U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 04:54 PM

6,262 posts, read 16,959,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
Well, let's confuse the situation even more.

Nurse just called from my current doctor and said that as of my last blood test done in their office (in June of this year), my enzymes were completely normal (said they were 35 and 34, respectively).

Said that the ER readings could be an anomoly due to alchohol consumtion or tyonal or something in the general time-frame of the blood test ... but that if I am concerned I can always have another test done - but not to drink alchohol in the same general time-frame as the test because alcohol automatically raises your enzymes.

So if there is no point in testing after drinking - as your enzymes will be raised anyway (and that is bad) ... then is the point to testing after no alchohol just to make sure your enzymes are not up in general?

And if that is the case (that your enzymes are normal without drinking but raised when drinking), why is it generally considered not a health risk to drink in moderation (less than 2 shots/glass of wine/two beers, etc.) assuming that any raised enzymes are a health threat?

Bizzaro-world
nothing bizarro about it. Alcohol is bad for the liver---period! Lobbyist and big $$$$$$$ keep the truth about alcohol out of the media. Moderate? What is moderate? Alcohol is alcohol is alcohol. What part of that substance do you think would be considered healthy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 07:35 PM

4,618 posts, read 10,494,859 times
Quote:
I am thinking I should drink for a week and get tested, and then not drink and get tested. I have no clue whether I was drinking or not before the blood tests this summer. Sometimes I will go weeks without drinking at all and sometimes I will drink 3-4 times a week for a few weeks straight. I do binge drink ocassionally.

Ok - so here is a fun question.

Just thought about this. The ER doctors did CBC's. How can they tell your liver enzymes are high from a CBC? I have never actually had a liver function test done before (to my knowledge). I have one of the CBC reports here in front of me (from the 2nd ER visit) and everything looks prettymuch normal. Monocytes are like a point high (whatever that means), but that is it.

I know this is all stuff I should be asking my doc (and will at the appoinment), but it's fun to discuss .
To answer the question you probably already know the answer to:

You can't determine liver function from a CBC.

CBC is a complete blood count, tells the number and types of white cells, number and size and size distribution of red cells and number of platelets.

One red cell index, the MCV or mean corpuscular volume will tend to be elevated in heavy drinkers but it isn't a reliable measure of liver disease ( or alcohol use for that matter)

Old 12-10-2009, 10:29 PM

3,388 posts, read 5,541,016 times
Quote:
True, (and keep in mind I do not know much about this subject), but if the enzymes were at a level of concern ... wouldn't at least one of the doctors tell me (or mention that) I need to have my liver checked out or something to that effect?

You should have been if they were too high.

While any high liver enzyme levels aren't good, super high ones are a cause for concern (even if it isn't what you came in for) and the Doc would have treated you for it.

I had stupid high liver lvls once due to cipro, phenegren, and demerol being directly injected into my IV w/o a saline "chaser" when I had a 4 day stay in the hospital, and I ended up having to stay another 4 days till the lvls balanced out. They were VERY proactive when the lvls got too high.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:56 AM

1 posts, read 17,881 times
What kind of exams/tests do doctors do when testing for whether you hve stopped drinking to get your driver's license back? My sister in law quit drinking about 6 months ago and is afraid to make the appointment to go to the doctor. What can I tell her?

Old 01-08-2011, 12:32 PM

2,185 posts, read 3,888,771 times
I had extremely elevated lipase. I was scared I had liver cancer. They scanned all my organs and ran all kinds of blood tests. Turned out to be nothing.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:44 PM

3,487 posts, read 6,124,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azalea City Man View Post
Nurse just called from my current doctor and said that as of my last blood test done in their office (in June of this year), my enzymes were completely normal (said they were 35 and 34, respectively).

So if there is no point in testing after drinking - as your enzymes will be raised anyway (and that is bad) ... then is the point to testing after no alchohol just to make sure your enzymes are not up in general?

And if that is the case (that your enzymes are normal without drinking but raised when drinking), why is it generally considered not a health risk to drink in moderation (less than 2 shots/glass of wine/two beers, etc.) assuming that any raised enzymes are a health threat?
Depends. If your liver is already failing, your liver enzymes could be normal or low just because your liver has no more capacity to make the normal enzymes. 35 and 34 and kind of on the higher side of normal, what they like to call "upper limits of normal". Just because you are 29 I would not feel completely immune. I have seen multiple people who are in their late 20s die of weird diseases that are probably related to chronic alcohol intake. One girl was popping all sorts of painkillers for her hangovers, then drinking, then popping painkillers... day in and day out. Mix alcohol with the wrong antibiotic.... and you might have a very bad reaction. Also, people process alcohol differently. If I were to have 2 glasses of wine per day I would be dead in a year. Not so for the fast acetylator with high body mass. While it is unlikely your liver is failing, alcohol can be a silent killer so you should consider reducing your intake to less than the recommended level.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:42 PM

4,551 posts, read 9,859,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azalea City Man View Post
Oh well, too late for that. I usually tell my doctors that I drink 3-4 times a week (moderately, as in 1 or 2 or at the most 3 drinks). None of my doctors have ever told me to cut it down, fwiw. Probably because I am young (well 29), fairly healthy, and look athletic ... I don't know.

hahaha! My husband used to say he only had one drink a night, but, it was the entire quart bottle of Vodka that he would guzzle in 20 minutes! Clearly he had a problem and he eventually stopped before he died.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:40 AM

1 posts, read 11,607 times
My liver enzymes have drop my AST was 19 ALT was 17 and my ALP was 85 now my AST is 6 ALT is 5 and my ALP is 104 less than 2 weeks is this a sign of liver disease?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness