Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 11:36 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,017,607 times

Advertisements

I took a 6-hour nap the other day from noon to six pm and I woke up fine and refreshed. Of course, I was tired enough to guarantee that the nap would be a good one lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 11:58 AM

42,831 posts, read 87,929,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
I took a 6-hour nap the other day from noon to six pm and I woke up fine and refreshed. Of course, I was tired enough to guarantee that the nap would be a good one lol.
That's SOME nap - it's most people's worth of night sleep.

I feel groggy after napping, too. Also, the most weird dreams seem to happen during naps. Even though naps feel blissful sometimes, I've almost started avoiding them as I don't feel good afterwards.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:55 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,222,814 times
Been there, done that. Have you ever woke up in the middle of the night thinking it was morning and said oh s*** and jumped out of bed? You think you are late for work because you overslept. In all the confusion you look at a clock and calm down.LOL......

Old 12-20-2009, 03:39 PM

44,915 posts, read 59,905,934 times
Quote:
It's definitely for more than an hour, although I don't intend for them to be. I'm just so tired that I unconsciously turn off the alarms on my cell phone that are supposed to limit my nap to 30 minutes.

The only time I take naps is when I am very tired and haven't had much sleep. Or the afternoon after I've pulled an all-nighter for school. I know, bad bad bad.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one like this though! I was beginning to think I was a little strange lol.

There's your problem, you're sleeping long enough to go to Stage 4 sleep, which is deep sleep where your brain shuts down (well the cerebral cortex, your cerebrum keeps you breathing, digesting, etc.) to replenish the chemicals it needs to operate. A disoriented feeling waking out of Stage 4 is more common than not, that's probably what's happening. Try just power napping, 10 to 15 minutes at most. Longer, or if you're really tired, slams you down to Stage 4.

Old 12-20-2009, 03:47 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,596,385 times
Wonder if there is some apnea there. During the night it might occur and you fall asleep without noticing. During the afternoon nap it amounts to a jolt and perhaps an alarm (brain things oh crap, need air, part of the fight or flight response.)

Old 12-20-2009, 09:32 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,508,846 times
Quote:
Occasionally, I'll take a nap in the afternoon. However, whenever I wake up in the evening, I find myself in this strange, urgent mood.

It's a mixture of depressed, disorientated, calm panic/anxiety, and a general sense of being lost and confused with my lost. I also feel like I missed out on something or I'm wasting my life away because I took a nap. A sense of urgency also encompasses me, although I'm not quite sure for what.

Am I the only one like this? I try to avoid naps because of the aftereffects. The feelings and moods that happen afterwards are very out of character for me, and usually go away the next day after a night's sleep.

No, I'm not depressed, suicidal, or experiencing any trauma, and no, I haven't dealt with any of that in the past.
You know what they say, those who nap are slacking off in life, and you know what happens to slackers? They get eaten by the langoliers!!!
Just kidding.
As long as it doesn't interfere with regular sleep and not excessive; listen to your body, take a nap.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:48 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,008,876 times
Quote:
Occasionally, I'll take a nap in the afternoon. However, whenever I wake up in the evening, I find myself in this strange, urgent mood.

It's a mixture of depressed, disorientated, calm panic/anxiety, and a general sense of being lost and confused with my lost. I also feel like I missed out on something or I'm wasting my life away because I took a nap. A sense of urgency also encompasses me, although I'm not quite sure for what.

Am I the only one like this? I try to avoid naps because of the aftereffects. The feelings and moods that happen afterwards are very out of character for me, and usually go away the next day after a night's sleep.

No, I'm not depressed, suicidal, or experiencing any trauma, and no, I haven't dealt with any of that in the past.
When you sleep your body manufactures Serotonin. This is a neurotransmitter which affects perception and mood. Most notably people who take medications that are Serotonin Re-uptake Inhibitors (SSRI's), such as Prozac and Zoloft, report many of the same feelings that you describe because they have more Serotonin in their body than they would otherwise.

Serotonin is also responsible for dream induction and often people who have an over abundance feel as though they are in a waking dream, or find that if they close their eyes they enter an unreal dream-like state that is difficult o understand and deal with.

If these feelings bother you, then the best advice would be simply not to take naps. But at least you know that these feelings are completely normal under the circumstances.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-21-2009, 04:56 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,383,884 times
Something strange happened to me in the weekend sleep related. Woke up after about 4-5 hours sleep which obviously isn't enough.....and felt like a million dollars, far better than usual, had been sleeping a regular amount prior....... no idea why I felt that good on so little sleep.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:41 AM

44,915 posts, read 59,905,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Something strange happened to me in the weekend sleep related. Woke up after about 4-5 hours sleep which obviously isn't enough.....and felt like a million dollars, far better than usual, had been sleeping a regular amount prior....... no idea why I felt that good on so little sleep.
You really get that much sleep? I wish I got 5 hours on a regular basis.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:48 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,383,884 times
Uusally get 8 hours per night, just found it strange I felt so good after 4-5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness