Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 08:33 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times

Advertisements

I have what I think is a simple case of food poisoning. I dealt with expulsions from both ends from 10:00 last night until 5:30 this morning. After I got home from work at about 10:30 a.m. after working for three hours, I was able to keep some Gatorade down. I've rested on and off for the last nine hours, but I now have a fever of 100 degrees. For me, because my normal temp is 97.5, this would be like a normal 98.6 person having a fever of 101.

My body aches a little, and my head aches quite a bit. Should I continue to let this fever run its course? I had a piece of toast half an hour ago even though I'm not feeling hungry, just to see if it would stay down. So far I feel fine in that respect. *phew* Should I take ibuprofen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 08:40 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Tylenol is better at bringing down a fever. If you can keep the Gatorade down, I'd just stay hydrated and see what happens before trying to eat anything. I had a less severe instance of this today, after eating at an unfamiliar fast-food place (well, the chain is familair, just not the locaiton).

Old 12-08-2009, 08:56 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,492,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I have what I think is a simple case of food poisoning. I dealt with expulsions from both ends from 10:00 last night until 5:30 this morning. After I got home from work at about 10:30 a.m. after working for three hours, I was able to keep some Gatorade down. I've rested on and off for the last nine hours, but I now have a fever of 100 degrees. For me, because my normal temp is 97.5, this would be like a normal 98.6 person having a fever of 101.

My body aches a little, and my head aches quite a bit. Should I continue to let this fever run its course? I had a piece of toast half an hour ago even though I'm not feeling hungry, just to see if it would stay down. So far I feel fine in that respect. *phew* Should I take ibuprofen?
There is a possibility that you may have H1N1 influenza. Some people have gastric issues with it, combined with fever and achiness.

Be sure to keep yourself hydrated and hopefully in a few days you'll start to feel better.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:03 PM

It's my understanding that the flu is an upper respiratory infection. My upper respiratory tract is just fine. But thanks for the response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
There is a possibility that you may have H1N1 influenza. Some people have gastric issues with it, combined with fever and achiness.

Be sure to keep yourself hydrated and hopefully in a few days you'll start to feel better.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:04 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,826,984 times
SandyCo, I am a firm believer in letting a low-grade fever run it's course. It is your body's way of fighting whatever bacteria/virus happens to be attacking your system. If it gets high enough to start damaging your body THEN you need to lower it.

I've had Food Poisoning a couple of times over the years and my best advice is to let the fever fight the toxins and drink plenty of fluids to flush out your system and keep you hydrated.

After the *worst* is over, Tylenol or Ibuprofen can help with the residual muscle aches.

I've always followed the B.R.A.T. diet when starting solid foods too. (Banana, Rice, Applesauce, Toast) in small quantities until your stomach settles...nibbling Saltine Crackers always stayed down best for me.

Feel better soon!

Old 12-08-2009, 09:06 PM

I must be weird then, because Tylenol has never had any effect on me. I took one Ibuprofen to see if it has any effect, and I'm still drinking the Gatorade.

Sorry you experienced this (albeit a milder version)! I do have to say that the human body is very good at expelling toxins; the process itself is disgusting and downright painful at times, but how many people would die from food poisoning otherwise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Tylenol is better at bringing down a fever. If you can keep the Gatorade down, I'd just stay hydrated and see what happens before trying to eat anything. I had a less severe instance of this today, after eating at an unfamiliar fast-food place (well, the chain is familair, just not the locaiton).

Old 12-08-2009, 09:10 PM

Thanks, LadyRobyn! I appreciate your input. Apple sauce sounds good. The toast is staying put, so I think I'm finally on the mend. *phew* I've always been very healthy, so when this happens I get very impatient. I want to be well again right now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
SandyCo, I am a firm believer in letting a low-grade fever run it's course. It is your body's way of fighting whatever bacteria/virus happens to be attacking your system. If it gets high enough to start damaging your body THEN you need to lower it.

I've had Food Poisoning a couple of times over the years and my best advice is to let the fever fight the toxins and drink plenty of fluids to flush out your system and keep you hydrated.

After the *worst* is over, Tylenol or Ibuprofen can help with the residual muscle aches.

I've always followed the B.R.A.T. diet when starting solid foods too. (Banana, Rice, Applesauce, Toast) in small quantities until your stomach settles...nibbling Saltine Crackers always stayed down best for me.

Feel better soon!

Old 12-08-2009, 10:17 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times
my doctor and the kid's pediatrician always say leave the fever alone for 24 hours unless it makes the person very uncomfortable. Fever fights infection.

Glad you're better now though.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:47 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,936,722 times
I like the fever advice I read some years back in "How to Have a Healthy Child in Spite of Your Doctor." I remember there were a few things in that book to take with a grain of salt, but I found his recommendations re fevers to be very good.

I do not medicate for fevers. I do use extra vitamin C to bowel tolerance and SmartWater for hydration. I cut out all sugars when I feel like I'm coming down with something.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:04 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
I've had many manymedical personel tell us that,regardless of how low your usual temperature is a 'fever' is still only considered as such over 100.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness