Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 11:21 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,026,589 times

Advertisements

who is actually planning on losing her virginity soon...lol

I've never dabbled w/ birth control before but some of my friends are on it & I actually want to get on it for the first time, I'm 20 yrs old (about to be 21 this Thursday), a college senior & have never used it before...will it be damaging to my "insides"? I need all the info I can get...Thanks

Old 07-13-2009, 11:31 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Talk to your OB/GYN about what the best option is for you. Some people don't like hormonal birth control and its side effects. And do your research, as well. Planned Parenthood is one of many sites that offers resources on a variety of methods of contraception and their relative efficacy.
Birth Control - Planned Parenthood

Old 07-13-2009, 11:33 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Personally I would have a candid conversation with your OB/gyn about your needs and concerns.

In these days, I personally would use birth control pills and condoms, birth control pills of course keep you from getting pregnant when used properly but they don't keep you from getting an STD. If you plan on being sexually active, you want protection from both.

There are many different types of BCP, some very low doose, some that help with your acne to the pills that make you have a period only 3-4 times in a year.

Its always best to speak to a doctor. One persons experience with a certain form of birth control doesn't necessarily mean you will have the same experience.

For example after I had my daughter, I used the Depo shot, I had it once every three months and it worked really well except for the fact that I already had fibrocystic changes in my breasts and this made it worse, so eventually I got off the shots and back on the same pills I had taken since I was 19. That might not happen to you, I have known alot of people who prefer it since they only have to take one shot every 3 months rather then taking a pill every night.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:36 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Please talk to your doctor. He or she will be able to point you in the right direction to your needs.

But honestly, every woman reacts differently. I've only ever had an issue once with any of the different kinds of birth control pill that I've been on- if anything they've been a lifesaver in almost eliminating cramping that could knock me off of my feet for days. However, that birth control pill (can't remember which) upped my blood pressure and essentially started to change the shape of my eyes (contacts started popping out). I went straight to the doctor and the next pill was no problem. Other women have gotten mood swings, gained weight, or had other side effects. Just be open to switching around in the first few months.

I don't really know anyone who is a fan of the injection (can cause serious side effects at what seems to be a higher rate than on the pill) or the patch, but a few of my friends swear by the ring. You don't yet qualify for the IUD which is generally only inserted after you've had at least one child.

Keep in mind that you'll need a pap smear and pelvic exam before being put on any kind of birth control and will also need to follow up yearly in order to renew the prescription. That's a healthy and necessary practice regardless of sexual activity or BC usage as it will catch reproductive system problems early.

Good luck and don't stress! Also, make sure you always use a 2nd form of birth control. My choice is either the pill and a condom or the pill and pulling out. While the risk of getting pregnant while correctly using the pill is very low, I don't want to risk it.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:28 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post

I've never dabbled w/ birth control before but some of my friends are on it & I actually want to get on it for the first time, I'm 20 yrs old (about to be 21 this Thursday), a college senior & have never used it before...will it be damaging to my "insides"? I need all the info I can get...Thanks
Pap and pelvic with HPV screen and Gardasil vaccination. Condoms can help protect against STD. NuvaRing is quite popular, IUD, Depo Provera use is associated with increased incidence of osteoporosis in young women. Student health services can help and many run excellent information sessions about this very topic. Think long and hard about this decision to "...losing her virginity soon..."

Old 07-14-2009, 12:32 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
I have one child to show condoms don't always work even when they don't break, and one child to show birth control pills also don't always work even when you take them faithfully.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:06 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
A trip to Planned Parenthood, immediately. We've supported their efforts for years. In fact, given the overpopulation, just get the tubes cut. (Said in humor, of course that choice is most definitely YOURS, though do realize it IS an option.)

Best wishes, however you go.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:43 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,979,824 times
I'd recommend doubling up on barrier methods (condoms plus spermicide) rather than to start taking hormonal birth control. Hormonal BC can cause various side effects, mess with your future fertility, and make you more prone to blood clots, strokes, etc. If you are a smoker, absolutely do not take hormonal bc. You can also learn about fertility awareness, and abstain during your fertile times (and be sure to use a condom when you're not fertile if you're not in a long term monogamous relationship, or if you and your partner have not been tested for STDs). Toni Weschler's Taking Charge of Your Fertility is chock-full of good information that every woman should know about her body anyway. Good luck!

Old 07-14-2009, 10:53 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,722,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post

my opinion:
don't mess with your hormones.
don't mess with your cycles.
use a diaphram.
it's easy and it's safe and if you have a good partner, he'll put up with the slight inconvenience involved in timing issues which sometimes occur.
that's the kind of guy you wanna lose your virginity with anyway ... in my opinion.
simple.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:35 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
You might try this old one...

Take one aspirin

place between knees

and hold aspirin in place

with knees...

Never fails.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness