U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 09-08-2010, 10:39 AM

1,150 posts, read 2,673,767 times
I started having ringing in the ears about a few months back and along with
that came anxiety.Im in menopause so thats what the anxiety is about ,but when I went to the ENT she said anxiety can cause ringing and sound sensitivity. I am on an anti-depressant for the anxiety and the ringing and sound sens have subsided considerably. Actually the anxiety was first then the ringing!

greenchili

Last edited by Greenchili; 09-08-2010 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: clarification
Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-10-2010, 07:32 PM

10,455 posts, read 4,576,014 times
i have tinnitus related to tmj syndrome and deafness. i get ringing and i hear things like phones ringing, ambulances in the distance, and people calling me that i couldn't possibly be hearing from my environment. loudness varies for me too. the vicodin i'm taking right now makes it a lot worse.

Unread 09-10-2010, 08:06 PM

1,894 posts, read 3,530,167 times
I have had it since I was about 12 or 13. Mine is a ringing with a hissing mixed in. Sometimes when I really exert myself doing things it can get really bad and loud. I keep my ears clean as I caught some kind of a virus or some such, in Tennseessee that makes the inside of my ears really itchy, and I haven't had any luck getting rid of that and I have a drainage sometimes from them also. The docs can't find a way to stop it.
It (the ringing) has went down to almost "silence"a few time over the last year or two. I wonder if it is my continual weight loss. Going on 40 years living with it.

Unread 09-10-2010, 08:28 PM

25,005 posts, read 7,030,803 times
Yes they are ringing right now!! It's been about 3 to 4 years now.

Unread 09-17-2010, 05:29 AM

7,191 posts, read 7,163,513 times
I read an article a couple of years back and it said that nearly everyone has some ringing in their ears, but many people are so successful at ignoring it that they don't even realize they have it. At that point I decided I was going to ignore mine too, and it hasn't bothered me nearly as much as it did--in fact, until I read this, I realized I haven't noticed it in over a year. I have wondered about that article though--if someone doesn't know they have tinnitis, how do the docs or whoever did that study actually measure it? I'm assuming it would have to be self reported, right?

Unread 09-17-2010, 07:04 PM

622 posts, read 516,196 times
MSG and other food additives can cause this.
I have it. In fact I can hear 3 sounds; ringing, roaring and humming.
When I eat the foods containing the things I am sensitive to it gets worse.
It interferers with my hearing people talking.
Sometimes my own voice sounds like it is coming from behind a door.

One time could have sworn someone in the neighborhood was running a really loud engine of some sort. I almost called the next door neighbor to see if she heard it.
That evening my son suggested that I put my hands over my ears...I did, and I still heard it!
So it was in my head not outside.

Unread 09-19-2010, 11:57 PM

1,577 posts, read 874,783 times
Default Unpleasant or pleasant -- or, at least, acceptable

I will have to go back and read what everyone else said, but yes, I have it. Had it for years. Initially, it was highly irritating, then I realized that although I live in Northwestern U.S.A., I have the sweet sound of a southern summer night in my head. When I realized that, it suddenly became acceptable! It reminds me of my more pleasant evenings in Mississippi as a preteen.

Church was finally over in the tiny, swealtering country church. I left the glare of the hot, bare lightbulbs hanging from long wires and stepped out into the night. Crickets and frogs, somewhere in the nearby swamp greeted me. Fireflies flashed neon lights in the coolness of the night, which always surprised me. All else was quiet as I left the adults in their good-byes and handshakes, heading toward the car and what I knew would be a pleasant sleep curled up in the back seat on the way home, rocked by the roadway.

But the crickets and frogs were not just in the swamp. They sang freely as we drove down the country road to our city home and still sang there until I fell asleep in my bed. Silent in the morning, I could look forward to them almost nightly, when it was not winter.

Unread 02-12-2011, 05:51 PM

1 posts, read 802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KidsforMe View Post
Hi. Just wondering if anyone else suffers with this. Last July my head started buzzing/ringing one night, and it has never stopped. I'm a healthy person, nearing 40. I've been to 2 ENT docs, had a battery of hearing tests (perfect hearing) and scans, full blood workup etc... Nothing is wrong, my head just rings/buzzes most of the time. It sounds like a dental drill in my brain. Sometimes super loud, sometimes not so bad. I even get weird tones in my ears. It's driving me nut! Docs have put me on anti-axiety meds just so I can sleep. They also don't think it is going to go away. Apparently this is not a "un-common" problem. Who knew?

My boyfriend loss his hearing on the right hear two months ago. He also has constant ringing in the right ear. There are times that the ringing goes low but most of the time the ringing is constantly. He has seen (3) Ent. The first Ent stated he had internal ear fistula and the 2nd ent stated he did not have internal ear fistula. The third ent injected his right ear with steroids. We are hoping and praying this will be the cure. He has also been put on anti-axiety meds to help him relax.

Unread 02-15-2011, 04:56 PM

935 posts, read 1,426,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagann04 View Post
My boyfriend loss his hearing on the right hear two months ago. He also has constant ringing in the right ear. There are times that the ringing goes low but most of the time the ringing is constantly. He has seen (3) Ent. The first Ent stated he had internal ear fistula and the 2nd ent stated he did not have internal ear fistula. The third ent injected his right ear with steroids. We are hoping and praying this will be the cure. He has also been put on anti-axiety meds to help him relax.
I have been using Lipo Flavonoid. You can buy it at Walmart. Take one a day and after a week the noise gets lower. I have been using it for 2 years. I sometimes forget to take it and the noise comes back, but I start over and it works again. The last time I took 2 per day until it worked and now I am back to one a day. PM me if you have any questions!

Unread 02-16-2011, 07:15 PM

19,947 posts, read 19,092,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxy38 View Post
I have been using Lipo Flavonoid. You can buy it at Walmart. Take one a day and after a week the noise gets lower. I have been using it for 2 years. I sometimes forget to take it and the noise comes back, but I start over and it works again. The last time I took 2 per day until it worked and now I am back to one a day. PM me if you have any questions!
I took them a few years ago, I had to take three a day and they helped a lot for about six months then stopped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness