a nap in the afternoon. However, whenever I wake up in the evening, I find myself in this strange, urgent mood.

It's a mixture of depressed, disorientated, calm panic/anxiety, and a general sense of being lost and confused with my lost. I also feel like I missed out on something or I'm wasting my life away because I took a nap. A sense of urgency also encompasses me, although I'm not quite sure for what.

Am I the only one like this? I try to avoid naps because of the aftereffects. The feelings and moods that happen afterwards are very out of character for me, and usually go away the next day after a night's sleep.

No, I'm not depressed, suicidal, or experiencing any trauma, and no, I haven't dealt with any of that in the past.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:34 AM

13 posts, read 42,509 times
I used to have that same feeling of waking up from a nap in a confused state and feeling anxious. I was going through post-partum depression at the time and the doctors seemed baffled when I'd mention this feeling. I then started taking Effexor and this went away immediately. Haven't had that feeling in 10 years even though I've been off the Effexor for several years. Recently, the feeling has come back, so I'm starting to take Effexor again. It's an awful feeling and the doctors always would ask me what I was thinking that brought it on and I would say "nothing"!! There is no time to think when I would wake up, this awful feeling just came out of nowhere! Anyway...it is nothing life threatening, just some stress in your life that causes it. If it is bothersome, you may want to try an anti-depressant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness