U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 03:26 PM

457 posts, read 1,743,048 times

Advertisements

My 15 year old was at a wrestling match yesterday and around 7:40 pm he sends me a text message that he can't hear. I told him to ask the coach if this was normal and the coach didn't know. About an hour later, I get a call from the coach to pick up my son because he has double vision, can't hear, dizzy and nauseous. I went to get him, he looked so bad, I took him to the ER at the nearby hospital. After 2 CAT scans, everything came back normal.
They released him. Today he seems to feel a little better, but still feels off.
When I speak to him, if he is not looking at me, he has no idea I am talking.
If I speak very, very loud, he hears me, but sometimes, he doesn't understand the words. It's like he's not hearing words but just sounds.
I can't seem to find any infomation if this is normal with a concussion. The Doctor didn't seem to know too much since she never experienced this. I am taking him to the neurologist on monday as per the doctors instruction. I am so upset over this. When I picked him up last night, it was so strange that he couldn't hear anything. The doctor and nurse had to yell in his ear to communicate. At one point, I tried writting words, he couldn' t even read them. There were judges and coaches watching the match, not one of them saw him get hurt. My son can't remember anything that happened. I'm also wondering why the coaches didn't pick up on the fact that he may have had a concussion if his hearing was lost. Is that one of the signs? I am so confused and angry and I feel like they didn't care or feel that he was in bad enough shape to take him to the ER instead of waiting for me to get there. Maybe I am over reacting as I have only one child. But something doesn't add up. If anyone every had this problem with the hearing, I would love to know what happened and did you recover 100%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 05:30 PM

19,631 posts, read 53,481,140 times
Not to scare you but this sounds like more than a concussion. Mild traumatic brain injury? The loss of memory and lack of reading comprehension are most concerning. If he is the least bit worse tomorrow, I would take him to a large, teaching hospital if one is available.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:50 PM

978 posts, read 1,869,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Not to scare you but this sounds like more than a concussion. Mild traumatic brain injury? The loss of memory and lack of reading comprehension are most concerning. If he is the least bit worse tomorrow, I would take him to a large, teaching hospital if one is available.

I agree with the above post. Another thing to keep in mind is that many kids that have concussions do not remember what happened immediately after the concussion such as the remainder of the match if they finished the match, and a few minutes after the match. Nausea and headaches is typical with concussions.

Not hearing and not being able to read is a little concerning due to the fact that I have not witnessed that in kids that have had concussions. Depending on the severity of the concussion it may take a couple of days before headaches go away.

Happyspring, please keep us posted and I hope for a speedy recovery for your son.

Last edited by observer; 12-05-2009 at 07:40 PM..

Old 12-05-2009, 07:03 PM

7,079 posts, read 33,727,881 times
I also agree. More than a concussion.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:04 PM

He wasn't able to read because of the blurred vision. The hearing is the main issue. I tested his reading today and he was able to read what I gave him.
Now his front teeth hurt. Very strange. Didn't hurt at the ER, started today.

I'll see how it goes tomorrow. I can always take him back to the hospital, but a hospital I know and trust.

Hopefully the neurologist will know more. The hearing concerns me greatly.
It's been 24 hours now since we were at the ER. At least it isn't getting worse. But whats up with the teeth.

And to top if off, he can't wait to get back to wrestling. When do my nightmares end ?!?!!?

Old 12-05-2009, 07:47 PM

978 posts, read 1,869,445 times
It is possible that his front teeth hurts due to colliding with his opponent and getting hit on the face/head area hitting his teeth. In fact, it is highly likely that when he suffered his concussion part of the impact was either landing on his face or an accidentaly head butt with his opponent.

Hope the hearing situation comes back to normal. Based on the info. you posted, even though he wants to wrestle ASAP, he may not be cleared to do so for at least a week or more from the concussion.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:53 PM

observer - that is probably what happened. Too bad he can't remember.
I am in no rush for him to go back to wrestling or any sport for that matter.
I will follow doctors orders.

Thank you for your well wishes. Can't wait until this is all behind us.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:31 PM

19,631 posts, read 53,481,140 times
The neurologist will be able to advise you better than us but there are guidelines for returning to sports after concussions. I think it's longer than 1 week.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:01 PM

4,497 posts, read 6,151,126 times
Google "Second Impact Syndrome"

Old 12-07-2009, 07:20 PM

Second Impact Syndrome - I googled it thanks. But I don't think it is that.

Today the neurologist told me to take him for an MRI and just a quick look at it they didn't see anything unusual. However, they still need to read it thru and give the report to the doctor. So I'll know more tomorrow.

Tomorrow I am taking him to the Ear Nose Throat doctor to have a good look in his ears. Every doctor I've taken him to hasn't looked in his ears. I did some research and found with head trauma, the following could happen:
    • Perilymph fistula
    • Temporal bone fracture - this was ruled out by the Cat Scan & MRI
    • Labyrinthine concussion
    • Iatrogenic injury
    • Barotrauma
    • Cervical vertigo
On Wednesday the neurologist is doing a EEK & brain stem test.
All the doctors so far are confused as to his hearing loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness