U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2009, 03:36 AM

1,004 posts, read 482,591 times

Advertisements

Without boring you guys and gals to death I'll sum up the scenario. For the last few years I've been contemplating rather I should stay in the same career and finish school or switch careers in an attempt to hopefully fulfill my needs of a rewarding career. I get paid really well considering I'm 26 years old, just a bit burned out and feel as if i'm rotting away. In an attempt to get away from it all, I'm on a 2 week vacation. My sleeping habits are horrible, I play out over and over in mind what would happen if I were to fail at choosing a different career and I think I'm literally on the verge of losing my mind or just giving up everything and hitchhiking through Tasmania or New Zealand. I have the intense level of frustration and severe lack of concentration when doing independent studying/reading to the point where I my head hurts for days at a time. I just don't know what I need to do to get out of this rut. I almost feel as if I'm suffering from depression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 07:19 AM

19,651 posts, read 53,664,683 times
JUst based on what you have said, I'd suggest staying w/your current employer to finish school in a field you really like. Would they pay for college? Most do. You could stand it w/the thought that in X years you would be free to quit and do what you really want to do. A degree almost always helps in getting a new job!

Counseling can help you cope w/it. Your employer may offer benefits that would help pay for that, too. Sometimes people have to try a few counselors to find one that they "clkick" with. Good luck!

Old 12-08-2009, 11:34 AM

2,903 posts, read 11,186,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moddestmike View Post
Without boring you guys and gals to death I'll sum up the scenario. For the last few years I've been contemplating rather I should stay in the same career and finish school or switch careers in an attempt to hopefully fulfill my needs of a rewarding career. I get paid really well considering I'm 26 years old, just a bit burned out and feel as if i'm rotting away. In an attempt to get away from it all, I'm on a 2 week vacation. My sleeping habits are horrible, I play out over and over in mind what would happen if I were to fail at choosing a different career and I think I'm literally on the verge of losing my mind or just giving up everything and hitchhiking through Tasmania or New Zealand. I have the intense level of frustration and severe lack of concentration when doing independent studying/reading to the point where I my head hurts for days at a time. I just don't know what I need to do to get out of this rut. I almost feel as if I'm suffering from depression.
As i see it:
As long as you can fulfill your basic needs of housing and food and clothing, follow your heart and respect your desire to find a life that's rewarding regardless if it means that you'll make less money.
I don't know how you define failure, but being unhappy and feeling like you're in a rut just 'cause you're making good money doesn't = success to me. Does it to you?
Happiness and peace and balance and health and respect for yourself because you're doing what you want and not what you're supposed to do is more important than succeeding measured by income.
And if you're serious about going to New Zealand, maybe it would be a good idea in order to get some perspective.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:48 AM

8,415 posts, read 34,400,275 times
When you "fail" it just means you have to get up. Its not forever. Before you change the major things like a job or a major, try looking for new things to do or meet new people. Just in case your blue from the day to day everyday same old same old.

Maybe you should just take a year off. School comes in many forms. Not just the kind you pay for. Whatever you do finish something with school. Many people change majors and have this late 20's burn out thing. Trust me, you are not alone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness