U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2009, 10:06 PM

2,115 posts, read 4,388,212 times

Advertisements

Occasionally, I'll take a nap in the afternoon. However, whenever I wake up in the evening, I find myself in this strange, urgent mood.

It's a mixture of depressed, disorientated, calm panic/anxiety, and a general sense of being lost and confused with my lost. I also feel like I missed out on something or I'm wasting my life away because I took a nap. A sense of urgency also encompasses me, although I'm not quite sure for what.

Am I the only one like this? I try to avoid naps because of the aftereffects. The feelings and moods that happen afterwards are very out of character for me, and usually go away the next day after a night's sleep.

No, I'm not depressed, suicidal, or experiencing any trauma, and no, I haven't dealt with any of that in the past.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 10:08 PM

13,779 posts, read 23,205,335 times
I never take naps because I hate the thought of missing any part of life...life was not always this way but I was very ill several years ago and my entire life changed.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:10 PM

829 posts, read 2,504,518 times
well it sounds like something similar to what i would have after waking up from a sleep with a panic attack...nothing in the sleep would make me panic, but when i would wake up at that point id feel a bad panic attack coming on ...and some of those lost, out of the body type feelings would occur.

similar?

Old 11-30-2009, 10:14 PM

2,115 posts, read 4,388,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticViking View Post
well it sounds like something similar to what i would have after waking up from a sleep with a panic attack...nothing in the sleep would make me panic, but when i would wake up at that point id feel a bad panic attack coming on ...and some of those lost, out of the body type feelings would occur.

similar?
I don't think it's a panic attack because the feelings are much more mellower if that makes any sense.

It's as if I'm in this dull, disorientated state in which I feel very out of touch with myself and life.

It's so weird! I hate feeling like that, especially because it's so foreign to me.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:27 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,138,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
I don't think it's a panic attack because the feelings are much more mellower if that makes any sense.

It's as if I'm in this dull, disorientated state in which I feel very out of touch with myself and life.

It's so weird! I hate feeling like that, especially because it's so foreign to me.
I know exactly how you feel; this happens to me, too. It's not just during the day, but also if I nod off while watching a program in the evening. I wake up with this empty feeling but I can't put my finger on what is wrong, and I am also in a "dull, disoriented state." This doesn't veer into full-fledged panic attack territory for me, but leaves me feeling not-quite-right for the remainder of the evening. I have once woken up from such a nap and burst into tears, but had no idea why. For these reasons, I try not to succumb to sleepiness until I'm ready to go to bed, because this does not happen when I awake from regular sleep.

I wonder if many others experience this!

Old 11-30-2009, 10:28 PM

45,270 posts, read 86,025,648 times
Quote:
Occasionally, I'll take a nap in the afternoon. However, whenever I wake up in the evening, I find myself in this strange, urgent mood.

It's a mixture of depressed, disorientated, calm panic/anxiety, and a general sense of being lost and confused with my lost. I also feel like I missed out on something or I'm wasting my life away because I took a nap. A sense of urgency also encompasses me, although I'm not quite sure for what.

Am I the only one like this? I try to avoid naps because of the aftereffects. The feelings and moods that happen afterwards are very out of character for me, and usually go away the next day after a night's sleep.

No, I'm not depressed, suicidal, or experiencing any trauma, and no, I haven't dealt with any of that in the past.
Not sure, but I think you are throwing off your circadium rhythms somehow when you nap and wake up in the "evening" when the daylight is all gone. Do some reading on that, maybe it will explain these symptoms to you scientifically so that you might not want to nap like this anymore

Old 11-30-2009, 10:30 PM

2,637 posts, read 3,879,052 times
I like me a little afternoon nap--I feel right as rain after. ready to face the rest of my day. (Which seems to never end.)

Old 11-30-2009, 10:31 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,551,450 times
Quote:

I do that and I call it groggy

Old 11-30-2009, 10:36 PM

9,163 posts, read 16,510,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I never take naps because I hate the thought of missing any part of life...life was not always this way but I was very ill several years ago and my entire life changed.

Interesting, Mrstewart. I fight going to sleep at night for the same reason. I wonder if it started when I was very ill and not expected to live. Naps I can handle, because they don't last long, and I seldom fall into a deep sleep.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:14 AM

7,458 posts, read 11,122,379 times
Hey if something Isn't working you need to make changes. GL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness